Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to snowboarding, and wanted to finally buy my own gear this season. I've tried to figure this out on my own, but many sites seem to list board lengths according to either weight or height. What would be an appropriate board length for me? I weigh 230 lbs and am 6'1". Any help would be great, so thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I figure you're not sure what kind of riding you want to do yet. I recommend sticking with something between 159-163cm and on the cheap end while you learn how to ride properly. After a season or two, then buy something nicer and more specific to what you want to do.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I figure you're not sure what kind of riding you want to do yet. I recommend sticking with something between 159-163cm and on the cheap end while you learn how to ride properly. After a season or two, then buy something nicer and more specific to what you want to do.

^^^^^ agree x2

I'm 6" 1' also (180ish lbs) and I now ride a 154 park board, and a 159 all mountain board for cruising down the mountain. It mainly depends on weight and width etc.. height has not a lot to do with it (well.. to an extent..)

Go to your local shop.. tell them what you told us.. they'll hook you up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've snowboarded past seasons with rentals and I dont plan on anything to hardcore for some time. Just the medium sized mountain slopes will do for now. Not sure if it makes a difference :s. Also, I noticed there are 'wide' versions of some sizes. I wear about size 11 shoes, would that warrant me getting a wide version?

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Mid wide at most, but you'll be fine on the vast majority of "regular" width all mountain boards. Most wide boards call for size 12+. Also, if your every day shoes are 11, it's typical to get boots a half size or full size smaller as they tend to pack out after a few days. When you buy boots, try on all of them to find one that suits your feet and I recommend getting them a little bit too small.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts