Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting back into riding after being inconsistent since going to college and want to get a whole new setup for 2019. I've always enjoyed riding fast on groomers and through trees but really want to make a point add some style to my riding and put in some hours to progress in the park. I've done a ton of research and narrowed it down to three boards.

Never Summer Prototype Two

CAPiTA DOA

Saloman Huck Knife

All boards will be the 2019 model, assuming nothing changes and I chose these because I want a board that leans slightly closer to freestyle than all mountain. Also, I have very strong legs from many years of bodybuilding and haven't gotten a clear answer to whether or not this should be a factor when choosing a flex. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
My top picks for what your describing are the Rome National, Niche Theme, Arbor Coda Camber, and Salomon AssPro. Yes, if your legs are that strong stiffness will matter. I'm more of a power through my board and charge it kind off rider and those four are what I'd pick for myself.

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
I've owned the Proto Type 2 and Huck Knife, have ridden the DOA, and come from a powerlifting background so leg strength is never a problem. I wouldn't pick any of those if you're using the word aggressive to describe your riding. They'll hold up to it, but they can be buckled.

The Burton Custom Camber could fit the bill well. The small set back isn't going to hinder you at all in the park and it'll hold up to aggressive riding everywhere else on the mountain. Salomon Assassin Pro is also a good recommendation, a little more powder and park friendly and a little worse on groomers than the Custom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've owned the Proto Type 2 and Huck Knife, have ridden the DOA, and come from a powerlifting background so leg strength is never a problem. I wouldn't pick any of those if you're using the word aggressive to describe your riding. They'll hold up to it, but they can be buckled.
I definitely want something that leans closer to freestyle than all mountain, that’s how I arrived at these 3. I will probably end up getting a freeride setup during the season so I want the park capability. I just don’t want a floppy noodle that will definitely inhibit me going fast through the trees or down a groomer.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The Lago Double Barrel would fit nicely as well and can be had for a steel. Don't forget sizing will affect the ride. At just under 200 lbs I got my DB in 55 as I wanted it for practising switch and buttering but would have got the 59 for more all mountain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was looking at similar and tried the following:

- Salamon Assassin
- Capita DOA
- Salamon Huck Knife
- Yes The Greats

All of these were 2018 boards. I went for the Yes The Greats, but the Salomon Assassin was a close 2nd. The DOA was the worst of the four in my opinion.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I love my Proto TT but I wouldn't call my style aggressive. I like to cruise and go fast when I can and it is great for that, but I'm getting too old for jumps and jibs. All those suggestions sound good to me. I'd love to demo a Yes The Greats, I haven't had the pleasure yet.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My top picks for what your describing are the Rome National, Niche Theme, Arbor Coda Camber, and Salomon AssPro. Yes, if your legs are that strong stiffness will matter. I'm more of a power through my board and charge it kind off rider and those four are what I'd pick for myself.
How stiff is the National? I manhandled one in shop and it was a lot burlier than I expected. Hand flex isn't 100% reliable of course, but in the shop it felt significantly stiffer than my Blur despite being rated a notch softer (7/10 opposed to Blur's 8/10).

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
On snow it's not as stiff or as aggressive as the Blur.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you can try a Rossignol One Mag. I have owned a ton of other boards and used to change every year. Having owned the One Mag for years now I can't see past Rossignol boards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts