Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Probably for concussion reasons if they smash their head off the lip of the pipe on the way down?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Pirates can be cool AND have no teeth.
Ahoy, Me Hearties! You know what else pirates have...... ONE LEG! <I'm an amputee for those that do not know>
In all seriousness, there have been many a time when I have slowed my speed because the thought of dental work has entered my brain. I think a mouth guard would be great.
Fair Winds!
E

·
Registered
751 Posts
Other than hockey players, I didnt know athletes wore mouthguards to protect their teeth.

I always thought it was for concussions. That's why boxers wear mouth guards.

I know a couple people that wear mouthguards. One goes big in the park and the other drops big cliffs.

Obv it's not a bad idea to wear one but for most park riders, I'd think ass pad, wrist guards, etc would more beneficial.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a mouthguard that is the only one I will wear. It's really comfortable, thin, flexible, clear, you can hardly see it in your mouth while you're wearing it. It's called Litebite. Here's their link: Boil and Bite Mouthguards | Sports Mouthguards | Order Yours Today!

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,442 Posts
I find it Ironic that this post was "Necro'd!"

After my slam this last weekend where I cracked my helmet...? I bit my tongue when I hit and almost dislocated my jaw. A mouth guard might have prevented this....

I had a pic I was going to post, but it was kinda gross, (...and a little pervy looking also.) LoL. So I decided against. ???

Also, My teeth came together hard twice this trip as a result of falls.

Im seriously considering a mouthguard for the future.

(...altho my preferred option would be to STOP FALLING!!) ???

·
Registered
86 Posts
After my slam this last weekend where I cracked my helmet...? I bit my tongue when I hit and almost dislocated my jaw. A mouth guard might have prevented this....

I had a pic I was going to post, but it was kinda gross, (...and a little pervy looking also.) LoL. So I decided against. ???
Pics or didn't happen!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a clear retainer called invisalign that I've been wearing for the past 2 seasons. It's not a mouth guard but it's very similar. I've come to like riding with some protection for my teeth, it helps my confidence when I'm sending. It has come in handy a few time, most notably when I went knee to chin with my tongue out. Definitely could have bit my tongue off! But luckily I got away with pain and swelling.

I say that a mouth guard is personal choice. 99% of the time you're not gonna need it. But if it helps you feel more confident on a board or benefits you in any way then there's no reason not too. Screw the haters, do yo thang!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The only time I would consider wearing one is if you do a lot of park or really tight tree runs. Mouth guards actually do a ton to help prevent concussion, not just protect your teeth. I have a couple custom mouth guards I use to where for mixed martial arts. I did MMA for 13 years and can tell you a mouth guard makes a world of difference when getting hit in the head. Don't bother with a boil and bite, they are useless and don't go far enough up the gum line. Get a custom one through Impact guards, gladiator guards, etc. They are custom made for you, won't fall out even if you take a slam, doesn't hinder breathing, and still allows you to talk. I don't wear a guard for snowboarding, but I also don't spend anytime in the park or on rails. But if you are going to get a mouth guard, do it right and get a custom one.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts