Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Haha, yep, got season passes for the family

First trip will be first week in June, just going to try get my nearly 6 year old up on his board in happy valley. Hopefully the lifts will be open later in June for an early run if there is enough snow.

Got a mate over from Aussie for a week in July, but will just watch the weather and be ready to go when we get a good day.

Put in applications for the Taupo Ski Club, bit as we are out of zone we have had to get in line. Hopefully find out soon if we are accepted.

Just picked up a new board and boots so looking forward to having decent gear this year!

When you heading up for your first trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey manic, hows it going?! Must've missed this thread somehow.

Yep, as usual, season pass bought at the end of last season.

Starting to get all the gear/boards sorted already, I have a couple of new old boards to try this year. I intend to be at Turoa either day 1 or day 2. I can't believe how quiet it was on opening weekend last year, so I'm gonna have another go!

I've got a few work mates might be up for some trips this year as well. Will have to let you know what we're up to.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, yep, got season passes for the family

First trip will be first week in June, just going to try get my nearly 6 year old up on his board in happy valley. Hopefully the lifts will be open later in June for an early run if there is enough snow.

Got a mate over from Aussie for a week in July, but will just watch the weather and be ready to go when we get a good day.

Put in applications for the Taupo Ski Club, bit as we are out of zone we have had to get in line. Hopefully find out soon if we are accepted.

Just picked up a new board and boots so looking forward to having decent gear this year!

When you heading up for your first trip?
I haven't planned my first trip yet but I'm really keen to get up there early. My annual leave balance is taking a hit this year with time off for Easter, a trip to Hawaii later this year and a couple of days off for Metallica >:) Will see what I can fit in.

My kids are 7, 5 and 3. We should meet up sometime. My oldest progressed to the Rockgarden last year, 6 seems the age they start to really take off.

I heard the clubs are struggling for new members so you might find one easily enough even if you don't get your first choice.

Hey manic, hows it going?! Must've missed this thread somehow.

Yep, as usual, season pass bought at the end of last season.

Starting to get all the gear/boards sorted already, I have a couple of new old boards to try this year. I intend to be at Turoa either day 1 or day 2. I can't believe how quiet it was on opening weekend last year, so I'm gonna have another go!

I've got a few work mates might be up for some trips this year as well. Will have to let you know what we're up to.
Hey Motley! Doing well apart from niggling injuries :D Hope you suffered the snowless summer okay?

I'm considering getting on my NS Cobra again to see what the difference is after riding camber all 2018.

Keep in touch, I'm definitely keen on doing more days with ya :banana:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds Great

Will PM you my number, and let you know when we up.

I also find kids pick things up quicker if they have someone the same age that they can compete with and egg them on.

Yeah, hoping on one of the clubs as with a 3 year old it will be handy not to have to head down the mountain when she gets gold or loses the plot

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds Great

Will PM you my number, and let you know when we up.

I also find kids pick things up quicker if they have someone the same age that they can compete with and egg them on.

Yeah, hoping on one of the clubs as with a 3 year old it will be handy not to have to head down the mountain when she gets gold or loses the plot

Last year our then 2 year old enjoyed a little snowboarding but he's a big lad! We pointed him downhill and ran ahead to catch him. Stopped before he got bored or cold.

I'll PM you some vids I uploaded.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Happy Valley opened today, looks like they had a good covering last night with snow forecast for the next few days.

Hopefully be good to go in a couple of weeks when we head down

·
Registered
119 Posts
We've got snow on Mount Taranaki this morning as well. Said on their FB page that they're sending a crew up to assess the field, might be open tomorrow. They don't need a lot to open, so fingers crossed.

Could be starting the 2019 season tomorrow!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Went up for the weekend for the rugrat’s 6th Birthday.
Weather was shit, snow virtually nonexistent but was a good weekend nonetheless (lots of red wine and beer)

Gave my son a board and boots for his birthday so was great to get him on it, took to it like a duck to water! Fully independent on the snow by day 2, I could just help the wife who is learning this year and not quite as natural as the little guy.
Reckon another 2 or three days on happy valley and he will be good to go

833f5596-7c74-461d-9e94-4e4cf5a37b47.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went up for the weekend for the rugrat’s 6th Birthday.
Weather was shit, snow virtually nonexistent but was a good weekend nonetheless (lots of red wine and beer)

Gave my son a board and boots for his birthday so was great to get him on it, took to it like a duck to water! Fully independent on the snow by day 2, I could just help the wife who is learning this year and not quite as natural as the little guy.
Reckon another 2 or three days on happy valley and he will be good to go
Nice!

So little snow though :(

We'll be at Whakapapa on Wednesday 17 July in the school holidays on the way back from Auckland. Feel free to join us!

Got this gear so far in my quest to equip the kids on the cheap:
- 120cm M3 board, Burton bindings, Burton boots (for 7 y/o) Half retail price on TradeMe, 1 season old :) Stoked about that.
- 106cm Rossi board, bindings, boots (for 5 y/o) Old stuff, but yay $50 on TradeMe!!
- Tiny size 1 Burton boots (for 3 y/o) :) $80 on Facebook marketplace

Now I need an 80cm board and bindings. Unfortunately the little boots don't fit in the bindings on the Rossi!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Awesome

I love bargain shopping,my son’s gear was a Facebook market bargain, boots, board and bindings for $60

I think we might be looking at a similar time, will keep in touch!
We are joining the havelock ski club to maximise on accommodation on the mountain, so hopefully will be frequenting it a lot more!

New board is awesome, still trying to break in the boots, my toes hurt like hell!

Yeah, the snow is very sparse, they are having to make snow to keep happy valley open, turoa is looking quite good though.

You can see my wife in the black and white on the video on the Ruapehu Facebook page sitting on her arse in the snow

It’s a bit crap that they won’t do board lessons for under 8s, I am happy to teach my son but I never had any lessons so don’t exactly know what I am doing, will have to watch some YouTube vids on coaching him to turn. How did you get yours to turn?

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They DO do lessons for under 8 snowboarders on Ruapehu - unless they've changed their policy... :p My then 6 y/o got a group lesson (by himself) last season at Whakapapa. It really helped with technique! The two years before that we'd just point him down the slope and catch him. Now he he's really getting the hang of it. The lesson basically got him used to walking around with one foot out and then taught him to turn by pointing in the direction he wants to go (look at the vid I sent you in IM).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nah, changed their policy now, wouldn’t even hire a board to my mates 6 year old so they had to share!

Yeah, he is good to go with the one boot off, I pretty much can just let him go and he is independent rides down, whips binding off, on the magic carpet then rebinds at the top and goes down the slope again, just trying to get him to turn better, taught him the pout the arm but he still turns like an ocean liner

He can stop on a dime though!

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nah, changed their policy now, wouldn’t even hire a board to my mates 6 year old so they had to share!

Yeah, he is good to go with the one boot off, I pretty much can just let him go and he is independent rides down, whips binding off, on the magic carpet then rebinds at the top and goes down the slope again, just trying to get him to turn better, taught him the pout the arm but he still turns like an ocean liner

He can stop on a dime though!

It's so good once they start being able to do laps without assistance!! Remember learning with a poma? Even worse than a t-bar...

Sucks they changed their policy, what a dick move. The odd young kid wanting to snowboard is clearly too difficult for their business model... On the plus side, they're starting up chain hire again on the road up I heard, so that's a good thing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's so good once they start being able to do laps without assistance!! Remember learning with a poma? Even worse than a t-bar...

Sucks they changed their policy, what a dick move. The odd young kid wanting to snowboard is clearly too difficult for their business model... On the plus side, they're starting up chain hire again on the road up I heard, so that's a good thing.

Yeah, it’s real good, shouldn’t be long now!
I only learnt last year at turoa so never been on a poma , this year may be a first!

That’s good, was looking at buying some but if they are hiring we will go that route

1 - 20 of 45 Posts