Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1569 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing some reports of frost in VT. Can it start snowing already? I wanna splitboard up some of the local resort trails and get preseason runs in.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
One can hope. But realistically we're a good 4-6 weeks away from anything that falls lasting more than a day or so.

Certainly hope most of the long range projections are wrong and winter comes sooner rather than later like they all seem to be saying.

·
Registered
491 Posts
There was frost 3 days ago...(see pictures). Sunday River should have a few runs open by halloween, or at least they always try to. Last year they had runs going at the end of the first week in November.

Sugarloaf, jay peak, killington with the frost -

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
One can hope. But realistically we're a good 4-6 weeks away from anything that falls lasting more than a day or so.

Certainly hope most of the long range projections are wrong and winter comes sooner rather than later like they all seem to be saying.
Joel at OpenSnow has things looking good for us this winter, now as to the accuracy of weather predictions...

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Joel at OpenSnow has things looking good for us this winter, now as to the accuracy of weather predictions...
I'm a bit worried for anything pre mid january. At least for anything south of mid Vermont. Even last year started off horrendous with a foot of snow for Dec 1st followed by 4 inches of warm rain. XMas week was a skating rink.

Southern storm tracks are simply no bueno with even the slightest temp increase so until old man winter takes hold...

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm a bit worried for anything pre mid january. At least for anything south of mid Vermont. Even last year started off horrendous with a foot of snow for Dec 1st followed by 4 inches of warm rain. XMas week was a skating rink.

Southern storm tracks are simply no bueno with even the slightest temp increase so until old man winter takes hold...
Tell me about it, it's 71 here today

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sunday River looks 10 degrees above average this entire week- they don't know if they're opening this weekend (until later today). I know for sure they will be blowing snow every day starting next thursday, check out the 2 week forecast.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm done riding Creek. Going to buy 2 triple plays to Windham for my weekday riding (sucks they're no longer on liftopia) and I'll be doing my usual weekend bus trips to VT.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm done riding Creek. Going to buy 2 triple plays to Windham for my weekday riding (sucks they're no longer on liftopia) and I'll be doing my usual weekend bus trips to VT.
I called up Creek to see if they had the same deal they did last year, where existing Triple Play holders would get a discounted renewal rate...well they don't.

Creek is really fun if you can ride there on a weekday...but I really can only ride on the weekends. I don't think I will get a Triple Play this season and just focus on a couple trips up North.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I used to only do Creek on weekdays. I don't ride park so I stayed at Vernon and Granite. Taking my board off 15 times to ride that gondola for a short ride down is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I used to only do Creek on weekdays. I don't ride park so I stayed at Vernon and Granite. Taking my board off 15 times to ride that gondola for a short ride down is a pain in the ass.
Haha, that's why i started riding park. and yeah, creek on weekends just plain sucks..

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
This is crazy, but it doesn't look like even Killington has a chance of reopening before Thanksgiving. What a horrid start of the season.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah, this weather is terrible. I was hoping to get one day in over Thanksgiving before finals, but not looking good. Hopefully things just turn around and it gets cold real soon.. And seeing what's going on out west is not helping at all...

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
They've been able to make here and there and squirrel it away, but sadly it's looking like Black Friday is the probable reopen date. The daytime temps drop a bit, but the cold nights aren't coming. Only like 10-15 degree difference in high-low temp for the next 7-10 days

1 - 20 of 1569 Posts