Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
legally and not legally m/s is snow rated.
M+S is not snow rated in Canada. It may be snow rated in Washington though.
A M+S tire may also have the severe service symbol and I think from your previous post, the tires you are running have this symbol.

Transport Canada:
How can you tell a true winter tire? Just look for the severe service symbol.

The severe service winter tire designation looks like a peaked mountain with a snowflake in the middle. When you see a tire with the mountain snowflake pictograph on the sidewall, you know it meets specific snow traction performance requirements.

Winter Tire Safety Tips - Transport Canada

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
I have mountain snowflake, I am aware of it and buy them because of this rating. Im giving general information thatd doesnt include needing full snow tires while driving on 40F pavement because the tire company tells me to.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,023 Posts
I'm having a hell of a time finding Rav4s in 4WD for some reason.
Was the same when I searched for a used (but not too old, not too much milage) RAV4 AWD over here. No chance, even though it's a very common car over here. They're like rainbows. You see them everywhere but can't get them :). Ppl just don't sell them, you buy one and keep it cos it reliably runs and runs.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have mountain snowflake, I am aware of it and buy them because of this rating. Im giving general information thatd doesnt include needing full snow tires while driving on 40F pavement because the tire company tells me to.
This thread is awesome.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
When he first posted that, I was like

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
So for I-90 and the few other passes, does chains required mean in your vehicle or on your tires or you will be ticketed?

·
Registered
237 Posts
So for I-90 and the few other passes, does chains required mean in your vehicle or on your tires or you will be ticketed?
Chains required means on your tires unless AWD or you can be ticketed. You are required to carry them at all times in all cars during winter going over the passes is how I understood it.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
So, just an update. Going with the 4WD option. I figure with my short time in the PNW, if I'm gonna be there and experience everything I want, I don't wanna miss out because I can't get there. Might as well buy the car that gets me there and does everything else I need/want too. Can't imagine living out there for 4 years and not being able to ride on a pow day or see certain parts of the outdoors there.

Would break my heart. Thanks for all the info though dudes. Definitely helped me out. Can't wait to see an actual mountain for the first time in my life....:dance:....well minus Stowe..

·
Registered
624 Posts
You don't need 4wd, but for me not having to pull over and chain up is worth having 4wd (Honda Element) even though it rarely engages into 4wd.

I cut my teeth learning how to drive in snow on the Mt Baker Hwy with front wheel drive for years before buying 4wd. In over 30 yrs of boarding and driving to Baker/Stevens I've only chained up one time and that was only on one tire, because I got ran into the bank by a out of control car.

We're on the hwy at least an hour before most, before the slope dopes who cant drive in snow and the cops (still eating breakfast). Its easier to drive in fresh then after the hundreds of Zambonis' that have polished the snow to a black ice.

Welcome to the PNW, but you'll probably be moving back because Washington doesn't get good powder, let your friends know that also.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
So what passes would I need chains? What resorts am I not gonna be able to get to without chains or AWD? From what I can tell Snoqualine is the only pass that has requirements for chains? So I would really only miss out on pow days at The Summit?

Having a hell of a time selling my car for a 4WD. Contemplating waiting till I get to WA to sell mine and get a Subaru Forester or Ford Ranger and have a shitty gas friendly car in the summer.

·
Registered
905 Posts
So what passes would I need chains? What resorts am I not gonna be able to get to without chains or AWD? From what I can tell Snoqualine is the only pass that has requirements for chains? So I would really only miss out on pow days at The Summit?

Having a hell of a time selling my car for a 4WD. Contemplating waiting till I get to WA to sell mine and get a Subaru Forester or Ford Ranger and have a shitty gas friendly car in the summer.

Not sure how much actual car size matters to you, but i recently picked up a 2017 Honda hr-v with awd. Not the most glamorous little SUV and the ride is far from exciting but it's got tons of storage and is a breeze to park in the city. Gas has been nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
As far as I know any of the passes can require chains on your tires. Legally you must carry chains when traveling over any of the passes, whether or not you think you will need them (although I believe this is only enforced if you get stuck or are not using them when required). In my opinion if you can't justify buying an AWD car you will survive with just chains, just don't try to go without either. At the very least you can give it a try for awhile and if you can't stand chaining up you can always look into AWD again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Out here it is pretty simple... AWD makes it so that you don't have to put chains on when they are required. It is rare that you would see AWD and chains. They just close the pass if this is the case. So yes get Blizaks and an AWD wip.
The tire thing is so funny to me because having them makes you safer in the winter and your summer tires last twice as long so it isn't really money gone.

We don't get much ICE so studs are not really needed.

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
chain law can go into effect on all of the roads leading to the resorts where you're looking(the entire PNW). Stevens, Snoq, Crystal, Baker or basically any mountain road. Chain NEED can go into effect anywhere with the right winter storm and 2wd/fwd.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I guess I'd ask how often o the guys who have 2WD and chains, how many times a year do you say you chain up? It's looking like I'm just gonna suck up the chaining. Too hard to find sell my car and get a 4WD right now. Too invested in my car. Wish I knew I was leaving FL a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Not sure how much actual car size matters to you, but i recently picked up a 2017 Honda hr-v with awd. Not the most glamorous little SUV and the ride is far from exciting but it's got tons of storage and is a breeze to park in the city. Gas has been nice too.

I've def eyed that car up. I might check it out if I can't grab a Rav4. Like it better because of the tire on the back means storage bins underneath the trunk where the tire normally goes. But, maybe I'll sacrifice that who knows.

Thanks though. Heard Honda is right up there with Toyota.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've def eyed that car up. I might check it out if I can't grab a Rav4. Like it better because of the tire on the back means storage bins underneath the trunk where the tire normally goes. But, maybe I'll sacrifice that who knows.

Thanks though. Heard Honda is right up there with Toyota.

Yeah you lose the storage bin. But there is still a ton of space. And if you opted for roof racks, even more. It's why I chose it over the Mazda cx-3. Toyotas are awesome but I tend to overlook them because they are usually a few k more than hondas or nissans for same class vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Just for the record I have spent most of my driving to the mountains life with FWD and good snow tires. There was a day in my Golf where we were driving from Tofino to Mt Washington and we were the first car on the pass before any plows or any vehicles. I was literally plowing snow as it was deeper than my front bumper and I seriously had no issues.
I drove my Focus to and from Vancouver to Salmon Arm twice a month through the winter, through storms and whatever with no issues as well.
And then keep in mind been living at ski hills and going to them religiously since 1997, road trips to Baker, Red, White Water ect. and never have one had to put chains on to my FWD.

While it is true that 4x4/AWD is better it does not mean that FWD is no good. If you say FWD is no good in winter you are probably a shitty driver.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts