Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm a little unsure about this... I was looking for some new boots. I've always used traditional lacing because I started riding in the early 90s before the BOA thing. I've borrowed boots, rented boots, demo'd boots...But I've always, always, always had heel lift problems. No matter what boots I ride, I get heel lift. I've been wearing boots 1/2 too small trying to prevent heel lift, and I STILL get it, but with added numbness as well.

So with no on-hill experience whatsoever I pulled the trigger on a pair of double BOA boots online. The K2 Contour (basically the women's version of the Maysis.) They are supposed to be good for preventing heel lift. They have BOA lacing for both the outer and the lining.

But I got a couple questions about the whole BOA thing. There is one BOA wheel for the entire outer lacing. How do you adjust the top or bottom of the boot independently (or can you not do that?) In a perfect world these boots will actually fit on the hill and I won't need to adjust/tighten around the ankle while trying desperately to keep the bottom looser and blood in my toes. But how is this supposed to work? I can't figure this out.

Also, by the time I really pack 'em out, I won't be able to return them. I'm a little worried about the cables causing issues when they do pack out, like digging into the boot or my foot. Does the BOA lacing become painful over time, or are they pretty reliably comfy long term?

*NOTE* Yes, I bought a pair of boots online site unseen. I know, I know. I'm trying to save some money! In NYC, you are paying MSRP even on past season's gear in the brick and mortar store. So even with return shipping, I'm still saving crazy cash. While a pro bootfitting would be preferable, it prolly ain't happening.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah if those boots do just have one boa dial for the outer lacing then you can't adjust both zones. It just tightens the entire boot all at once. I had a pair of Ride Jackson Boa's like this. They did not work for me. I like to keep my foot area pretty loose and my ankle pretty tight. So to get the ankle as tight as I liked it in the Ride, I had to crank them down which pretty much murdered my foot. I probably rode 10 or so days in them before moving to a pair of Salomon Synapse Double Boa's which have a dial for the foot and the ankle separately. This let me keep the foot loose and the ankle tight.

I wouldn't give up on them just yet as they may fit you perfectly but know that if you like to keep your ankle tight and your foot loose, this may not work out.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I have the Maysis and they are very comfortable and warm.
The first few days, I overtightened the inner boa to reduce heel lift, which led to some numbness for about a week, so now I'm careful about not overdoing it.
Due to my narrow heels, I had to add foam J-bars to the liner which helped the heel lift a lot and I don't need to tighten the inner boa as much.
I also loosen the outer boa before I get on the chair, as I like to ride with the outer boa tight.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhhhh. Ok. I see what the deal is. "Double BOA" means inner and out BOAs, rather than top/bottom BOA.

Makes sense, I can ride with the inner pretty tight for the ankle and other somewhat looser the toe box. That seems to work in the living room. But until you are carving ice its hard to know how boots will ride.

Easy and quick loosening of the outer for lift rides was one of the biggest reasons I jumped on the BOA actually.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ahhhhh. Ok. I see what the deal is. "Double BOA" means inner and out BOAs, rather than top/bottom BOA.

Makes sense, I can ride with the inner pretty tight for the ankle and other somewhat looser the toe box. That seems to work in the living room. But until you are carving ice its hard to know how boots will ride.

Easy and quick loosening of the outer for lift rides was one of the biggest reasons I jumped on the BOA actually.
Well I believe that is true for this boot. On most boots I have seen "Double BOA" means a dial for the ankle and a dial for the foot. My boots (Salomon Synapse) are like this.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Boa focus usually specified that it was an upper and lower. Not sure if they still follow that rule.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
What the double boa does is going to depend on the brand. The K2 Contour is a Boa Conda double boa... Same as my Maysis. Definitely work on adjusting the position of the conda piece so it's in the right spot for your foot. You should be able to get great heel hold without cranking the crap out of it. I know I was anyway, but the first time I tried to wear it around the house I had it in the wrong spot and it hurt almost right away, and my foot started falling asleep within a couple minutes. It's super adjustable though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Put some soft foam on the top of your foot/front ankle area. . This will stop your heel lift as the re is nowhere for it to go.
Works for me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ahhhh rock on. I get it. Next year I will have to pick up some Triple Boas...which K2 totally has for guys but not for ladies.

I was wearing a women's 7.5 when my street size is an 8. So I can probably wear a men's 7 unless they are way wider than women's boots.

I'm just thrilled to be wearing my actual size. The half size too small toe scrunching business was not good. We'll see if its as good on the hill in about 30 days!

OMG I just realized I can probably squeeze my insoles in these boots! Oh joy. My 1/2 too small boots wouldn't take the insole without my feet turning blue. I need to pick up another pair.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Boas are a bit different, you can do them up too tight and cause some major pain halfway down a run. It usually takes me a full run to tweak it for the rest of the day. I like them, there's just that learning curve to getting them dialed in perfectly.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
The BOA liners are supposed to be pretty great for snugging up, so you may have your ankle lift problem solved there.

You can effect how tight zones get on with the single BOA by how you tweak your foot. I believe leaning forward, gets the lower zones tighter while obviously the upper zone will not be as tight. Yoga for boots. I use BOA boots that do the Upper/Lower but not the liner. Try 'em when you get them. If you don't like how they work, I'd just send them back and get the triple BOA model or go with something else. I think there are some boots out there that just have the BOA liner now. Which from what I've seen is probably the best system to cinch a liner up that is out there.

I might be confusing some ski boot models too though. Saw so god damn many boots at SIA that I only remember a few in particular.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
BOA's won't eliminate heel lift. Even with my brand new DC Status boots I could lift my heel if I try to in one boot but not the other. So it's more about the construction and shape of the boot and the shape of your heel. J hooks are what you want to eliminate heel lift. Or you could use foam tape to achieve the same thing. Just pull out your liner and put some foam where you think you need it to lock your heel down on the outside of the liner. The extra pressure from that point with any luck will be enough to lock you in.

oops just noticed wrath's post where I learned how to do that...Just follow his guide.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Heat Mold Em

Before you ride in them, take them to your local store and have them heat mold them to your foot. Usually if they sell K2 gear, they'll do it for free or cheap - you need to do it before you ride as if you do it after, your feet sweat will funk up the store - not cool ha ha.

I have the K2 Maysis Double and had the Raider single before. FYI, on my K2 Maysis model, there is no pad protector for the wire - which means if you ride a lot and use your free foot to hold your board, eventually the edges will cut against the boa wire. While I never had a wire break, by the end of the season the wires did get frayed. K2 repaired mine this year for free. Best idea is to create some strap to protect them...

Also, always always always bring your old spare boots on a long trip. My Raider Boa tightener broke one day and it was a day ending affair. Thus I always try and bring both boots with me just in case. Paranoid but whatever.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
BOA's won't eliminate heel lift. Even with my brand new DC Status boots I could lift my heel if I try to in one boot but not the other. So it's more about the construction and shape of the boot and the shape of your heel. J hooks are what you want to eliminate heel lift. Or you could use foam tape to achieve the same thing. Just pull out your liner and put some foam where you think you need it to lock your heel down on the outside of the liner. The extra pressure from that point with any luck will be enough to lock you in.

oops just noticed wrath's post where I learned how to do that...Just follow his guide.
Not really. You are talking about a different double Boa configuration: The Status had the Boa for upper and lower zones, but both for the shell - which does not directly address heel lift. In OP's case the second Boa is internal, which actually does a pretty good job of addressing heel lift.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Before you ride in them, take them to your local store and have them heat mold them to your foot. Usually if they sell K2 gear, they'll do it for free or cheap - you need to do it before you ride as if you do it after, your feet sweat will funk up the store - not cool ha ha.

I have the K2 Maysis Double and had the Raider single before. FYI, on my K2 Maysis model, there is no pad protector for the wire - which means if you ride a lot and use your free foot to hold your board, eventually the edges will cut against the boa wire. While I never had a wire break, by the end of the season the wires did get frayed. K2 repaired mine this year for free. Best idea is to create some strap to protect them...

Also, always always always bring your old spare boots on a long trip. My Raider Boa tightener broke one day and it was a day ending affair. Thus I always try and bring both boots with me just in case. Paranoid but whatever.
Best idea is actually not to rest your board on the instep of your boot. In fact, supporting your board that way will cut through laces even faster than through Boa cables.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Best Foot Rest

True on not resting on my foot; yet I cringe to put my sharp edges on the foot rests and by mid day start cramping if I don't put em somewhere...old fart type :dunno:

Your rec?

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
True on not resting on my foot; yet I cringe to put my sharp edges on the foot rests and by mid day start cramping if I don't put em somewhere...old fart type :dunno:

Your rec?
Hook the toe of your boot under the heel cup of the binding. Problem solved.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts