Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I recently snowbaorded for the first time thi past Monday and I've fallen in love with the sport. I already have most of my gear which I purchased online, the only purchase that didn't quite work out was my glove purchase. I bought a pair of Grenade gloves but I ended up buying glvoes that were too thin. By the end of the day my gloves had frozen solid into an almost claw shape from spending so much time on my butt, pushing myself up, etc. Both of my hands were pretty much numb.

Anyway, I've learned my lesson and will be buying my pair of gloves from a local shop (Emilio's in Forest Hills, Queens). What brand of gloves should I check out, which gloves should I stay away from?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Dakine Titans are a good glove with GoreTex and liners. Usually $65.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just checked them out online. I see that they're available in mitts and fingered style. Is there an advantage to wearing mitts rather than having gloves with fingers?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Mittens are warmer. Gloves make it easier to pick ice boogers out of your nose and manipulate objects like zippers.

I've been thinking about trying mittens.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, picking ice boogers is high up on the list of things I'll need to do when riding.
Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Or you can combine the best of both worlds and get 3 fingered gloves. A good company to look at is Hestra.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I got a pair of leather Swany mitts, easily the best mitts I have ever owned. Still warm and dry on season #3.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mitts>>>>>Gloves

Mitts have about 1/5 of the stitching that gloves do, hence they are more durable and remain waterproof twice as long. I'm no fan of Burton, but their Gore Mitt is the shit. The 4 way stretch liners work great as spring/pipe gloves too. Kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I am going to split the difference and check out some 3 fingered gloves. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mitts>>>>>Gloves

Mitts have about 1/5 of the stitching that gloves do, hence they are more durable and remain waterproof twice as long. I'm no fan of Burton, but their Gore Mitt is the shit. The 4 way stretch liners work great as spring/pipe gloves too. Kill two birds with one stone.
Friend has these mittens with removable liners and they are amazing. Was a bit jealous honestly...

I have some Black Diamond Renegades and they keep my hands toasty. Just kinda like the liner features.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mitts>>>>>Gloves

Word! I have the Burton Gore Mitts and love them. I am not a fan of Burtons but these gloves rock!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I started with mitts and got sick of them. I got some Burton Gortex gloves on sale last year and they are superb. No more wet gloves after a day of riding!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I started with mitts and got sick of them. I got some Burton Gortex gloves on sale last year and they are superb. No more wet gloves after a day of riding!

What made you sick of them. Because your fingers weren't able to fing?

·
Registered
366 Posts
What made you sick of them. Because your fingers weren't able to fing?
I couldn't strap in properly etc. I guess I'm not a mitts guy. My hands get warm when I'm riding so I guess gloves work for me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts