Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocker & Camber snowboard patent goes to NS! | Never Summer Industries
Never Summer is happy to announce that the Rocker & Camber design we introduced to the snowboard industry (R.C. Technology) is now a patented design (US Patent No. 7798514). We are extremely proud of our engineering team for pioneering this unique board geometry and incorporating it into the world of high performance snowboards. Truly setting Never Summer apart, we are once again excited to be a part of this revolutionary time in snowboarding. Thanks to all who have supported NS, older die-hard fans and new ones!
Great to hear these guys are getting the recognition they deserve as the innovators of the design. What does this mean for other companies that have started using similar tech?

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
It honestly doesn't mean a whole lot. All another company would have to do is show that their tech is slightly different. It's also up to NS to defend the patent. The patent simply gives them legal exclusivity, it's still up to NS to find infringements and prove it. Doing so is extremely time consuming and expensive. The biggest thing it will do is keep other companies from referring to their tech as rocker and camber or R.C.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
That if its not exactly the same nothing happens... Basically I don't think lib or Burton or anyone using rock/cam is going to get in trouble.

But it is good for NS. Now people can know that it was NS that "started" the hybrid design.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
United States Patent: 7798514

At least one embodiment of the inventive technology relates to a snowboard having a lower surface that does not at any point along at least one specified portion thereof contact a horizontal surface underlying the snowboard when the snowboard is unweighted. Such portion(s) may be defined, at least in part, by one or more cambers. A rocker may be used to impart additional board performance benefits to a rider. Other embodiments may relate more specifically to the positioning of cambers relative to mount regions.
Seems like it covers just about any design with rocker and camber. But it's up to NS to pursue which seems like a big hassle.

·
2,316 Posts
Should be interesting to see if NS goes off like Libtech and Stepchild have. Then again it's kind of the American high quality hand-made exclusiveness that makes their boards special. One thing is for sure, they have no problem selling them, NS boards must have the lowest depreciation value.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It does seem pretty all inclusive to any kind of reverse camber. It specifically addresses Banana Tech (curved upwards), Burton V (v-shape), Capita Flatkick (flat section)...LOL Bataleon TBT might be free of this, not sure.

NS could be become the next bully in the block, next to Burton, of course.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I don't know. I find it hard to believe that even if NS brings the heat that anyone will fall. You can't patent something you don't use. Burton throws another rocker section outside the camber. NS doesn't. I can see Lib getting out of it cause they start their camber under the binding insert where NS starts it just outside. From what I remember, Rome is the same as Lib making them possibly safe.

All in all, I don't think NS did this to take over the hybrid market. They did so in order to claim bragging rights for it. If they did take over, I think they would loose some of their loyal followers. Half the appeal of NS is that they are that smaller company fighting the bigger ones. What would happen to them if they became that big company?

But in the end this is all speculation, none of us are NS and none of us know what they're going to do.

·
Registered
647 Posts
You are old school if you remember when Burton tried to patent the snowboard and Lib Tech put out bumper stickers that said Boycott Burton because you can't patent fun.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
NS can sell patents to other companies just like Lib Tech has with Mag Traction

·
Registered
12,290 Posts
From my understanding of it and I'm sure Vince will get on here. They did it as more of a way to protect themselves from some other company that had lawyers flexing their muscle at them. They just wanted to make sure it was protected so they could keep doing what they're doing and if a company wanted to use it they could. But I'll let Vince be the final authority on that.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
From my understanding of it and I'm sure Vince will get on here. They did it as more of a way to protect themselves from some other company that had lawyers flexing their muscle at them. They just wanted to make sure it was protected so they could keep doing what they're doing and if a company wanted to use it they could. But I'll let Vince be the final authority on that.
That probably makes the most sense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a bit confused by all this. I work at a shop that has been selling lib for a long time now, and have been selling skate bananas since early 2007.
Some of the yellow bananas and all of the trs bananas had rocker between the bindings and a little camber on the ends since the day. I think somebody forgot to look closely at the first lib bananas. Those guys at lib are usually full of surprises.

So how can NS have a patent on something lib had on their boards in our shop from 2007. I still have my board here and am eyeing down the double camber from 2007.

I guess I don't how patents work. Can anybody out there explain how if lib invented it in 2007, somebody else can get a patent on lib's invention.:dunno:

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm a bit confused by all this. I work at a shop that has been selling lib for a long time now, and have been selling skate bananas since early 2007.
Some of the yellow bananas and all of the trs bananas had rocker between the bindings and a little camber on the ends since the day. I think somebody forgot to look closely at the first lib bananas. Those guys at lib are usually full of surprises.

So how can NS have a patent on something lib had on their boards in our shop from 2007. I still have my board here and am eyeing down the double camber from 2007.

I guess I don't how patents work. Can anybody out there explain how if lib invented it in 2007, somebody else can get a patent on lib's invention.:dunno:

Whoa whoa whoaaaaa!
Since this is your first post I will advise you not to talk about this forum's Jesus (Never Summer) like that... :laugh:

Lib Tech was the first company to put t-nuts in snowboards, so bow down all you other companies! Patent this! :cheeky4:

·
Registered
12,290 Posts

How come your email address for this profile is _______? That you mike?

*edit, the user did not have this email on their public profile. kc*

1 - 20 of 148 Posts