Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals I'm new to the forum, this season will be my 4th, I currently have a Salomon Scout board and as of now I think I'm going to go with the Union Force Bindings. I'm an all mountain boarder mostly just carving down the mountain with the occasional small jumps or rails, but I would like to get in the park more, but still majority of my time will be doing mountain runs. Btw I'm 5'6 145 LBS with a sz.9 boot, knowing this I'm looking for a board somewhere near 148-151 area, which I think is appropriate for my style and height/weight? I'm looking at a few boards right now a 2008-09 Burton Custom X , 2009-10 Burton Custom, 2009-10 Never Summer SL-R, and the 2009-10 Rome Anthem. I have about $400-500 to spend. Right now I'm leaning towards the 08-09 custom X because of the price ($350) and from the reviews it seems like its a pretty good board. Any advice or suggestions is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
177 Posts
They're all good boards, I would say go with the Custom X too since it's such a deal. It uses the ICS system though. Though you can always use the adapter to install the Forces, I'd pick up a pair of Burton bindings too just for that extra adjustability. They make some good bindings anyway.

·
Registered
90 Posts

The Custom X will have a much stiffer flex than your Salomon Scout, something you may or may not like.

I would check out some discounts on last seasons models, you can find a lot of good boards for $190 - 350.

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
Good price for the Custom X. Don't do the regular Custom for this year, since the X will be better and cheaper. I never buy current year boards, even with my discount.

Keep in mind, with a $350 Custom X, you will need to use your whole budget to buy a pair of Burton EST bindings. Putting anything other than the EST will effectively render the whole ICS system useless. Have you considered other brands? I mean a Custom X is real nice with ESTs for super adjustability, but you can get other great boards for your money. I guess the ICS will really benefit you in that you can change your stance for park riding or powder runs on the fly.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
IMO, although the X is at a pretty decent price, I'd look to pass on it. The Custom X is a pretty stiff board compared to all the others you listed. Plus, if you're looking to get into park riding, you may want something softer. Again, IMO, the SL-R is your best bet. If you look around online, you may still find the 2010 models on sale. They were just 25% off during the weekend.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks ya Ive heard about the EST for the custom x but I don't really think I will bother or benefit from adjusting the bindings, so I probably wouldnt bother with the EST. I've read some of the reviews on the SL-R and frankly it sounds a little intimidating most people said it was harder to get used to than most boards and that its less forgiving. With my Scout I can carve no problem and it kind of took my awhile to be comfortable toe side carving, and I really dont want to lose that. So I guess the search continues, anyone with any more suggestions or advice?

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
You sound pretty stoked on the Custom X and that is certainly a great model and price.

A few things that may be of interest. In the smaller sizes this board is not as stiff as Burton rates it. Our internal materials have the 147 and 152 rated at neutral stiffness (slightly less in 147 cm). The larger sizes are stiffer and more in line with the "7" that Burton gives this model. Please remember that it is VERY common for boards of different sizes within a model to have entirely different flex characteristics. Also, at 145 lbs, you are above the weight range for the 147, but you will fit really well on the 152 in terms of weight and your foot size is correct for that size as well. Although that is outside of the size range you were considering, I would not let that keep you from this great choice.

Pull the trigger!

We don't sell that product but feel free to email if you want a suggestion on where to buy.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
i actually use to own the scout a couple years ago and it was one of my favorite boards for all around park and regular riding until i bought my never summer evo-r. if you are looking for something to get into the park with but still carve down the mtn the evo would prob be better then the sl-r. the evo comes in a 151 as well.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ Nice do you have the 09/10 evo-r?

WiredSport thanks for all the help and yes I' am kind of leaning towards the custom x but I've heard that Burtons don't really hold up that well? Would anybody be able to comment on the validity of that statement?

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts

WiredSport thanks for all the help and yes I' am kind of leaning towards the custom x but I've heard that Burtons don't really hold up that well? Would anybody be able to comment on the validity of that statement?
Here is the low-down on Burton. They are a name-brand of the snowboard world. You pay a premium just for the name alone. With that said, they do have very excellent quality products. Their entry level equipment just does not cut if for the price that they ask. However, their high boards, like the Custom X, are undoubtedly great. There is a whole community of people who hate on Burton and don't want anything to do with them. A lot of which do not even have much experience riding good Burton boards. They will all tell you that the newer ICS system is complete garbage, but the truth is, it is a very good implementation of an old idea.

I personally ride a 07 Burton Shaun White (I have a preference towards anything Shaun White :laugh:). I used to ride, well a Ride lol. I love Ride boards as well. My next board will most likely be a Lib-Tech.

I have many friends that ride Custom X's and none of them complain. I've had my Shaun white since 2007 and have never had a problem with it and I put in some major shred sessions in Michigan crud.

Bottom line, Burton is really good when it's good and really bad when it's bad. They aren't the only company that suffers from this though. Just ignore the haters and listen to people who can provide you with views from both sides. Better yet, don't listen to anyone and go find out for yourself. Bad purchases and faulty equipment is part of the game. There is nothing like real-world experience and hear-say will only get you so far.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts

Its not correct. Burton, like all brands does have some warranties, but they are in line with the rest of the quality board makers in the industry. They sell more boards, so yes, there will be a higher # of defect boards, but the percentages are excellent.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

i had last years evo-r but i blew the edge out on a box(completely my fault and nothing to do with the quality of the board) so i got the 9/10 model on proform for this season. from what i hear they are both the same and not much was changed between the 2.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks again so much guys for the advice/help. In the end I was able to get a 09/10 Burton Custom 152 and C02 EST bindings shipped to my house for $600 through a deal with work, so hopefully this works out it is a lot stiffer than my Scout which I have recently discovered was a Park board...O well thats what happens when noobs buy their first board LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts