Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

NE Stoke Thread

150K views 3K replies 129 participants last post by  ridethecliche 
Thirty two inches at Jay. Peak lifts closed for wind Saturday. Sunday was absolutely glorious.

Still stoked.
I'm so bummed that I missed Sunday at jay.

I went out for a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon and it was a blast. Unfortunately I ended my day trying to make out with a tree on Jet after the mogul section. Ended up chipping a tooth and breaking my orbit and cheekbone...

So yeah. Didn't make it out. Was totally crushed to have planned out this trip and missing the beautiful bluebird day. Sigh.

Hopefully there will be another one or two once I heal up and I'm allowed back out. Glad you had an amazing time! It was my first time out there and it was breathtaking.

Loon was nice this past weekend. Got a little snow on Sunday morning too.

This is my second season riding and it took a minute of sliding on my ass while reconsidering all my life choices for me to get the hang of things again.

Booked a week long excursion at jay peak for Mid December. Hoping I'm back to where I was at the end of last season by then. Planning on taking a few lessons out there with my gf too. Should be a great time.

They do make some snow up there, but the draw to jay is the glades (which I'm not good enough for anyway). They can't really cover the glades with fake snow haha.

Would sugarloaf be a better option? I have till sunday night to cancel the airbnb and only lose the fees. I've been refreshing the forecast like a maniac and it looks like they're expecting some rain over the weekend, but there's a forecast for some snow next week.

It's honestly so unpredictable up there sometimes. They'll just randomly get like a foot or two in a monster storm. Kinda crossing my fingers for that tbh.

With residency, I had to book my vacation weeks in like April/May. GF and I have a season pass at Jay and then the New England Pass for Loon, Sugarloaf, and Sunday River. Loon's kinda home base for us so we were hoping to go to Jay. Sugarloaf isn't a bad option either but it's all condition dependant. I know they're picking up some snow from this storm. I've never been there and she's been there a few times.

@ridethecliche my wife is a teacher and her spring break isn’t until the first week of April. So we’re looking at Banff since they have reliably good snow coverage at that point.
Sorry, I didn't phrase that well. I had to pick which weeks to take off for the entire year in April/May before I started the academic year. So I have one week in the middle of Dec and one week towards the end of March picked out. Jay should be pretty good at the end of March. So should sugarloaf tbh.

I think we're just going to make an executive decision this weekend so we only lose the airbnb fee. There are still a few spots near Sugarbush so that's good.

The jay cloud is magical and unpredictable. If they haven't opened up any blue terrain by the end of the weekend, then I really can't see how they'd have things set up in another week barring a barrage of snow.

Meanwhile.... Wachusett has had 2 feet of snow in the last 3 days.

What dah fakkkk.

Funny, innit? We got The Boy the SkiNH pass (one free ticket to about 15 mountains) so we're hitting Pat's Peak Sunday. I've never driver south to ride.
And just like that... Jay picks up 10 inches lol.

And Loon's getting some snow today/the weekend. Should be nice since I'll be there all day sat and on sun AM.

Getting kinda stoked...
Will be testing out my new board and trying to get a feel for the Yup again as well.

After trying to sell this slightly blemished omni for months, I just decided to keep it.

Thing fucking rips. I love it. I hope I can progress a bit more on it and come back to the yup. I felt like I had an instant connection to the omni and was riding way more aggressively than I've ever ridden. I was kinda disappointed by the yup when I first got it, but I chalked that up to my own inexperience. When I took the yup out on saturday, I was definitely laying into it a bit more. Had a good time on it tbh.

Looking forward to jayyyyyy.

The board on the left is an OG omni from 2010 i picked up on craigslist when I got tired of paying for rental boards. Those are forum faction bindings. They probably weigh 5 lbs each.

I always wanted to try the omni. I almost pulled the trigger on 1 this summer. I heard its light as fuck and snappy
I read everyone rave about the yup but no one has even really reviewed the new omni.

I freaking love mine. I've been too scared to attempt jumping with rollers on the hill... Like I'll set it up and back out. I was going for all of them on the omni. I dunno... It just like clicked for me. Im not sure if it has to do with the fact that it's a hair longer than what I would otherwise have gotten (158 vs rec of 156). But I'm 100% stoked on it. Their black friday sale was awesome so you should have swooped one then. Maybe they'll do it again closer to Christmas /new years. I don't like the new graphic as much as mine. I think there were a few I saw on ebay as well.

I actually need to search for tips on setting up a new board because I just want to make sure I'm doing things right.

I scared myself on the yup a few times because I really got into the sidecut without totally meaning to and fell off because I got spooked. It was an awesome feeling once I started to gather some speed and push for it.

Welp... Still going to jay for a week and we'll be getting there tomorrow night. Crossing our fingers that the rain isn't too bad and the snow comes after the warmth.

The temps look to be pretty gnarly, but as long as we get some snow to ride on in the mornings I'll be happy. Hoping they can open up some more terrain this weekend as well. They should be working on it since it's a week before the holidays. I think they're running some lifts for the first time tomorrow.

With upper mountain chairs closed all day today, we decided to take some time and rest up today.

Yesterday was incredible up here. GF and I took a lesson together in the afternoon and they had us out doing moguls. My first time out actually trying to do moguls and it was a blast. Helluva workout though. Signal yup was definitely the right tool for the job.

Having become a better rider, I'm starting to get enamored with the yup.