Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDITED: LIB TRS vs K2 TURBO DREAM (not the Raygun)

Hey guys, new to this forum, watsup!

I'm an intermediate-advanced rider looking to buy my first board (have used rentals for many years). I ride all mountain, love to bomb hills, carve, and do some freestyle (no jib). I will be primarily riding California slopes (Bear, June, Mammoth).

I'm trying to decide between the LIB TRS BTX and the K2 Turbo Dream. I'll be buying Union Force SL bindings.

I'm 5'8 and weigh 120lbs. For the LIB i'm thinking i would get a 154 and the Raygun a 150.

Does anybody have experience with these boards or just general input they can offer for me? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
:bowdown:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey guys, new to this forum, watsup!

I'm an intermediate-advanced rider looking to buy my first board (have used rentals for many years). I ride all mountain, love to bomb hills, carve, and do some freestyle (no jib). I will be primarily riding California slopes (Bear, June, Mammoth).

I'm trying to decide between the LIB TRS BTX and the K2 Raygun. I'll be buying Union Force SL bindings.

I'm 5'8 and weigh 120lbs. For the LIB i'm thinking i would get a 154 and the Raygun a 150.

Does anybody have experience with these boards or just general input they can offer for me? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
:bowdown:
2 pretty seriously different boards there mate, opposite ends of the scale as far as riding level and price..

Raygun's essentially a flat profile, with rockered tips, I've heard a middle-of-the-road flex around 5/10... Raygun is more or less aimed at beginners
to intermediates. Will be a lot more playful than the TRS but will be nowhere near as stable at speed.

TRS on the other hand has Lib's C2BTX (or EC2BTX for 2014 which is the same profile but more pronounced) which has rocker between the bindings and camber underfoot as well as Lib's Magnetraction tech. The flex sits around 7/10. You really have to be riding at a more advanced level to get the most out of it and is built for bombing steeps, think Blair Habenicht dropping a heavy couloir in Alaska.. Not to say you can't press it but the K2 would be much more approachable.

Take into consideration price as well, $559 retail for the Lib or $360 for the K2.

Unfortunately I can't tell you first hand how they perform but from what I've read/heard they are both really good boards (both boards were TW GoodWood winners), but at the same time they're quite different.

Hope this helps in some way :thumbsup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I purchased my first board last year after looking around for months on what I thought might just fit me the best. I ultimately settled on my LIB T.Rice Pro HP and can happily say I'm glad I didn't settle for anything less. It's an all mountain board which is amazing for over here on the east coast, especially when most of the time I'm just clinging to ice. It's super fast and I can humbly say that it even does my job for me sometimes when I'm off in la-la land. Since I've had such a good experience with LIB last season, I can pretty much assure you that I'll probably find myself into another one (but maybe longer) this season! Lib all the way!

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
Have you considered the K2 Fastplant instead of the Raygun...???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bad! K2 Turbo Dream!

Shit, i meant the K2 Turbo Dream, not the Raygun! My bad

The Turbo Dream is more comparable price-wise to the TRS. Price is of no concern to me in this decision.

I took a look at the Fastplant, but isn't that a jib/street board? I'm looking more for all-mountain that still performs decently in freestyle. For freestyle i'll only be hitting jumps and pipes.

I see how the TRS and Turbo Dream are different. TRS has much better edge hold and performs slightly better for freestyle, while the Turbo Dream has mediocre edge hold but performs greatly on powder.

I'll mostly be riding California slopes (Bear, June, Mammoth), so given the average conditions on those mountains, which do you guys think would be better for me?

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
I took a look at the Fastplant, but isn't that a jib/street board? I'm looking more for all-mountain that still performs decently in freestyle. For freestyle i'll only be hitting jumps and pipes.
Fastplant Snowboard | Snowboards | K2 Snowboarding 2012-13

I am 5"11 and 210lbs and i ride a 154 Fastplant...

Would i say it is an all round board...??? Yes, but the board i have is small, because i like a small board, however, i would quite happily buy a 157 and ride it in deep POW, i have had no issues with mine, and am more than happy with it's performance...

I think people overlook it as an all mountain board because people ride it smaller than they normally would, that is not to say you couldn't buy it as a regular size for weight/height and have even more fun...

The only let down for me with this board is the Top Sheet doesn't wear as well as other boards, it seems a little soft and gets chipped easily in lines, but then any board chips this just chipped and looked like an old board a bit quicker than normal in my eyes...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts