Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Going away for a week to France and am feeling a bit anxious after not having been for 3 years. Off to get 3 hours of practice beforehand but please, will I find my snow feet again?! I have this panic that I'll have completely forgotten and will be back to square one!

I wasn't a great boarder by any stretch but could turn down the mountains and get down them. My hubby is a seasoned boarder so he's amazing and helps me out. He keeps telling me I'll be fine!

Will I? :D Just need some reassurance I think!

·
Super Moderator
6,093 Posts
There will be a strong urge to give up in the first couple of hours. Push past that. You do get your mojo back, but only by working your way back through the various stages of learning (in compressed format, of course).

The last couple of years have been 'uneven' for me in terms of getting to the mountain regularly. As a result, I find it takes several sessions to get back to where I was at the end of the previous season. That would be worse if the gap was multiple seasons. The primary lesson, though, is that one four-hour session will get you back quicker than two two-hour sessions, or worse yet, four one-hour sessions. Just don't stay to the point where you get tired and injure yourself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for that. I don’t doubt it for a moment. So I’ll stay tenacious and power through! No doubt I’ll tell my husband I hate him numerous times 🤣

Good to know that I will find my snow feet again though!

·
Registered
221 Posts
The 3 hours of practice is in a dome presumably? That'll be fine, but I have to say conditions in France are tricky at the moment with the lack of snow & warm temps. I've had one trip so far this season & it was really icy, & a mate's currently out in France (3V I think) & not having a great time for the same reason. Hopefully it's better where you're going or there's more snow before then, but if not, be prepared for potentially a tough few days. South-facing slopes in a high resort would be my choice I think!

·
Registered
277 Posts
You will be fine very quickly IF its not icy and horrible. Do wear a helmet and wrist guards though. Bit like riding a bike really after a couple of runs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Feel better already! Yes, it’s a snow dome.
We’re off to Avoriaz. Our friends live there and the snows great :) x

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem is - you end up letting anxiety take over and before you know it, you convince yourself you're incapable! I'm already thinking ;shite - I need a lesson!

Argh!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just see how you feel after a bit of time at the dome. No point trying to second-guess it & stressing about it until then. Which dome are you going to?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was going to say if it's Tamworth you'll get the practice on ice anyway (if you go late afternoon/evening)! I'm in Wiltshire so all the domes are at least 2 hours away (until they build the one in Swindon - if they ever do).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, thats crap! We're going for three hours one morning during the week to avoid busy! I've heard Milton Keynes is amazing. Tamworth is so overcrowded!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Milton Keynes is much better in that it's twice as wide & they hold the lessons on a different slope rather than clutter up the sides of the main slope like at Tamworth. The downside of Milton Keynes is you get bare patches of wood appearing later in the day (they don't re-groom it at lunchtime like Tamworth), & it's only got Pomas. I wish they'd build one here like the one at Landgraaf.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,314 Posts
What board do you have? Do you rent? There's a big difference between different profiles in their "step on it and feel good" capacity.

For someone who doesn't ride much, or had a long hiatus like you, I'd recommend to get a CRC profile board. They are pretty much catch free. You will have enough to do with finding balance and reactivating muscle memory... there's no need to add the potential fear of catching edges.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What board do you have? Do you rent? There's a big difference between different profiles in their "step on it and feel good" capacity.

For someone who doesn't ride much, or had a long hiatus like you, I'd recommend to get a CRC profile board. They are pretty much catch free. You will have enough to do with finding balance and reactivating muscle memory... there's no need to add the potential fear of catching edges.
I have a Lib Tech board - she's great! Don't plan on getting another one at this stage but thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Milton Keynes is much better in that it's twice as wide & they hold the lessons on a different slope rather than clutter up the sides of the main slope like at Tamworth. The downside of Milton Keynes is you get bare patches of wood appearing later in the day (they don't re-groom it at lunchtime like Tamworth), & it's only got Pomas. I wish they'd build one here like the one at Landgraaf.
Tamworth is really bad for that. Back when I had lessons, I ended up getting a refund from one lesson as ther was no room to practice. It was rammed!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Lib tech will be CRC as neni recommended. I normally have a couple of hours at Hemel before a trip but didn't have time this year. I was fine by the first afternoon, I'm sure you will be too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I took couple of years off. I was nervous, but it was pretty much like riding a bike. All the moves there, just not as strong and definitely needed to really focus.
In addition to a helmet and wrist guards it doesnt hurt to also get a tail bone protection. Falls happen to the best. Be confident and dont psyche yourself out.
Good luck! Hope you will report back how it went!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I went for three hours yesterday and I was actually like the last day of my last holiday! I felt nervous at first but confident by the end!
Going through that fear is so worth the feeling at the end. Now I can’t wait for my holiday :)
Thanks for your support 🙏🏼

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took couple of years off. I was nervous, but it was pretty much like riding a bike. All the moves there, just not as strong and definitely needed to really focus.
In addition to a helmet and wrist guards it doesnt hurt to also get a tail bone protection. Falls happen to the best. Be confident and dont psyche yourself out.
Good luck! Hope you will report back how it went!
Thank you darling! Yep - have the old bum protector 🤣 xx

1 - 20 of 26 Posts