Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
long story short: i gave up on snowboarding when i was eleven or twelve years old because i was partial to skiboarding/snowblading. i guess i just didn't like having my feet strapped to one board, i don't know. don't judge me. i've had the same set of salomon snowblades for years and while i love them, they're getting old and need to be replaced. the market for them never really developed AND i'm kind of over the whole trick-skis thing, too... and i recently got back into longboarding because it was cheaper than buying a bike and i needed something to get around campus ;) so i've decided to get back into snowboarding.

my problem(s) are as follows: i'm not an absolute beginner, but it's been so long that i've been on a board that i don't even know what i'm looking for. i'm a twenty-something female and i'm short (4'11") but an athlete, so i'm heavier than the average petite female but my body composition is more muscular than the average petite female. i went to a place to rent recently (just to get a feel for my options, i'll probably end up buying something as i live in new england and like to get out) and was told that a child's size board would fit my height best but would not carry my weight. they also told me they don't carry any women's boards that are short enough for me... but surely there's got to be something out there? help?

thanks!

eta: i'm about 125 lb and wear a 7.5 women's shoe.

·
Registered
619 Posts
long story short: i gave up on snowboarding when i was eleven or twelve years old because i was partial to skiboarding/snowblading. i guess i just didn't like having my feet strapped to one board, i don't know. don't judge me. i've had the same set of salomon snowblades for years and while i love them, they're getting old and need to be replaced. the market for them never really developed AND i'm kind of over the whole trick-skis thing, too... and i recently got back into longboarding because it was cheaper than buying a bike and i needed something to get around campus ;) so i've decided to get back into snowboarding.

my problem(s) are as follows: i'm not an absolute beginner, but it's been so long that i've been on a board that i don't even know what i'm looking for. i'm a twenty-something female and i'm short (4'11") but an athlete, so i'm heavier than the average petite female but my body composition is more muscular than the average petite female. i went to a place to rent recently (just to get a feel for my options, i'll probably end up buying something as i live in new england and like to get out) and was told that a child's size board would fit my height best but would not carry my weight. they also told me they don't carry any women's boards that are short enough for me... but surely there's got to be something out there? help?

thanks!

Snowboard size depends much more on weight than it does height. We are going to need to know your weight to know what board size should work for you. Also foot size will help as well.

·
With extra cheese.
1,750 Posts
Board selection and sizing will depend mostly on weight, style, preference and boot size and to a lesser degree height and athleticism; athleticism only really becomes an issue if it's really poor, which you indicated isn't the case, but then you'll have trouble do with strenuous physical activities, anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snowboard size depends much more on weight than it does height. We are going to need to know your weight to know what board size should work for you. Also foot size will help as well.
edited post to include that info but i'll repeat it here, i'm 125 lb and wear a women's 7.5.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
There are plenty of boards that will suit your foot size and weight. That rental place is 100% ignorant. I would think 145-148 would be perfect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats your budget and riding style? As said earlier there are a good amount of boards that will work for you.
probably about $400-500. freestyle and/or all mountain. freestyle's the closest description of how i've been using my snowblades but all mountain is probably closer to what i'm looking for these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts