Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

new season is coming and after spending a few years away from snowboarding I am coming back at it with a new sb deck. I laid my eyes on the Mullair, which is exactly what i need.

my style is to charge hard on the piste, occasionally get into woods and so far going off piste has been a nightmare due to my prev deck.

i am 143lb and i am 5 10” been riding for 15years.

Man, over the past 5 years things have changed quite a bit and my gear is older anyways! So i decided on the mullair (was looking to get the 2019 v coz the artwork is better). I think it fits perfectly my style of riding and will give me the opportunity to go in pow and really enjoy it. My prev deck was a v old Burton 154 Camber super heavy, super old tech.

i decided to go with the mullair 159, which i found online at a v good price for a new 2019 model. Only thing i am worried is that this deck will be 5cm longer and i heard a person telling me that a modern deck which is 155 feels like a 160 due to profile tech but i aint buying that salesy line (am i wrong?) anyways, my question is will theboard be too stiff and difficult for my weight or is it doable? I like stability, not much of a park anyways. My old board felt like skateboard at times, and burned my back leg in deeper snow so couldnt go there with it much.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Well the benefit is you're never getting bucked off your line. It will be cumbersome in the trees and won't be very nimble though. Part of that being the size at your weight, part of that being the Mullair just isn't lively or snappy. It will also definitely float better for you than a 54 Custom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My analytical brain was thinking... 4cm is 3% of the length of the board. I can just compensate 3% with riding style and maybe added gear and a pound here and there. I guess I might be wrong reading your comment. I am not much of a person who rides between the trees. I mainly wanted to go off piste and do treks and ride down the mountains. I wonder if doing jumps with it will be also difficult?

would you say that it would be ideal if i weighted 155-160

·
Registered
386 Posts
Looking at the manufacturers specs, says you’re good with the 159. Just realize you’re gonna need to take many days on piste before going off. I drooled over that board a few years ago. Looks like a fun, “do most things” board. The trade off with length is stability at speed over quick edge to edge tree riding. But if you’re experienced as you say you’ll learn to adapt. Custom is full camber and seemed short for you by description. I say go big or go home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My analytical brain was thinking... 4cm is 3% of the length of the board. I can just compensate 3% with riding style and maybe added gear and a pound here and there. I guess I might be wrong reading your comment. I am not much of a person who rides between the trees. I mainly wanted to go off piste and do treks and ride down the mountains. I wonder if doing jumps with it will be also difficult?

would you say that it would be ideal if i weighted 155-160

·
Registered
45 Posts
I weigh 210 lbs and ride a Mullair 159. I’ve ridden Union T. Rice bindings on it before and have switched to Falcors. The Mullair needs stiff bindings to be ridden properly.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I have a 159w Mullair and really like it, although I'd say it rides a bit shorter than its stated length due to setback, tight sidecut, and the rocker in the nose. It's still stable though because it's a stiff board. I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs so this is definitely on the shorter side for me, and the float is fine but nothing to write home about compared to a dedicated powder board. At my size the 159w barely hits the freeride category and is more a nimble all-mountain board with no speed limit.

I think for what you want you'll be fine on the 159 if you're after stability and float. If you want to prioritize being nimble through trees, I'd size it lower. I do agree with the "use stiff bindings" advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don’t want to open a new topic because my question is related...

re: bindings - i have a pair of old Mikey LeBlanc bindings, which i was really happy with. There were some comments about riding the mullair with stiff bindings. Would it be terrible to use the Drake or should i seriously consider getting new bindings as well?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I don’t want to open a new topic because my question is related...

re: bindings - i have a pair of old Mikey LeBlanc bindings, which i was really happy with. There were some comments about riding the mullair with stiff bindings. Would it be terrible to use the Drake or should i seriously consider getting new bindings as well?

Thanks!
Stiff bindings, particularly ones with a stiffer base, are going to help you flex the board torsionally. Not sure how stiff your Drake bindings are. I've ridden the Mullair with Union TRice Pro bindings, Rome Targas, and Rome DoD's. Targas were the best of the bunch and the board feels way more fun and a lot more maneuverable with those. The way the Mullair rides is so far removed from the hippy graphics on it that I think it fools a lot of people into thinking it's gonna be a soft easy ride. It's not and the more leverage you have on it the more it comes alive.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
I mean those bindings are what, 15 years old? Plastic ages. Stuff is WAY better now. Get something with some power or precision since the board is kind of a slug. Now Recons, ODrives, or Drives, Ride El Hefes, Flow Fuse or NX2 any variant, Rome Blacklables or Targas, or Flux XF of XV.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts