Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
-Weekend Warrior-
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Great review. I'm curious how this differs from the Proto T2. I'm wondering if I would notice a huge difference because they sound very similar. Obviously the Funslinger is a bit softer but I'd love to ride both back2back. The Proto lays trenches too, but I'm starting to wish I got the Funslinger, it is probably more playful and fun and now that I hear you can bomb on it too, it sounds awesome. I'm a bigger guy 270lbs so maybe the flex on the Proto suits me better. Anyhow great review!!!
I think you'd find the Funslinger to be a little more noisy in chunky conditions, we had 5" of fresh this morning that turned bumpy by late afternoon and I was absorbing a decent amount in my legs. I wasn't getting bounced around, but it was noticably less damp and smooth compared to the SL/Legacy. The Proto T2 has some dampening that the Funslinger doesn't have.

The Proto T2 is also little stiffer, but at your size I wonder if you ride the Proto in the same way that I ride the Funslinger- same flex experience on different boards.

The Proto T2 also has a different topsheet that's supposed to be pretty good traction.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What size Funslinger would you guys recommend for me? I was thinking a 157 but it dsounds like everyone thinks the 159.

I'm 5"9 190lbs

I ride mostly park and all mountain, not many nice pow days here in Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
What size Funslinger would you guys recommend for me? I was thinking a 157 but it dsounds like everyone thinks the 159.

I'm 5"9 190lbs

LoL I am 5'11"180 pounds, and size 10 boots and ride the 154 wide. I love it. I also have a 157 Type Two regular width. I ride my Funslinger more often. All mountain and park.

·
-Weekend Warrior-
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

I'm 5"9 190lbs

I say the 157. I get pop from that size at 225.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Why do you ride a wide board with size 10 boots?
Better float, stability, if you are into deep carving and don't like severe angles you can ride with absolutley no toe drag. Size 10 is a large enough boot to control the extra waist width without losing out in to many other areas. I am a recent convert, I still have some regular width boards but much prefer the wides. I haven't noticed much loss of edge to edge quickness at all for it to be a concern. @deagol is a recent convert as well and TT and the Chairman both ride wides when they don't need to

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
.... @deagol is a recent convert as well and TT and the Chairman both ride wides when they don't need to
The ironic thing is that I am now in size 8 boots and am loving the wide.
I remember reading something about width and why riders should go as narrow as possible, probably had to do with leverage or edge to edge quickness? Someone else may be able to shed lite on this.

But, considering I am having no edge to edge issues after 2 days on the Chairman X and no leverage problems, Wide will be my new preference as well. It also floats better.

Still curious to get the "official take" on why narrow is normal.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Love the Funslinger, love wide boards, size 10 boot. I've got a 156 sitting back in NZ that will be for sale there in June, if I found a 157X or 160X locally I'd be hard to pass up!

I spent most of today in the trees on a 163 Super 8, 266 waist width. If I was ever going to notice an issue edge to edge it'd be in here, but I was pretty happy all day long :)

Attachments

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,135 Posts
Better float, stability, if you are into deep carving and don't like severe angles you can ride with absolutley no toe drag. Size 10 is a large enough boot to control the extra waist width without losing out in to many other areas. I am a recent convert, I still have some regular width boards but much prefer the wides. I haven't noticed much loss of edge to edge quickness at all for it to be a concern. @deagol is a recent convert as well and TT and the Chairman both ride wides when they don't need to
The ironic thing is that I am now in size 8 boots and am loving the wide.
I remember reading something about width and why riders should go as narrow as possible, probably had to do with leverage or edge to edge quickness? Someone else may be able to shed lite on this.

But, considering I am having no edge to edge issues after 2 days on the Chairman X and no leverage problems, Wide will be my new preference as well. It also floats better.

Still curious to get the "official take" on why narrow is normal.
Love the Funslinger, love wide boards, size 10 boot. I've got a 156 sitting back in NZ that will be for sale there in June, if I found a 157X or 160X locally I'd be hard to pass up!

I spent most of today in the trees on a 163 Super 8, 266 waist width. If I was ever going to notice an issue edge to edge it'd be in here, but I was pretty happy all day long :)
I've previously heard the reasons why some people prefer wider boards.
I'd still like to hear the original poster's answer though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Actually when I first bought the board I was wearing size 11 boots. I've never had a wide board in the past but the width of the 154X being 258mm it isn't very wide so I thought I'd give it a try. I ended up sizing down my boots this season and size 10 boots fit me well. The width of the board doesn't bother me at all. Its actually fun in the hard turns and I just feel more comfortable on it. This season I got a Type Two 157 normal width, and surprisingly it feels almost weird to me having a narrow board like it. I thought for sure it would be my favorite board ever but I think I like the wide Funslinger more. Now if the Funslinger was say like a 264mm width I can't say for sure I'd feel the same way about it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I actually have those exact same boards. Took the funslinger out today for the first time. I'm gonna have to do a same day comparison but I must say I'm digging the shorter wide board.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Guys! I need your input! I'm 190lbs 5'9" and ride mostly all mountain freestyle, spend some time in the park and on smaller jumps but love to butter down and on everything.

My local shop let me ride a 153 Funslinger! The board carves extremely hard and had great pop, definitely the most fun I've had on a board performance wise. My question is though, I currently ride a 156.... would a 153 be too small for me? I was able to throw this board around so easily and it felt fantastic. What am I loosing/gaining by going with a smaller board? Will this hold up on deeper snow and tree runs when I head out west twice a year? I live in the Midwest right now and ride a smaller hill with a great park.

Thank you in advance!

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Guys! I need your input! I'm 190lbs 5'9" and ride mostly all mountain freestyle, spend some time in the park and on smaller jumps but love to butter down and on everything.

My local shop let me ride a 153 Funslinger! The board carves extremely hard and had great pop, definitely the most fun I've had on a board performance wise. My question is though, I currently ride a 156.... would a 153 be too small for me? I was able to throw this board around so easily and it felt fantastic. What am I loosing/gaining by going with a smaller board? Will this hold up on deeper snow and tree runs when I head out west twice a year? I live in the Midwest right now and ride a smaller hill with a great park.

Thank you in advance!

get a 159 ..............

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
i guess the '56 would be fine for park and small jumps

Any reason why? My buddy has a 159 space case and wishes he would have got the 155 to play around on.

you weigh 190

you wanna ride it on "mountains out west"

I'm about 175 and have been on 155ish forever...just moved up to 160ish...feels great. The funslinger is soft, if you get a really little one you gonna be all over the handlebars and squish all the camber out of it instead of enjoying the pop.

·
Registered
745 Posts
you weigh 190

I'm about 175 and have been on 155ish forever...just moved up to 160ish...feels great. The funslinger is soft, if you get a really little one you gonna be all over the handlebars and squish all the camber out of it instead of enjoying the pop.
This, I got. Process which is about as soft as a funslinger, I'm about 170 and I regret not getting the 162, a lot of it is preference though, but a soft 155 at your weight is really not a lot of board.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
905 Posts

Thank you in advance!

haha it seems every third thread on here is transforming in to this debate...it think it might have already been argued earlier in this thread...its all a blur.

you weigh 190

So I agree with your point about a short version of this board not being the best for an "out west" big mountain all mountain ride.

While I know it has been said before, the short/wide set up on this is really nice for playing around the mountain. I have a 154 wide and am just over 200 lbs. No real loss of pop compared to my 157 TT and way more fun to toss around.

Ive generally rode boards in 156-8 range. My weight puts me more in to 159-161 range which I have tried and flat out don't enjoy. It's just more board than I like to deal with. Now, I would change my tune if we were talking about straight powder; but Ive heard "loss of pop" "you're gonna fold it in half" "theres no way it would be a fun ride" in regards to the shorter boards (seems the debate always stems from threads about NS) and I'm just not seeing it.

To each their own i suppose

21 - 39 of 39 Posts