Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so apparently Nakiska is opening this coming weekend, November 2nd. Runs open will be Upper Mountain, Upper and Middle Mapmaker, Mid-Mountain Crossing, Big Bear and Morley Flats. Lift price $42.95.

I just moved to Calgary at the start of this summer so I was only able to make it out to Sunshine Village for some spring boarding in late April / early May. I've never been to Nakiska. Is it even worth going this early in the season?

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Welcome to the town of steak and snowboarding. At least that's the way I see it!

I'll be at Nakiska on Sunday. Was there opening day last year and it was actually half decent. But I have a season pass so I wouldn't be pissed if only a couple runs were open...

It's typical early season riding.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's gonna be the best resort riding we've had in the last 5 months.

Epic ? No. But it's going to be pretty sweet to be back on a board.

Also, keep an eye on the weather. Looks like snow this weekend.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Probablly. It's Alberta. There's always rocks poking up.

I wouldn't bring out a brand new board on day 1, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
That said, Nakiska is probably the least rocky of all the "mountain" hills in Alberta. I don't think I've ever done any real base damage there. Louise on the other hand is like riding across a cheese grater!

I'm bringing the best board I've got for cutting through manmade snow.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What is opening weekend like at Nakiska? If it's anything like LL's Wiwaxy 500 I'm not interested...

I know they have two lifts open and multiple runs, but how are crowds and lift lines?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Bro, even if all of Nakiska was open, it isn't even as good as wiwaxy.

The only good run, is the one way on the left (skiers right) the one that's closed as a wildlife corridor.

Nakiska was one of the first resorts all drawn up on a computer then cut out of the forest.

It's like 95% groomed, and a skiers wet dream.

Snowboarding there is lame, and if anywhere else were to open this weekend, we'd be headed there.

It's close to the city, and they may have a decent park, but Fortress was the shit.

Nakiska's just shitty.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I can tell you what is not shitty......the 7 or 8 snowboarding forum members who will be sitting in Nakiska's pub after completing a few early season turns. Be there or be square.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bro, even if all of Nakiska was open, it isn't even as good as wiwaxy.

The only good run, is the one way on the left (skiers right) the one that's closed as a wildlife corridor.

Nakiska was one of the first resorts all drawn up on a computer then cut out of the forest.

It's like 95% groomed, and a skiers wet dream.

Snowboarding there is lame, and if anywhere else were to open this weekend, we'd be headed there.

It's close to the city, and they may have a decent park, but Fortress was the shit.

Nakiska's just shitty.
Been to Nakiska, just asking about opening weekend crowds. Nakiska certainly isn't my favourite but I take some laps there every so often and have fun with it. And I'll take more than one run with less people over Wiwaxy 500 any day.

This should test your feeling towards Nakiska: Norquay is opening up the Cascade chair this weekend for $25 bucks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sweet,

Opening weekend at Norquay last year was dope.

1/2 the price of Norquay, and all that Banff has to offer afterwards ?

Winrar

1 - 12 of 12 Posts