Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's that sweet time where a guy gets a new board! I've been riding this burton motion from 99 that is still in good shape.. But feel like I could use the realms of some new technology and a hybrid profile. Only ride Mt. Baker and love bombing groomers, carving bigtime like a maniac, trees, popping off rollers, Powder, small side hits and no park since they have non. I've narrowed it down to these ... in order of preference..

Yes Hybrid (Very intriguing due to its tapered side cut that progresses down)

Salomon Dancehaul (Many top all mountain picks)

Libtech Cold brew (Buddy has one and says its really awesome board all around.)

Capita Mercury (So many people say this is a great all around board and stands the test of time)

I'm 5'9' and 140 lbs boot size 9.5 9K2 Darko) with malavita bindings from 2015

Open to any suggestions. I have a good grasp of riding and can basically ride most stuff no problem. Love Baker! and want to get a board that can handle the heavy snow we get here and the crazy deep and the rutted out bumpy stuff. I lean towards the yes Hybrid cause of all the good things I hear and the side cut seems to just eat everything up. Seems perfect for a season at Baker! The Dancehaul looks very nice too and the reason it's second is it is just a radial cut and it can get surprise icy at parts of Baker. Hit me up if you've ridden any of these or think something like a Terrain Wrecker would be better, although I don't know if I would like a rocker centered board and I hear that board is not the best at high speed. I also am more into rocker/camber boards like the Hybrid cause the board I have now is totally Flat and a little camber in the center would be nice ha :)

Thanks for any replies in advance and ask any questions ya like !!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Like you, I'm also super intrigued by the Yes Hybrid. Many rave reviews out there. Those graphics tho...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The graphics absolutely speak to me as lover of Space and the woods. I’m like 80% leaning towards getting the Hybrid in the 153 they offer this year…. The side cut seems kinda fun and friendly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm actually contemplating getting either the hybrid or the mercury. let me know what you end(ed) up choosing! another fun option: LT Terrain Wrecker...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can’t speak to the other decks but I ride 2 yes’s with tapered side cut and find they have a quality I really like of being awesome in the deep but not being catchy on hard pack. I used to ride Libs and find the yes edge disruption to offer a better grip for me while being superior for stable flat tracking/smooth carves

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dont have any experience on these boards but sounds like Mercury is time tested as a good board and the Dancehaul looks slick and supposedly is a must try board this year. But I had a question for you, I also bought a set of the K2 Darko boots a couple seasons ago and was curious how their holding up? Mine started falling apart after the first use and I'm far from a hard rider. Based on how fast these are falling apart I'd definitely wouldnt consider buying another k2 product, did you have something similar or was I just lucky? Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine have actually held up pretty well except for some fading of the color and one of the lace loops is almost sliced because I would sometimes rest my board on that part of the boot and it would cut into it. Mine are before they had them with the lace protectors. Sorry to hear that yours are kinda disintegrating:(
I bet if you contacted k2 they would help you out. Granted I have like 40 days on them, but they seem like they have a lot of life. Love the ankle boa and the comfort is pretty nice. Never hit park with them and they seem responsive with a pair of 2014 Malavitas.
I’m curious about the the Thraxis ones with the double boa..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can’t speak to the other decks but I ride 2 yes’s with tapered side cut and find they have a quality I really like of being awesome in the deep but not being catchy on hard pack. I used to ride Libs and find the yes edge disruption to offer a better grip for me while being superior for stable flat tracking/smooth carves
Nice! Sounds like a good balance. I put in for my buddies board shop to set aside a 153 Hybrid for me when they come in:) I though about a Party Platter also, but just felt really good about trying the Hybrid. I just hope it has enough pop for some tiddy little drops and the spontaneous side hit:)

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
Nice! Sounds like a good balance. I put in for my buddies board shop to set aside a 153 Hybrid for me when they come in:) I though about a Party Platter also, but just felt really good about trying the Hybrid. I just hope it has enough pop for some tiddy little drops and the spontaneous side hit:)
I love that new K2 Party Platter Tony Hawk deck - I've got a LTD PP from a season ago and I so want to trade it in to this new graphic.

Light Product Black Liquid Skateboard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts