Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
While it is true that 4x4/AWD is better it does not mean that FWD is no good. If you say FWD is no good in winter you are probably a shitty driver.
"Shitty driver"? Or "less experienced at driving potentially dangerous passes in the winter"? Not everyone has been making trips like that for 20 years.

Same argument as "nah that pow board can definitely rip groomers and crush the park too just check out [insert dope professional riders name here]'s edit from last season. He did a 1080 oh fuck grab both front and backside at the same time on a Hovercraft...on rollers.... you just suck and don't know how to get the most out of your board".

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
I still occasionally get a chuckle out of that guy who was trying to say that you need specialty winter tires for driving under 40 degrees regardless of road conditions.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
"Shitty driver"? Or "less experienced at driving potentially dangerous passes in the winter"? Not everyone has been making trips like that for 20 years.

Same argument as "nah that pow board can definitely rip groomers and crush the park too just check out [insert dope professional riders name here]'s edit from last season. He did a 1080 oh fuck grab both front and backside at the same time on a Hovercraft...on rollers.... you just suck and don't know how to get the most out of your board".
Oh yeah. That too.

So get a lesson :giggle:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I'm asking about 4WD more as a legal thing because of chain laws at this point not ability. I've been driving in snow since I learned to drive. Just wondering if I'll be legally required to put on chains every weekend going to the mountains.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm asking about 4WD more as a legal thing because of chain laws at this point not ability. I've been driving in snow since I learned to drive. Just wondering if I'll be legally required to put on chains every weekend going to the mountains.

Yeah man. Your question is completely valid. It's some of the responses that are suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
And it's been answered already:
No.

You are required by law to CARRY chains unless you have 4wd.

EDIT: But still, transit authorities may totally require stuff that is conditions specific. From turning people around to closing the whole road altogether.......

·
Registered
237 Posts
Every weekend? No. However you will likely be required to chain up a few times a year. I got 40+ days at Snoqualmie this year, and had probably around 5 days that were chains required (I'm AWD so that's my best estimate). A few of those days were very sketchy at least one only was bad on the last little stretch to the summit. I only went on my weekends but if you are taking days off for powder days then obviously you will need to chain up more. And on the day when there wasn't much snow at the chain up points but there was snow towards the summit I did see a cop with someone pulled over.

Edit: One thing to remember is most people in this area have very little experience driving in the snow. At least with Snoqualmie pass you end up with a lot of people trying to take their kids to play in the snow or are just trying to get to the other side of the state that are not prepared for bad conditions.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Every weekend? No. However you will likely be required to chain up a few times a year. I got 40+ days at Snoqualmie this year, and had probably around 5 days that were chains required (I'm AWD so that's my best estimate). A few of those days were very sketchy at least one only was bad on the last little stretch to the summit. I only went on my weekends but if you are taking days off for powder days then obviously you will need to chain up more. And on the day when there wasn't much snow at the chain up points but there was snow towards the summit I did see a cop with someone pulled over.

Edit: One thing to remember is most people in this area have very little experience driving in the snow. At least with Snoqualmie pass you end up with a lot of people trying to take their kids to play in the snow or are just trying to get to the other side of the state that are not prepared for bad conditions.
Ahh awesome thank you. Yea that gives me a bit of a good picture how the hassle will be.

Chains or AWD I'm sure I'll have the time of my life. Can't wait to ride some actual mountains. I'll be sure to take the roads seriously. Getting there an hour late is better than in a ditch not riding at all.

Thanks guys. Hopefully I see some of you up there.

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
I hope so, that would mean another great winter.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts

It's not the same argument at all. If you need a snowboard analogy it would be more like I have a trad camber it rips in the park but I also ride it on powder days, and someone else arguing that camber is not as good as rocker in the pow and therefore should be avoided at all costs.

And your right not everyone has been making trips like that for 20 years...But everyone started out doing that first white knuckle winter pass for the first time.

Riding powder on a camber or driving with FWD both just need a few adjustments to match the conditions. If you as a rider or driver cant make those adjustments then sorry you are shitty at it. Nothing wrong with that. If you have the luxury of buying that pow deck or that 4x4 by all means do it. Or learn to use what you got.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Lets just say that you dont want to drive your front , rear or allwheel drive car on a curvy german/austrian highway at 160+ km/h in winter temperatures with summer or allseason tires. There are laws here about changing your tires with snowflake symbol ones after like octomber/november dont know for shure. They behave diferent below 44.6 f or 7 degrees that is what study's are saying. Dont know but i dont see a lot of allseason tyres in this parts of europe. I think it differs from a region to another.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The whole AWD vs FWD vs RWD has been debated to death over the years, so I'm not going to touch that.

I will say though there are MANY times a winter that chains are required except for AWD/4WD for most mountain routes. Putting on chains is not a difficult thing to do, but I'd rather just not have to worry about it. That being said, I only drive AWD/4WD vehicles in the winter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Most places in the PNW will have a electronic sign to warn in advance if chains are required which is easily found when googling for the WSDOT winter driving website
Also studded tires are only legal from Nov 1st to March 31st

I personally drive a Subie Outback, never needed chains/socks but drove carefully but I have them in the back since legally I have to have it in the vehicle.

I have seen a lot of people make futile attempts with smaller FWD or RWD and get stuck or worse or barely able to turn around and head back to Seattle.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts