Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

MY FEET CAN'T BE THAT SMALL - CAN THEY?

Tags
boots sizing
7K views 51 replies 10 participants last post by  wrathfuldeity 
#1 ·
Hi
Looking to upgrade to a set on Burton Step On Boots & Bindings and as my local TSA only go down to a UK size 8 was wanting to double check my sizing before ordering online. I've done a bit of reading on here, including using the most excellent snowboardbootsizer but feel i need to double check the results. I've measured my feet diligently as per the instructions and my right and left are 24.2cm and 24.0cm long respectively, and 9.5cm and 9.2cm wide. This means I'm a UK 5.5?

I currently have a couple pairs of 32s in a UK7 that feel fine (as far as I know) apart from the occasional (or sometimes frequent) foot pain, but I just thought that was a snowboarding thing? I've triple checked my measurements but they're definitely right - I normally wear a UK7 trainer and shoes, except for Vivo Barefoots, where I'm a UK6. Should I go all the way down to 5.5 or am I better at 6? And not to go even further down the rabbit hole but if my feet are a size 5.5/6 would I be better suited to a board with a narrower waist?

#3 ·
The trouble is your feet are E width, which is probably why you use UK7; the extra length makes up for your 32's being too narrow. Standard Burtons are D width, & Burton Wide are EEE. So if you're determined to get Step Ons, you'll have to be prepared for some modifications. You might get away with the standard width if you wear very thin socks & heat-mould them, but lots of people have hot spots by the outside toe cleat on Step Ons so you're probably pushing your luck.

#6 ·
Thanks again. Is the width size in mm on the chart the mid-point or the upper limit? I.e. at a 6.5US is a D = 87mm to 91mm, or 89mm to 94mm?

It appears Burton in the UK only sell boots down to 7US/6UK/250 mondo :-(. Looks like I'll have to try and find a pair to try on at least.

#8 ·
Hi Scocherry,

Your feet are Mondopoint 240 and 245 and are E width. I would suggest not going by the UK size as that is a conversion. Mondopoint is not a conversion, it is simply your foot measurement in mm. The smallest wide boots currently made are Mondopoint 250 (US 7). You will not want Burton's Wide models as those are designed for EEE width. The best fit for you will be either the Salomon Dialogue Wide or Synapse Wide in Mondopoint 250. Only Salomon designs their Wide boots for E width.

STOKED!

#9 ·
Thanks Wiredsport, and thanks for your measuring tool - I've been so wrong up until now :-(. You don't think I would be able to heat mould any of the 250 Burton Boots to fit or does the nature of the step on binding proclude this as Radialhead mentioned above?

#10 ·
Hi,
Lets confirm your measurements with some images of your barefoot measurements being taken. If correct, you are at the higher side of E width. That would not be suggested in a "normal" D width and the Burton Wide's would be too wide.

STOKED!

#14 ·
Hi,

Your are mondopoint 240 for both feet. We should get your width measurements again with your feet reversed. For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot.

#17 ·
Got it. Both feet are Mondopoint 240 or size 6 US in snowboard boots. Both feet are E width. The best fit for you will be the Salomon Wide boots in Mondopoint 250 or size 7 US).

If the assistance provided has been helpful to you, your positive reviews on either of the sites below (or both) would be greatly appreciated. STOKED!

#18 ·
Thank You WiredSport and I'll definitely leave reviews for you as you've been great.

Just a bit pissed off as I was fitted for boots (and bindings and a board) at a big store when I first started boarding (5 years ago) and they put me in a 32 Lashed UK7 - and I've always experienced foot pain to some level, at some point, every day I've boarded :-(. I'm now wondering if my Medium Burton Cartels are too big and my boards too!! Guess I'll organise a set of boots first and go from there. Thanks again.

#19 ·
Just a bit pissed off as I was fitted for boots (and bindings and a board) at a big store when I first started boarding (5 years ago) and they put me in a 32 Lashed UK7 - and I've always experienced foot pain to some level, at some point, every day I've boarded :-(.
Welcome ti the club. Almost everyone here went through this story of too big boots etc. You're in good company. Hope, your foot pain issues will get better with the new boots. Sell your current gear if now everything is too large/wide, and replace it with better sized stuff. Someone will be happy to ride your old gear, you'll be happy to have new stuff. Almost win-wind, and a lesson learned.

@Wiredsport : where can one find which width the different brands/models of boots are? I don't remember that I ever saw that D or E a.s.o. measure meantioned in a catalog. I remember Deeluxe being quite wide, and they come in small men's sizes. Aren't they wide enough for OP?

#20 ·
Thank You WiredSport and I'll definitely leave reviews for you as you've been great.

Just a bit pissed off as I was fitted for boots (and bindings and a board) at a big store when I first started boarding (5 years ago) and they put me in a 32 Lashed UK7 - and I've always experienced foot pain to some level, at some point, every day I've boarded :-(. I'm now wondering if my Medium Burton Cartels are too big and my boards too!! Guess I'll organise a set of boots first and go from there. Thanks again.
Hi,
I wish that I could say that this was unusual but shops get this wrong all the time. You are a clear size Small in Cartels (6-8 US). 24 cm feet are a challenging fit for men's boards. There are some great threads here about boards for small footed riders. STOKED!

#29 ·
Cider vinegar is real medicine for fungal infections. I battled it for years, nearly got to the point of having nailbeds removed to stop it. Even the nuclear option of prescription drugs for six months didn't work (Sporanox). Tried apple cider vinegar as a last resort - all clear within three months.

#31 ·
Interesting! Will have to try that if I'm unlucky enough to contract onychomycosis.

K2 makes a maysis wide in 6 and 6.5. It's just really hard to find because they make very few. You may have to watch their website at the start of the season and order it directly.
Are you sure? According to their website it's only produced down to a US7 = Mondo 250.

#33 ·
OP, have you looked at Deeluxe boots? Most of their all mountain boots start as small as size 22cm.
(Don't know about their all mountain models, how wide they are... I only ever owned a XV from them and my 24.5/9.5cm feet were happy with the width of that XV).

#39 ·
OP, have you looked at Deeluxe boots? Most of their all mountain boots start as small as size 22cm.
(Don't know about their all mountain models, how wide they are... I only ever owned a XV from them and my 24.5/9.5cm feet were happy with the width of that XV).
I wasn't really aware of them to be honest but their website is pretty cool :cool: Did you go for a 245 in the XV?

#43 ·
Finally got my Salomon Hi-Fi Wides in a 25.0 (the smallest the do). They do look like £380 boots (with a triple lacing system etc) so super chuffed to get them for just over £200.

But I've worn round the house for an hour tonight and they feel comfy - I was expecting them to be super tight and uncomfortable. Well at at least until after a few days of riding. I did get some ache on the outside arch of my left foot after half an hour but it appeared to go about 15 minutes later. To be honest, walking in them, they don't feel hugely different to my 32s Lashed @ 26.0 :-(.

I've still got two weeks of riding booked in this season so tempted just to keep them and see how they are on the slopes. My 32s are pretty done although I did just put new Elite liners in them. I can't see the elusive K2 Maysis Wide anywhere in a 24.0/24.5 and don't really want to ask someone to order in a boot that might not fit. The Deeluxe in a 24.5 (at just their standard width) have been suggested here, and they do look like sweet boots, but I'd be taking a total punt in the dark on both sizing and model (or rather limited to what I can find).

So the question is am I overthinking it all and should at least try and board in the Salomons (I kinda trust Wiredsport's judgement) or do I keep ordering and trying on different boots/sizes until I'm sure?

#44 ·
Finally got my Salomon Hi-Fi Wides in a 25.0 (the smallest the do). They do look like £380 boots (with a triple lacing system etc) so super chuffed to get them for just over £200.

But I've worn round the house for an hour tonight and they feel comfy - I was expecting them to be super tight and uncomfortable. Well at at least until after a few days of riding. I did get some ache on the outside arch of my left foot after half an hour but it appeared to go about 15 minutes later. To be honest, walking in them, they don't feel hugely different to my 32s Lashed @ 26.0 :-(.

I've still got two weeks of riding booked in this season so tempted just to keep them and see how they are on the slopes. My 32s are pretty done although I did just put new Elite liners in them. I can't see the elusive K2 Maysis Wide anywhere in a 24.0/24.5 and don't really want to ask someone to order in a boot that might not fit. The Deeluxe in a 24.5 (at just their standard width) have been suggested here, and they do look like sweet boots, but I'd be taking a total punt in the dark on both sizing and model (or rather limited to what I can find).

So the question is am I overthinking it all and should at least try and board in the Salomons (I kinda trust Wiredsport's judgement) or do I keep ordering and trying on different boots/sizes until I'm sure?
Chuffed = Stoked? I'm going to try using that. Sounds like you could be mad, but you're stoked.

Try putting the new Elite liners for the larger boots in the new smaller ones if you feel like you need to suck up more volume. You can heat form in there to move the EVA from high spots to low spots and really fill in those shells.

#47 ·
Thanks guys. Now determined to board foot pain free - now I know it's a 'thing'

Got a nice response back from K2 Customer Services I'd thought I'd share (so next season's purchase is sorted too ? )

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the email. Unfortunately no stores ordered the Maysis wide in a uk 5/24.0

I have checked our European stock list to see if I could find you one but unfortunately they sold out.

There should be some available around September, which I realise is not ideal for you now!
I would be more than happy to arrange a special order for you closer to the time.

Best regards,

Jonny

#50 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Now determined to board foot pain free - now I know it's a 'thing'

Got a nice response back from K2 Customer Services I'd thought I'd share (so next season's purchase is sorted too ? )

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the email. Unfortunately no stores ordered the Maysis wide in a uk 5/24.0

I have checked our European stock list to see if I could find you one but unfortunately they sold out.

There should be some available around September, which I realise is not ideal for you now!
I would be more than happy to arrange a special order for you closer to the time.

Best regards,

Jonny

ehuummm...yea, I was seriously looking at some tridents...even went down to EVO and talked with their head boot guy...who noted they probably only make a very limited number of small sizes...usually just to cover their pro requests/needs. And that even EVO would have a difficultly getting a small sized trident. He noted, I would have to contact Ride directly and early to get a pre season special order. Upon that likelihood, I started to research the AT route and very happy with the backlands...even got a 2nd pair during off season so that I'll have replacements when the first pair wear out in a few years.

#48 ·
That will be interesting to see. A lot of times if a brand gets no preseason orders (from retailers) or minimal orders for a size it will not actually be produced. Burton used to make their Wide models in 6 and 6.5 but stopped doing so 2 years ago. This leaves a hole of course. It is worse for women where no wide sizes are produced.

STOKED!

#49 ·
@Scocherry I have small feet...mondo 24 and I like performance fit slippers. My recommendation...send back the softboots that you got and get some Atomic Backland AT boots...women's (they don't make men's in 24's). it will still take some mod/tweaking the liners and getting the shells heat moulded...but I have never been happier with the fit and performance...look at the below link.

#51 ·
Holy Shit @wrathfuldeity you are totally hardcore!!! I want a pair of perfect (or damn close) fitting boots but couldn't go through all that. So glad it worked out for you and I suppose it shows that hard work and temerity pay dividends ???.

I think heat molding and custom footbeds are about the extent of my modifications tbh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.