Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post in the forum so here goes. So I told myself I wasnt going to get a new board this year but mine is beat to crap and I just came into some money... new board time!

I'm mostly an all mountain kind of rider, I want to be able to bomb hard pack runs, stay nimble in glades, and hit some jumps in the park. To give you an idea of my skill level I take most of the intermediate sized jumps and my best trick is a 360 and I dont mess with rails really so I'm not doing anything crazy here. I also love going off kickers on the sides of easy trails so I like a playful board.

I was looking at several rockers but I'm concerned with how they'll perform on hard pack and ice especially at high speed. I ski the New England mountains and go no matter what the conditions are, so I'm often working with pretty crappy snow and I want to be able to hold an edge.

My first and only board is a 2010 Endeavor Guerilla 159 wide. I'm 6'1" 200lb so I thought I'd like a bigger/wider board. Recently I've riden a 2006 K2 Nemesis 161 wide which I thought was way too stiff and heavy for me, and a 2012 Burton Process 159. I loved the Burton, so I'm definitely looking for a lighter, more flexible board. I honestly dont think I need the wide (even though I'm a size 12 foot) because we almost never get powder here and 95% of the trails are groomed.

I was looking at the Arbor Westmark and Coda, and at the Rossignol Templar Magtek. I really like the idea of the pointed side cut to help with traction on ice but I havent ridden one.

Looking at a price range of under $400 but being a college student obviously looking to maximize bang for the buck.

So anyone with more experience/skill have any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I have a Burton Custom X 158 for here on the ice coast and love it. It's one of their more aggressive boards and slays the hard pack. It's made it tough for me to get anything else, unless it's a newer Custom X. You can always find a decent deal on an X for around $400 or slightly more. I've seen a previous year sell for around $450-$500. New, it's around $700.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
The only downside to its aggressiveness is that it's a rather stiff board. It's not my park board, just my hell on wheels board. But it WILL hold an edge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts