Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a question for anybody who can help me out. There's this GNU board I want, and I can get it new/unopened for a great deal, but it's a really old board- like early 2000s old. It's a GNU Factory Choice Series Freeride board (I'm not that familiar with GNU, but I'm pretty sure they don't make Factory Choice series anymore, only the Rider's Choice and Ladies Choice series). I'm not sure exactly what year model it is, but somewhere between 2000-2003? I really want it, but I'm unsure how it'll ride. It got great reviews when it originally came out, lots of people said it was great for the whole mountain, but with advances in board technology and everything over the last decade or so, would it be dumb to ride a board this old? What do you think? Thanks!

The board:

http://images.craigslist.org/00808_f...zl_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00g0g_g...AK_600x450.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Unless you have a penchant for riding old/vintage boards, or unless it's basically free, there is no reason to recommend this board.

It's silly to say "I really want this board" but then to follow-up with "But I know nothing about it..."

With new-old-stock available for under $200 on some boards, I can't in good conscience recommend a 15 year old board to anyone who's looking for a daily driver.

·
Registered
194 Posts
if you like it and the price is right, there's no reason not to.
the only thing to really watch for in "vintage" boards is how used they are, but if this one is unopened, there's really nothing to stop you there.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I missed the part about it being new old stock. If it really is new, then yeah, I might go for it but my caveat would still be that it has to be basically free: you can get legitimately "new" boards on closeout from last season (or maybe 2 seasons ago) for $200ish. I wouldn't spend anywhere near that much on a 15 year old board, about which I know very little other than its approximate age, when I can get something 1 or 2 years old (but still new) for the same price.

It is not going to be fancy by today's tech standards, but so what? Most of us learned on stuff even older than that, and we survived!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts