Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Demo'd a lot of boards today and bindings. My favorite seemed to be the Cobra and The Greats from Yes.

Looking for more play than my current Arbor Blacklist in terms of presses/butter, especially regarding the weight of the board, and still have the ability to pop jumps in the park for 3's and do the same for backcountry jumps in the pow.

Which would you pick?

Edit:: Might as well add the Proto to this list as it was pretty great, it felt a lot like my Blacklist just a bit more soft and stable (I guess softer + RC tech?)

·
With extra cheese.
1,750 Posts
Neither. I have a Yes The Greats 154 and it's way burlier than my Westmark 150. It's an awesome board for charging bigger features in the park; I'd call it one of the better slopestyle boards for advanced/expert freestyle guys. I have yet to even approach the limits of what it can do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neither. I have a Yes The Greats 154 and it's way burlier than my Westmark 150. It's an awesome board for charging bigger features in the park; I'd call it one of the better slopestyle boards for advanced/expert freestyle guys. I have yet to even approach the limits of what it can do.
What would you suggest then?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a Legends 158 with a downsized 11 boot and lgxl Cartels: Real nice 'all mt freestyle' ride. I've also found it to be really fast for its length. I really like the board, seems to be put together well too:).

·
With extra cheese.
1,750 Posts
You want a board more playful than the Blacklist but also capable of charging back country features? That's going to be hard to find as the Blacklist/Westmark is one of the most versatile boards out there. I found my Westmark to be more than playful enough to do most things.

The Evo might work but only if you are a lighter rider.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Demo'd a lot of boards today and bindings. My favorite seemed to be the Cobra and The Greats from Yes.

Looking for more play than my current Arbor Blacklist in terms of presses/butter, especially regarding the weight of the board, and still have the ability to pop jumps in the park for 3's and do the same for backcountry jumps in the pow.

Which would you pick?

Edit:: Might as well add the Proto to this list as it was pretty great, it felt a lot like my Blacklist just a bit more soft and stable (I guess softer + RC tech?)
This post is a little confusing. You have the blacklist, and rode both the cobra and the greats so you know what each can do. I had a westmark and now a cobra. and the cobra is is not more pressable/butterable than the westmark by a long shot. You can do it, but that's not what its for. You need to decide. Press/Butter, or big features?

I did find the Westmark to be about the same but a little more stiff than the Evo for presses. But the Evo isn't charging hard.

Perhaps a Coda? But you already have an Arbor so perhaps you are looking for a change.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think I need a wide board because on my Blacklist I already have some minor issues with boot length (size 12). I don't think there's a more buttery board on the Arbor lineup.

I like the Blacklist but I found the dampening to be pretty crap when the snow is crap.

I guess you can't really have it all.

What I want more than anything is just a great all around board that is easy to butter/press with. If such a thing exists, more buttery + small jumps + powder (doesn't have to be fast). Don't care so much for rails, speed, or massive jumps. Had to be mid-wide or wide.

(Evo -> Revolver, was decent. Not sure how it holds up in Powder though? Made me think of the Proto but then the Proto is very similar to my Blacklist...)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
What's the wide of the Evo. Revo? See if you can give that a try. Small jumps should be fine. (I don't do small jumps I do micro jumps ... making my way up :yahoo:)

The Evo actually isn't a noodle it's a good mid flex. I didn't have mine long enough (gear whore) but I do regret not keeping it, hearing Cheese in another threat talk about how it breaks in at the tips. I found the tips stiffer at first and was bending the board in the middle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's the wide of the Evo. Revo? See if you can give that a try. Small jumps should be fine. (I don't do small jumps I do micro jumps ... making my way up :yahoo:)

The Evo actually isn't a noodle it's a good mid flex. I didn't have mine long enough (gear whore) but I do regret not keeping it, hearing Cheese in another threat talk about how it breaks in at the tips. I found the tips stiffer at first and was bending the board in the middle.
Yeah and the Revolver is a tad bit stiffer than the Evo. :(

So confused...

·
Registered
168 Posts
i have blacklist, yes the greats, neversummer SL etc. To be honest, BL is the most playful deck in my quiver and it's hard to find something more "butter-friendly" than BL if you don't want to go noodle. to some extend even, the BL Tip and Tail is a tad too soft for me that landing jumps needs extra attention, but also it maybe i downsized to 154 with 190#s. and if your size 12 is really causing a problem ,then the Yes is going to be too narrow imo.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I easily fit my size 11s on a Greats 158 and 156. I actually wear size 11.5 or 12s in some boots bit these are the downsized Burtons (in Burton bindings). Dont think you's have a problem with 12s in a 158 or 156 Legends.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
If you actually rode the Greats and like the way it butters then just get that. Its a super rad board. If you do want something softer I had a great time on the Yes Jackpot. The other one I might look at wouls be the Flow Verve for something softer. I could make the 154 my only board and I weigh 150lbs.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Nivek, how do you rate the flex of the Verve compared to say, Artifact rocker and Evo. Does it slot in between? Or comparable to the Evo?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone ride either of these Rome boards?

Rome Tour Snowboard Review | The Good RideThe Good Ride
Rome Agent Rocker Snowboard Review | The Good RideThe Good Ride

Rome Tour/Rome Agent Rocker?

Rome Tour review seems almost too good to be true. Above all I want something very light.

The problem I have with the Blacklist is that I think it's a pretty heavy board and it doesn't have enough dampening. That's what I liked about the NS's I was demoing.

Anyone have recommendations on a really light board with medium-soft flex and good at jumps/groomers/pow?

·
With extra cheese.
1,750 Posts
The Never Summers are definitely more damp than the Arbor Blacklist/Westmark but, quite frankly, the Westmark/Blacklist is not hard to press. If you are having trouble, I don't think another board is going to make a difference. You could get the Arbor Draft which is like a noodle but if you hate the damping on the Blacklist, you will absolutely hate the Draft. I rode one and just rutted up inruns for kickers made it hard to even get off the lip of the jump with any balance.

The thing I like more about the Evo is the camber brings the contact points closer making it easier to control butters. The Arbor is a lot more saucer like if that makes sense. The Greats is an absolute chore to even ride a 5-0 and I feel that for its stiffness it should be more damp. Also, the Tragna-Maction side cut is completely unnecessary IMO.

You want a board that can do it all; I say you have it. If you can press that board, you really need to practice. I can butter it up pretty easily on my Westmark which has about 50 days on it. Another board is not going to help. Sorry to be blunt but if you get a softer board like the Draft, you will hate life when the snowpack gets even a little rutted up.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Anyone ride either of these Rome boards?

Rome Tour Snowboard Review | The Good RideThe Good Ride
Rome Agent Rocker Snowboard Review | The Good RideThe Good Ride

Rome Tour/Rome Agent Rocker?

Rome Tour review seems almost too good to be true. Above all I want something very light.

The problem I have with the Blacklist is that I think it's a pretty heavy board and it doesn't have enough dampening. That's what I liked about the NS's I was demoing.

Anyone have recommendations on a really light board with medium-soft flex and good at jumps/groomers/pow?
A. Disregard everything the Goodride says. They're incredibly dumb.
2. Your Blacklist is not heavy, and the NeverSummers you rode I guarantee were heavier
III. Flow Verve, Salomon Villain, Rossi Retox or Trickstick, Bataleon Airobic, Capita DOA, YES Jackpot, or a Nitro Rook.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A. Disregard everything the Goodride says. They're incredibly dumb.
2. Your Blacklist is not heavy, and the NeverSummers you rode I guarantee were heavier
III. Flow Verve, Salomon Villain, Rossi Retox or Trickstick, Bataleon Airobic, Capita DOA, YES Jackpot, or a Nitro Rook.
Thank you very much. I'm going to investigate those boards.

Didn't realize how dumb Goodride was. Any recommendations for similar sites?

I think I'll build a community peer-reviewed gear site this weekend... interested?

The blacklist tugs on my foot on the lift... the NS Proto definitely felt like a feather with some flux bindings. But maybe it was the flux bindings that did it.

Thank you!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts