Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking into a new board for the coming sason this winter since I feel my Flow Merc 162 is starting to drag me down when I'm reaching 70 km/h.

After searching the web my interested was pretty much drawn to both the Never Summer Heritage as the Never Summer Legacy. Both boards seem suitable for a great all-mountain ride and are quite wide for larger boots! Based on experience I think the 163 or 166 are the better choice but I've seen alot of people with similar stats get advised a shorter board.

The Heritage seems the better choice since I'm not a real parkrat hanging around in the park all day but somehow I'm also drawn to the 'playfullness' and of the Legacy.

My rider stats:

Skill level: Intermediate (10 years one to two weeks a year)
Style: Freeride / Freestyle / All-Mountain
Length: 198 cm (6.6ft ish)
Weight: 80 kg (175 lbs)
Boot size: EU 45 (US 12?)
Stance: Duck

The downside of the whole story is that I live in Europe where it's almost impossible to get your hands on NS boards (or you have to buy them for double the US price) and afaik there is only one possibility for testing (Southern France somewhere in January) so I have to base my decision mainly on reviews and web stats.

Due to the availability issue I've also been looking into the Arbor boards, especially the Element RX. Can anyone tell how this one will hold op against the NS boards?

A long post and lots of questions but any help is appreciated :laugh:

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I live in the same town as NS and getting on them to demo isn't particularly easier (without paying for a premium rental package), and they are expensive here too. :dunno:

Wish I would have been able to demo the Evo, I was so sure I would like it but I'm just to big for that style of riding (that it demands) whereas the Proto is just perfect for me. That being said buying NS blind isn't too bad of an investment as they usually flip better than most other brands.

Id suggest 160 Heritage or 159 Heritage X for you. The Legacy/SL imo is just a lower tier deck that hits all the same major points for someone that doesn't care about jibbing. IMO the person looking at the Legacy/SL will always be better suited with a Proto (like myself) or a Heritage. Its like dropping coin on a cadillac and then only getting the rebadged Malibu. You are spending the money already spend 10% more and get the Carbonium, upgraded base material, extra carbon x's and v's, and more bombing goodness in the Heritage and more versatility from the Proto.

I know SL/Legacy owners don't like to read this, it has no bearing on the fun of your board (relax), but it is my educated opinion. I have buyers remorse from several decks but the Proto (or any other super fun deck) makes the ups and downs of the effort all worthwhile.

166 is funny large but there are also alot of big boys on this forum who like their massive decks. I'm your size on 154 all-mountain.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,450 Posts
Don't know where you live... Germany? If you really want to demo (and spend some days riding ahead of the season): there'll be a huge demo station in Saas Fee, Switzerland from 5th October till 1st December Kontakt - Snowboardbox.ch // Box & Future Try Veranstaltungen in Sölden, Saas-Fee, Davos & Les Croisettes. Saas Fee tourism offers special packages including demo passes and lodging for this time (this glacier resort is open all year round)

Brands that definitely will be around:

The organizer of this event just told me, that some additional brands might show up: NS with Volkl, Jones with Nidecker, Capita with Rome. The importers will decide within the next weeks.

BTW: no prob to get NS here. Although you might not want to pay Swiss prices ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I live in the same town as NS and getting on them to demo isn't particularly easier (without paying for a premium rental package), and they are expensive here too. :dunno:

Wish I would have been able to demo the Evo, I was so sure I would like it but I'm just to big for that style of riding (that it demands) whereas the Proto is just perfect for me. That being said buying NS blind isn't too bad of an investment as they usually flip better than most other brands.

Id suggest 160 Heritage or 159 Heritage X for you. The Legacy/SL imo is just a lower tier deck that hits all the same major points for someone that doesn't care about jibbing. IMO the person looking at the Legacy/SL will always be better suited with a Proto (like myself) or a Heritage. Its like dropping coin on a cadillac and then only getting the rebadged Malibu. You are spending the money already spend 10% more and get the Carbonium, upgraded base material, extra carbon x's and v's, and more bombing goodness in the Heritage and more versatility from the Proto.

I know SL/Legacy owners don't like to read this, it has no bearing on the fun of your board (relax), but it is my educated opinion. I have buyers remorse from several decks but the Proto (or any other super fun deck) makes the ups and downs of the effort all worthwhile.

166 is funny large but there are also alot of big boys on this forum who like their massive decks. I'm your size on 154 all-mountain.
I like this post!

A lot of sense spoken here.

Pay the extra few $'s and get an upgraded deck. Will look into the Proto CT, original set on a SL, as I have heard good reviews with this board for newbies.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
tyvm I'll add that the Proto CT was probably a bit more unforgiving than an SL but it sounds like they have changed that with the HD (by lifting the contact points).

I'll maintain as other have that the Proto is not really a beginners deck, but it is also my opinion that anything you can attach bindings to is a beginners deck, as noobs don't have the muscle memory to appreciate the substantive differences between varying decks.

For example many of us learned on camber and it will scorpion your ass like no reverse deck ever will but we can all switch between edges well as a result of learning this way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh well, there are no Proto CT 157 boards in stock anywhere in the UK :(

Finding them on Canadian sites is difficult to (I could get it shipped to a mate), however the CTX version is everywhere.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,450 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
My vote goes to haritage. I got Legacy, and being same as tall as you, but heavier, I cannot say it's really playful. With your weight you can easily got with Heritage X. I'd say 163 or 166. Longer boards is more fun, when you can handle it. Hope you got some powder nearby. :)

BTW, I live in Kazachstan, and I can easily get any board I want for extra $50 over US price. ;) I don't know why don't you do that? That will save you tons of a money.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I can vouch for what SK said, I bought a SL last year, and I'm already planning on selling it to get a Proto. Not that there's anything wrong with the SL, I would rather just have the Proto as I think it's more versatile and resilient.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,450 Posts
BTW, I live in Kazachstan, and I can easily get any board I want for extra $50 over US price. ;) I don't know why don't you do that? That will save you tons of a money.
No heavy import taxes and fees? Nice country :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love to hear more about that too! Buying the Heritage through the official reseller in the Netherlands sells for €700 regardless of the length (for you Americans that's roughly a woopin' $900 :p)

The import duties on snowboards isn't that much in the EU (3,7%) but it's the Dutch VAT (21%) and the transportcosts (averaging at $130) that make it nearly impossible to get a decent priced NS board from the US.

A board of $500 in the US would still end up costing me around €700 before it's at my front door. This is especially true for the Heritage (X) which is more difficult to find in Europe than the Legacy :sad:

A drive to Switzerland would be cheaper. Really curious about the prices there now :laugh:

·
The Swiss Miss
7,450 Posts

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts
Interesting read,.. Just curious,

...no awesome European Snowboards being manufactured? Aren't they any less expensive? Sounds like you pay a premium to ride where you do! :dunno:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'm sure the Heritage and Proto are great. For that price, i would not buy them. There are other boards that will compare to them from companies that are present in your corner of the world. Something from Flow or Nitro as well as a bunch of other brands. Don't get stuck on buying something just for the name.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,450 Posts
What.if a "friend " in the US ships you one? You still pay duties on it?
If a "friend" sends you e.g. DVDs and the sender is a private address and the package is small/unconscious and declared as "gift" or that the content is of little value, this works. Hard to do with a snowboard :)

Interesting read,.. Just curious,

...no awesome European Snowboards being manufactured? Aren't they any less expensive? Sounds like you pay a premium to ride where you do! :dunno:
Some European boards I've recently looked at from biger brands: Rossignol XV 750$, Nidecker Megalight 900$; small brands: Virus Avalanche FP 980$, Rad Air Tanker 1100$; splitboard: Völkl Cashew 1300$ (vs. Venture Zephyr 1120$)
Yes, prices are high, but so are the salaries (at least in CH).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Like to share?
Put a freight forwarder in google. Tons of a different companies.

Taxes are applicable if(any of this):
-price is 1000Euro and more(1300USD+).
-package weight is 32 kilos(or 25, they might be changed recently).
-I got 3 and more same items in invoice.

Using any freight forwarders service I get a price around $100-110 for two boards and $80 for one. Grab a board for yourself and your friend, split the S&H quote and get it. I got around 5 packages with two boards in each in two years for me and my friends.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Put a freight forwarder in google. Tons of a different companies.

Taxes are applicable if(any of this):
-price is 1000Euro and more(1300USD+).
-package weight is 32 kilos(or 25, they might be changed recently).
-I got 3 and more same items in invoice.

Using any freight forwarders service I get a price around $100-110 for two boards and $80 for one. Grab a board for yourself and your friend, split the S&H quote and get it. I got around 5 packages with two boards in each in two years for me and my friends.
Any freight forwarders you can recommend? I happen to work at an American freight forwarder myself in Amsterdam but they're quite tacky about their own people wanting collegues to fix a shipment for them (anti-corruption policy n' all) :giggle:

Absolute-Snow.co.uk | UK Snowboard Ski Shop Burton Flow Bindings Boots has an Heritage of 162 cm voor €400 which is pretty affordable imo. But well, it's not a Heritage X and since I'll be buying size XL Flow bindings for the board I might get into trouble with my boot size. I hope I can get a 12/13 Heritage somewhere since the top sheet of the 13/14 model is kinda... yuk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts