Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved here last month from New Mexico. I've been riding for about 12 years and ski'd before that. I've been riding about 20-30 times a season the last 5 years or so,. mostly NM and southern Colorado (Wolf Creek FTW). Had a baby this year and we moved up here to get out of the worst state in the union (at least as far as education is concerned).

So whats the deal? So much to choose from I'm like a kid in a candy store with only a dollar to spend. The move was expensive, I don't think I can afford a pass this season. Everyone i've met locally says its all about Loveland. I would have bought the Epic Local Pass if I had the cash. I was kinda thinking of following the snow and spending 1-2 days at every mountain I can possibly go to, in an attempt to see as much as possible this winter so I know where I want to concentrate next. I also want to finally get some backcountry experience.

As you can see i'm having trouble coming up with a gameplan. Any ideas? Anyone looking for a riding partner? I tend to stick to trails when I'm alone and that is no fun. I ride first chair to last chair and eat lunch on the lift, no wussies allowed. Though i'm still gaining my confidence back after breaking a vertebra early last year at Purg. Anyways, this is all a bit of a babble, just looking for some insight and possible some cool people to ride with. Take it easy.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
LL's usually one of the first to open, closes in May. A season pass gets you 3 free days at Monarch, Purgatory and Crested Butte. Probably 30 minutes from your door? Livin' that close...... a LL pass more then pays for itself.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Get a pass at Loveland. Check out a Friends of Berthoud Pass avalanche awareness class in Golden. Attend the on snow day in February if you are still interested in learning more about backcountry riding or take a Level I. Don't go bc without some training. This state is by far the most dangerous for avalanche fatalities. Get some knowledge of what you are dealing with first. 5 people were snuffed out within spitting distance of the Loveland ski area last season. You don't want to mess with that dragon.

Fortunately, it is easy enough to learn about and it is damn fun. I won't deny that.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Yep you cant beat the price at luv, only major drawback to luv is the wind at times and I wish they would pave the damn parking lot.

Copper has four packs for $139 I think and I think they are throwing in an extra day on some specials.

·
Registered
964 Posts
There are pros and cons to every place, but does the gravel lot really get a tick in the "cons" column? It has always been a non-issue for me.

If anything, Id say some of my favorite places I like to ride have non paved lots (Abasin, Loveland, Mary Jane, etc...).

Coincidence?

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
There are pros and cons to every place, but does the gravel lot really get a tick in the "cons" column? It has always been a non-issue for me.

If anything, Id say some of my favorite places I like to ride have non paved lots (Abasin, Loveland, Mary Jane, etc...).

Coincidence?
Not even a little bit. The spots you listed don't cater to the "I need a paved parking lot" crowd and I for one and happy for that. Their ski hills, not resorts. Those are the spots I prefer.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
don't go to loveland its expensive and cold and crowded and windy and full of gaper texans and it never snows

·
Registered
12,613 Posts
Yep you cant beat the price at luv, only major drawback to luv is the wind at times and I wish they would pave the damn parking lot.

Copper has four packs for $139 I think and I think they are throwing in an extra day on some specials.
I think Copper is bringing back the powder pass again this year 99 bucks if it snows 4 inches or more you can use it that day. Use it twice you've come out ahead.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
I think Copper is bringing back the powder pass again this year 99 bucks if it snows 4 inches or more you can use it that day. Use it twice you've come out ahead.
Copper is the best resort in CO (ish!) and the snow day pass is certainly the sickest deal around if your schedule is open.

yea yea i was being sarcasmic before and now i'm not, its confusing.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts