Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just needed some advice on gear. I am thinking about getting a new board and bindings. I am currently riding a k2 push series 152 with k2 sonic bindings. Both are from around 2008 (so like 13 years old), I bought it as my first board two years ago from someone. It is a traditional camber board and pretty stiff, before owning it I have no idea how it was stored or treated, but I don’t think the last owner took care of it that well.

I think I’m around a higher intermediate skill level at snowboarding. I’m pretty comfortable on most terrain levels. I really enjoy riding park (rails and jumps), but I also enjoy carving around the mountain, tree runs, etc. My switch isn’t super great but I can still ride decently on greens and blues.

My big question is do you think a newer board and bindings would be beneficial?

I've been thinking about a lago double barrel 152 with some union force bindings. Just as a nice all mountain freestyle setup.

But mainly I'm wondering if I would notice some benefit from having some newer gear?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You would notice. Everything has gotten better.

How are your boots? Those are the most important piece of gear.

I got new boots last year. Just from reading I knew that boots are a top priority for getting newer gear.

Thanks for the help! It gives me a lot more confidence in going for it. I just wanted to make sure that I would notice a difference.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
I don't think anyone here ever recommended not to get new gear. But I'm more curious what the actual issue is? Seems like that K2 board is not low end garbage, and stiff camber definitely would not be holding you back. And the Lago seems pretty similar, but more on the aggressive side.
Good way to start your quiver anyway. The most benefit would be from having a variety of boards for different conditions.

A good board will always be a good board, I still ride my 08 Lib Dark Series all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think anyone here ever recommended not to get new gear. But I'm more curious what the actual issue is? Seems like that K2 board is not low end garbage, and stiff camber definitely would not be holding you back. And the Lago seems pretty similar, but more on the aggressive side.
Good way to start your quiver anyway. The most benefit would be from having a variety of boards for different conditions.

A good board will always be a good board, I still ride my 08 Lib Dark Series all the time.
Thanks for the advice! It's good to hear an alternative because that's what I've been wondering. The K2 has definitely taken a beating. The last owner didn't really treat it that well from what I could tell, some base damage and other damage along the board. The bindings don't really stay strapped throughout a run, so I have to constantly tighten them.

It is all still rideable though, so that's why I have been so on the fence about getting newer gear. Because for the most part I'm happy with it.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
New bindings could definitely breath new life into a board. Especially if the current ones are too soft for the board. I bet some decent mid stiff binders would make a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The Double Barrel is a sweet board. I lent mine to my buddy and never got it back. Apparently I'll have to prize it from his cold dead fingers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like you have a pretty high end board other than it being beat up. What about a good tune job and repair on deep scratches?

Unless you're looking for an excuse for new gear.

You can also just get new bindings on clearance from previous year models still around for pretty cheap! Check local classifieds sometimes people sell really decent new or like new boards for cheap.

I have a brand new current year Burton flight attendant I'm selling for $420 in colorado. New never mounted 152 cm current price for that board is 550+ tax.

If you're local and interested let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts