Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I’m not sure what you’re reading but it lists 6.0 and 6.5 right here:

Both sizes are listed in the drop-down as well, but they say sold out.
...interesting. Checked my browser history and apparently I was for some reason taken to the Canadian K2 site, which only listed from 7 and up. Perhaps Canadians have larger feet. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Finally got my Salomon Hi-Fi Wides in a 25.0 (the smallest the do). They do look like £380 boots (with a triple lacing system etc) so super chuffed to get them for just over £200.

But I've worn round the house for an hour tonight and they feel comfy - I was expecting them to be super tight and uncomfortable. Well at at least until after a few days of riding. I did get some ache on the outside arch of my left foot after half an hour but it appeared to go about 15 minutes later. To be honest, walking in them, they don't feel hugely different to my 32s Lashed @ 26.0 :-(.

I've still got two weeks of riding booked in this season so tempted just to keep them and see how they are on the slopes. My 32s are pretty done although I did just put new Elite liners in them. I can't see the elusive K2 Maysis Wide anywhere in a 24.0/24.5 and don't really want to ask someone to order in a boot that might not fit. The Deeluxe in a 24.5 (at just their standard width) have been suggested here, and they do look like sweet boots, but I'd be taking a total punt in the dark on both sizing and model (or rather limited to what I can find).

So the question is am I overthinking it all and should at least try and board in the Salomons (I kinda trust Wiredsport's judgement) or do I keep ordering and trying on different boots/sizes until I'm sure?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Finally got my Salomon Hi-Fi Wides in a 25.0 (the smallest the do). They do look like £380 boots (with a triple lacing system etc) so super chuffed to get them for just over £200.

But I've worn round the house for an hour tonight and they feel comfy - I was expecting them to be super tight and uncomfortable. Well at at least until after a few days of riding. I did get some ache on the outside arch of my left foot after half an hour but it appeared to go about 15 minutes later. To be honest, walking in them, they don't feel hugely different to my 32s Lashed @ 26.0 :-(.

I've still got two weeks of riding booked in this season so tempted just to keep them and see how they are on the slopes. My 32s are pretty done although I did just put new Elite liners in them. I can't see the elusive K2 Maysis Wide anywhere in a 24.0/24.5 and don't really want to ask someone to order in a boot that might not fit. The Deeluxe in a 24.5 (at just their standard width) have been suggested here, and they do look like sweet boots, but I'd be taking a total punt in the dark on both sizing and model (or rather limited to what I can find).

So the question is am I overthinking it all and should at least try and board in the Salomons (I kinda trust Wiredsport's judgement) or do I keep ordering and trying on different boots/sizes until I'm sure?
Chuffed = Stoked? I'm going to try using that. Sounds like you could be mad, but you're stoked.

Try putting the new Elite liners for the larger boots in the new smaller ones if you feel like you need to suck up more volume. You can heat form in there to move the EVA from high spots to low spots and really fill in those shells.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts

I wish you good luck, good Sir, and hope that your journey to an appropriate boot will not be as long and painful as mine. You might be overthinking it, but seeing that you don't have a "normal" foot it might in fact not be a bad thing. Problem is, you can only know if a boot will fit if you actually try it for a couple of days. Now you have the Salomons - try them. This will most likely cost you a lot - embrace it. :)

Personally I find Deeluxe's site not very helpful - but I've been in touch with them previously and they claim that their boots will fit even a 3E if you buy the thermo flex liners and heat mold them. I've quickly browsed their website and (disclaimer: I don't really know wtf I'm talking about now, just intelligent guessing) maybe you should take a look at the Empire, simply because it's Tadashi Fuse's boot. He's Japanese and your foot looks a bit like an "Asian fit" - i.e. wide front, narrow ankle and heel. A.k.a. "platypus foot". :)

Which brings us to the next possible route: the Asian fit route. Some companies release Asian fit versions of the boots, basically E width boots with narrow ankles. But this should be considered the last resort, as it involves overseas ordering and punts in the dark, as you described it.

I personally think the correct way of getting boots is the following:
  • Get a boot in correct Mondo size that doesn't pinch or give you any hot spots, or makes you pronate or supinate
  • Get a custom foot bed
  • Get the boot heat molded by someone who knows what they're doing
  • Go shred, at least five days
  • Rinse, repeat
Like I said, now you have the Salomons. If it doesn't work out you can come back to the above. :)

·
The Swiss Miss
7,312 Posts
  • Get the boot heat molded by someone who knows what they're doing
... and here the next problem starts :LOL:

OP, good luck. Hope you solved the problem already.

I got "complicated" feet, so I feel you. I hope that my journey is not over yet as I really hope that one day, I find a good comfy fitting boot with zero DIY modification needed (but assume that it'll never happen); however, the fit and pain got better with ever new boot trial and error. It's worth to keep on experimenting and trying.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks guys. Now determined to board foot pain free - now I know it's a 'thing'

Got a nice response back from K2 Customer Services I'd thought I'd share (so next season's purchase is sorted too 🙈 )

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the email. Unfortunately no stores ordered the Maysis wide in a uk 5/24.0

I have checked our European stock list to see if I could find you one but unfortunately they sold out.

There should be some available around September, which I realise is not ideal for you now!
I would be more than happy to arrange a special order for you closer to the time.

Best regards,

Jonny

·
Premium Member
5,599 Posts
That will be interesting to see. A lot of times if a brand gets no preseason orders (from retailers) or minimal orders for a size it will not actually be produced. Burton used to make their Wide models in 6 and 6.5 but stopped doing so 2 years ago. This leaves a hole of course. It is worse for women where no wide sizes are produced.

STOKED!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
@Scocherry I have small feet...mondo 24 and I like performance fit slippers. My recommendation...send back the softboots that you got and get some Atomic Backland AT boots...women's (they don't make men's in 24's). it will still take some mod/tweaking the liners and getting the shells heat moulded...but I have never been happier with the fit and performance...look at the below link.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Thanks guys. Now determined to board foot pain free - now I know it's a 'thing'

Got a nice response back from K2 Customer Services I'd thought I'd share (so next season's purchase is sorted too 🙈 )

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the email. Unfortunately no stores ordered the Maysis wide in a uk 5/24.0

I have checked our European stock list to see if I could find you one but unfortunately they sold out.

There should be some available around September, which I realise is not ideal for you now!
I would be more than happy to arrange a special order for you closer to the time.

Best regards,

Jonny

ehuummm...yea, I was seriously looking at some tridents...even went down to EVO and talked with their head boot guy...who noted they probably only make a very limited number of small sizes...usually just to cover their pro requests/needs. And that even EVO would have a difficultly getting a small sized trident. He noted, I would have to contact Ride directly and early to get a pre season special order. Upon that likelihood, I started to research the AT route and very happy with the backlands...even got a 2nd pair during off season so that I'll have replacements when the first pair wear out in a few years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
@Scocherry I have small feet...mondo 24 and I like performance fit slippers. My recommendation...send back the softboots that you got and get some Atomic Backland AT boots...women's (they don't make men's in 24's). it will still take some mod/tweaking the liners and getting the shells heat moulded...but I have never been happier with the fit and performance...look at the below link.

Holy Shit @wrathfuldeity you are totally hardcore!!! I want a pair of perfect (or damn close) fitting boots but couldn't go through all that. So glad it worked out for you and I suppose it shows that hard work and temerity pay dividends 👏👏👏.

I think heat molding and custom footbeds are about the extent of my modifications tbh

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Holy Shit @wrathfuldeity you are totally hardcore!!! I want a pair of perfect (or damn close) fitting boots but couldn't go through all that. So glad it worked out for you and I suppose it shows that hard work and temerity pay dividends 👏👏👏.

I think heat molding and custom footbeds are about the extent of my modifications tbh
Its not that spendy nor bad of a process, especially now that you have an idea of how to proceed. Besides once you get them dialed, depending on how much you ride, they will/should hold up for years instead of a couple of seasons. The key is to be patient, my 2nd pair of Atomics were demos/rentals that had only been ridden 2x and had not been heat moulded for $250 and the 1st pair were nib from the previous year...$300. And the heat moulding is a easy diy at home process. I've had both pairs pro heated but now would have no hesisation doing it my self. And the Sparks one binding and dyno DH plates should be abt $350 new. Thus these cost are very comparable to soft boots but you will have a way more responsive, lighter, better fitting, faster in/out (takes only 1-3 seconds) and gnarls set-up than any soft boot combo. Its easier than messing around with my old 32 focus boas (when I finally found them and they worked, I went through 4 pairs in a decade)...women's 7.5 that were never quite stiff enough, and would need tweaking about 15 days in because they would pack out.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts