Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, used to be a pretty active member on these forums. Been a little busy lately and been bummed out about last season so iv'e kinda been out of the loop when it comes to 2013 gear.:confused:

Stats

weight: 170

height: 5 ft 11

shoe: 11

Advanced rider

I live in Ohio unfortunately so i need a board with good edgehold. In ohio i am ( attempting) to get good at kickers and am hitting thing anywhere from 10 to 30 ft. Trying to get better at them. I hit a jib once in a while but not my biggest concern. I go out west 1-3 times a year and am all about powder when im there. I like tree runs so i need a board that responsive. I also like charging through POW and hitting small clifs.

My question is if there is any board that could accommodate these things. I was looking at the 2012 arbor blacklist which i had my eye on last year and i like it. Also the Never Summer SL or proto. Any suggestions?

Right now i ride a 2011 Banana Magic and i loved it except for in the park. I also don't have 700 bucks lol.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The proto CT has blunted tips, which kind of makes it slightly harder to keep your nose up above the powder than other boards... I'm unsure whether or not the SL has this feature, but I would guess not. I have a proto, and it's awesome at kickers and does well with small cliffs (can't really tell you much about anything big). Edge hold is better than I expected, but it's not like it's gonna dig through continuous ice (well no board really does). I think it's more of a decision between more response/powder use VS. greater kicker/park/jib use. Regardless, both are amazing boards from everyone who I've spoken to, and my own opinion as well. Sorry I can't tell you much about Arbor boards, don't really know too many people who have them by me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Big Nick. I guess i have to decide what i really want. Anyways not looking at those boards only because i don't really know of any 2013 boards yet. Any suggestions are awesome

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
From Arbor check the Coda. And as far as the Proto not floating as well because of blunted tips, its rocker. Stop being a baby.

Also look into maybe a Flow Era or maybe the Shifty. Flows sidecuts on their rockers grips suprisingly well and the Shifty is camber. Mellowed camber, but still camber. Nitro being more Euro than US usually has gnarly sidecuts that grip well so take a look at the Rook and maybe the Team Gullwing. If you're down for good old fashioned builds look at the Signal OG Flat for 2013. No special edgetech, just a deep sidecut. Its my everyday board at Bear. But it will grip a pipe wall if you know how to work it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really like the arbor coda. nivek, How would that do in the park. Mostly jumps but a few jibs. WOuld the westmark do okay in powder? I am growing closer and closer to the proto every day. The flow boards look cool and i remember last year a lot of members were loving them and there price. I will also look into those nitro boards.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Don't really see what the boards that the OP and others have mentioned here would offer that the Banana Magic does not already...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have grown out of the magic. trust me if i could i would get another one. Any board advice for something that rides similar to the magic but can handle jumps and a few jibs?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I was under the impression that the Magic had pretty good pop? Is that off base? I get that it won't jib...it's a pretty stiff flex, but pop wise, I had read it's one of Lib's poppier decks. Was this not the case?

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
I was under the impression that the Magic had pretty good pop? Is that off base? I get that it won't jib...it's a pretty stiff flex, but pop wise, I had read it's one of Lib's poppier decks. Was this not the case?
In my experience a poppy Lib is still not that poppy... also they get mushy? Yes, I believe that's what I think.

Coda is basically aimed at being a park board for people whos whole resort is their park. So yeah, theres that. The Westmark is still anti-camber so yeah it will do fine in powder. I pretty much only ride twins all the time which includes powder. If a board has rocker and isn't too small for you, you should be able to ride powder with it, or you're suckz and you should quit.

The Proto is good, I've just never been a fan of Neversummer to be honest. Also they don't retain their initial life very long. I can ride a Nitro or a Signal all year and it stays pretty much the same after broken in. Arbor is likely the same and I'm sure BA can attest to that, I've just never owned one myself. Neversummers break in like anything else, then like 50-60 days on mountain later they get "pffy". They'll stay rideable longer than a lot of other stuff, but who really needs a board to last 4 years? You'll likely get a new board before then anyhow.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks Nivek. Didn't realize that. My Rice has held up strong this year. I demoed last years model, and I know what you mean about getting mushy. But this years model after about 40 days seems pretty stiff and springy still. Not sure what the difference is.

As far as the Coda, I agree. Awesome board. Was trying to talk the beginner on the other thread out of the Proto and into the Coda, but he even admitted he had his eye on the Proto before the suggestions, so there is no breaking him at that point. I like true twins as well, but as a beginner, do yourself a favor and get a directional twin like a Coda. You aren't going to ride switch anywhere near the amount you think you will the first year. Everyone thinks that they will in theory, but when you start naturally progressing regular first, you push that about as far as you can get before really diving into switch.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The coda is growing on me. I am certainly not a beginner. Is the coda directional? I am still worried about how it would hold up on jumps and jibs. Ive narrowed it down to the coda, proto, westmark, and the blacklist. any suggestions on size?

thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good but not great pop and awesome edge hole. Swing weight was also very good. As far as jibs its sucked lol but what can you expect. Good jump board for me. Board also performs great in pow if your interested.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yeah, I've been interested for a while. Was thinking about picking one up at the end of the year when they are 40% off in 2013. Just heard this is a blast to ride.

The Coda had pretty good pop for me, great swing weight. The setback is so slight it's barely noticable. It handles the afternoon chop very well, and is a great all mountain option, capable of the park. The board itself is actually a med-soft flex, and I found it completely pressable. But if you are looking to jib more - maybe go all out and get a Westmark or Blacklist. Both are supposed to be awesome boards, and much more park friendly. Plus, reading the reviews from people on here, they don't wash out on bigger kickers which is good.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The coda is growing on me. I am certainly not a beginner. Is the coda directional? I am still worried about how it would hold up on jumps and jibs. Ive narrowed it down to the coda, proto, westmark, and the blacklist. any suggestions on size?

thanks
Directional twin.

I think you could plop me on any of those boards and I'd be happy. Ridden the Coda. Now have a westmark (and still the coda). Arbors are fun.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nolan fan- honestly if you find it at a great price i highly recommend you getting it. I went on a trip to Jackson hole, wyoming last year. Each day there were 10 + inches of fresh pow and the board just charged everything i threw at it. Steeps, tight shoots, trees, anything really. Good jump board as well. Will be my favorite board for a long time just got a little small for me.

Jdang- thanks for the response. I am leaning towards the coda now. Is there any major changes from the 2012- 2013 models? How is the coda for charging steeps and trees, also how does it handle in deep snow? sorry for all the questions lol.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I don't think there are any changes except the graphics. Arbor has kept the same design mostly for a lot of the boards, except maybe changing the base (westmark and blacklist back to extruded for 2013).

I was riding a 153 which is on the higher end of my size range. Steep, how steep? The Coda is the first board that I confidently charged steeps, ever. yeah I was a big pussy before. I'm not saying it was the board, it was more me progressing. It was at squaw valley and alpine meadows. I didn't go down Kt-22 and I don't think I'll ever charge KT-22. ever. :D

But define steep? There are only two or three blacks at Squaw everything else is blue lol. Steep blues though compared to blues say at Breckenridge which were kinda flat to me (the bottom parts, above tree line wasn't really open yet ... bummer). But it handled those fine. I can't compare it because I've never really charged until I had the Coda in Tahoe. I was riding down Solitude and Silverado on the backside. And I'm still a pussy so my tree runs are limited to hey that's not too bad and I'll shoot through a tree or two.

Last year was the wrong year to ask about deep snow, unless someone travelled to the PNW. I didn't hit any powder with it because well, there wasn't any. There was a patch of maybe 12" on the baby run in squaw. Weird because it was literally right next to the groomed run but nobody, and I mean nobody, went to it after two days. It wasnt hidden, it was right there. Anyway directional rocker I'm sure it'll be ok in powder, don't know about any deep powder though.

Board has a lot of pop though. I was popping off anything I could find. Uneven snow, side hits, little children whatever. I won't say it's the best board out there but I have yet to see a bad review of it. I'd ignore any reviews from Boardinsiders but they at least have videos of it in action i'd check it out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the detailed response. I am certainly not hardcore lol. Just in bounds runs. Rode some pretty challenging things at JHOLE and am going again next year so i want the board to handle it. Still can't decide which one i like more the coda, westmark, blacklist, or prote. Even looking at the SL from NS. I do enjoy just popping of stuff like clifs and natural features so the coda looks awesome. It just needs to be able to handle the ohio ice and park. Might try to demo some of these boards early season.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Oooh Jackson Hole. I heard shit is hardcore there. Kill you type shit. I'll defer to the more experienced for that.

Arbors are cool, but the one bad thing you hear about them, is durability. Of course this is anecdotal. Bash any snowboard including the indestructible Never Summers and they will break.

But my Coda got beat up faster than say the Never Summers. Doesn't take from the ride though. She just ain't as pretty after you're done with her.

If you're 90% Ohio and 10% a place like Jackson Hole, sure I think it'll handle it. Has griptech which helps in ice too. But so does Vario and a bunch of other tech now that all sound the same as griptech (rome quick rip etc.)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm interesting. Last question do you have any idea how the SL does in the park compared to the proto.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts