Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, spent a full day on the Funslinger today.

I gotta say, this board is kinda the shit. It's not a daily driver for me and my riding style, but it would definitely replace my old NS Evo in the quiver for a soft, playful board.

Never Summer is starting to perfect the CRC design with their latest boards. Extending the camber to under foot is a major improvement. The old designs were just a little too rocker dominant IMO. Extending that camber a little deeper helps provide more grip and predictability to the ride while also providing more pop, but the center rocker still provides plenty of playfulness.

I'm riding a 156 at 195# and still had no issues holding a solid edge on some pretty damn solid hardpack.

This board is asymetrical, but I honestly don't think asym makes a big difference.

To sum it up, this basically rides like a softer version of the Evo with better edge hold, more pop, and an interesting tip shape that I really like for butters.

Anyway, here's some pics from the day:

I'm riding it with Flux DS's and I think it's a perfect pairing.

Plenty of pop to catch air off of the primarily featureless groomers that Loveland is sporting right now.

This thing is SOFT. If you can't butter and press this board, then I don't know what to tell you.

Even at 195# on a 156 soft park board, I had no issues laying some trenches on some pretty damn bulletproof hard pack today.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, broke my helmet and damn near knocked myself out on this thing today. Totally my fault, nothing on the board. Being an idiot on hard packed groomers and karma power bombed my ass off of a roller for blowing off responsibilities to go ride.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Meh, I'm alright. That was a pretty good dinger though. Definitely wasn't right for the rest of the day. Probably should've just packed it in for the day but I never like ending on a sour note.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Now we have all the puzzle pieces to fix the current proto, return it to its glory days reborn, with balls and mindblowing go everywhere style. (instead of an expensive park board, see my other posts on the subject, I do like my board, more every day, but still, it could be a little gnarlier without being a plank['14 proto]).

so theres this noodle('Slinger), very un-damp for an NS, and the Ripsaw. The FS is a fun board but you can tell in any kind of snow over 3 inches it is just gonna get pushed around and feel everything in a not good way. On the other hand the aggressive camber combined with pasta like flex gives it a ton of pop and carveability where you can land in a giant sweet spot for a press. It certainly eclipses the Evo which I felt was pretty lacking in personality or fun factor(which I feel the Proto has moved toward), it has to be considered a strong contender in the park. Although the one I saw had carbonium and NS better watch their price point on boards people plan to slide on metal and wood and shit.

Combine all the tech that is in the current Proto but put it in this profile and a mid stiff all mountain flex.

Maybe put that ercx angle in the tips too.

More free market research for NS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How did this handle on groomed runs when you pick up a bit of speed?

All the reviews I've read say despite being softer than the Evo, the profile makes it more stable and gives it more grip. This kinda sounds like it's more "all-mountain" (maybe somewhere between the Evo and the Proto), but none of them go so far as to say that.

I'm in the market for an all-mountain freestyle board, with slighly more focus on the freestyle. I don't mind giving up a bit of piste performance, but it would be my only board so don't want to sacrifice too much.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I like my proto HD 154 2014 series. Add in that extra camber profile and perhaps even that asym and ill buy it :). Keep the flex im ok with that

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I'm thinking from the reviews i've read along with me being on the east coast with relatively small hills this board could suit my needs all over

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I have a Snowtrooper in a 159. Which is awesome for all mountain easy to butter and a pretty playful board but also handles carving extremely well. In videos and reviews I have seen though the funslinger seems so playful. I love small hits out of the sides of trails, buttering down the mountain and a few park features here and there it seems the funslinger would be perfect for that. Is the funslinger too similar to the snowtrooper to justify buying it? I would probably buy it in a shorter size and use it on days I know we will be hitting a few laps through the park or days when I ride just with my girlfriend because she isn't into bombing runs.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Rode this around the crustasaurus as well as a fresh line drop off the top of the mountain yesterday.

It holds pretty well at speed, the pop is alot of fun, for how soft it is, seems like it will handle pretty sizeable jumps.

As I took off the lip and landed in relatively steep chunder, this thing just disappeared on me and it was like I jumped off without a board. It was pretty funny. Once I got it on smooth open lines it was alot of fun in the pow, but in critical and unforgiving terrain you do not want this thing under you. The deck is pretty sick, it wasn't designed for sending off cornices into alpine conditions.

I'm riding the '53 and it is small to be sure on me, but somewhat comparable to the '54 proto I usually ride.

Very very fun around the mountain, you just want another stick when there is more then 4 inches of snow or the bottom is soft (railing a turn on hardpack, the camber is super lively and fun, but if the snow under the snow is nice and soft, expect the flex to bite dig and fold, ride accordingly).

This board is also significantly NOT damp for an NS or my old knees, but I think thats a good thing too, especially for what the deck is aiming. Its also noticeably lightweight.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Well, broke my helmet and damn near knocked myself out on this thing today. Totally my fault, nothing on the board. Being an idiot on hard packed groomers and karma power bombed my ass off of a roller for blowing off responsibilities to go ride.
Good you wore a helmet.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Now we have all the puzzle pieces to fix the current proto, return it to its glory days reborn, with balls and mindblowing go everywhere style. (instead of an expensive park board, see my other posts on the subject, I do like my board, more every day, but still, it could be a little gnarlier without being a plank['14 proto]).

Didn't they beef it up this year and make it more aggressive (I may be wrong in that)?

·
Registered
132 Posts
expect the flex to bite dig and fold, ride accordingly.

This!

I have folded the nose and gone over the handlebars a couple of times on side hits, just takes a bit of getting used to coming from a Ripsaw.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the thing, but I am 205lbs. Glad I have my Heritage as a backup for charge days in the ungroomed steeps.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Didn't they beef it up this year and make it more aggressive (I may be wrong in that)?

afaik there are only 2 proto iterations. the original which was produced for 2 years, and the current one.

I'd like it beefier.

·
Registered
320 Posts
it's amazing how many 'slangers i'm seeing lately, ....men, women, teenagers and children are all up in this thing. after riding one myself i must have one as well.

i hope they make one in 167 w/ 30cm waist next year, freealzhahahahahalololhahaha

·
Registered
65 Posts
I see a lot of these things lately too. It looks like something I'd like to add to my quiver for carving groomers and buttering. Been on a Bataleon Boss 56W last 2 seasons, it's fairly stiff and springy and takes some effort to get it up on the nose/tail and I find the sweet spot for it is pretty damn small. Never been on a soft noodle type deck before (but ridden plenty of CRC boards) and curious to try this based on the reviews. Gave up the park, too old and too injury prone, just looking for a deck that can carve as well as my Bataleon Boss at least, sidehits, and is forgiving while screwing around with flat ground spin tricks.

My question is this: Do Never Summer boards go on sale March/April like the rest of the gear or do they stay in the same standard price range until they sell out? I have never shopped for a Never Summer board before.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can sometimes find NS boards on sale at the end of the season, but don't expect to see them getting blown out at 40-50% off. You might save 10%, 20% at most and if they get to 20% the sizes will probably be limited.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Ex demo can be a good option. I just picked up a 156 for $350NZD ($230USD), they retail for $999 here. Has one very shallow core gouge that's been filled with Ptex, otherwise I believe the guy when he said it went out 6 times, looks mint. I wouldn't have even bothered filling it myself. Should be fun when the season hits to get my noodle on.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts