Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im debating between these two boards i ride park 95 percent of the time i hit a lot of kickers and ride a lot of boxes and rails i need help on making the decision between the two or let me know of any other boards around the 400-600 dollar price range i should take a look at. also i wear size 11 boot

·
Registered
257 Posts
Im debating between these two boards i ride park 95 percent of the time i hit a lot of kickers and ride a lot of boxes and rails i need help on making the decision between the two or let me know of any other boards around the 400-600 dollar price range i should take a look at.
Why get a Proto if you mostly ride park? I'd say you should be looking into the Evo for that kind of money and intent.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
You're comparing two very different boards dude, what kind of debating have you been doing? And a size 11 foot and what is very likely a good duck stance for park, you could rock a wide board, but you definitely don't need one.

You can't go wrong with the Rook.

·
Registered
884 Posts
the never summer revolver is the wide version of the evo. But the Rook is a great board too

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
The Proto is overpriced and overhyped mediocrity.

The Rook is definitely a great option. Others to look into: Flow Era, Signal Freedom Machine, Burton Process Camber or Parkitect, Rossi Trickstick, Echelon Orion, Salomon Villain or Sabotage, or a Yes Jackpot.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
It's pretty obvious on here that Nivek is butt hurt over something involving NS.

I wouldn't worry about it Decade. There are better boards out there, but the proto is a great board. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who's ridden one who shares the same opinion as Nivek in that it's mediocre.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It's pretty obvious on here that Nivek is butt hurt over something involving NS.

I wouldn't worry about it Decade. There are better boards out there, but the proto is a great board. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who's ridden one who shares the same opinion as Nivek.
Hahah thanks... i'm sure it'll be fine. Whats the better boards in your opinion? Just curious

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I knew that question would be next.

First board that comes to mind would the The Greats.

People will disagree, people will agree. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I actually agree with Nivek. I've ridden a lot of boards, and agree with his assessment. It's a solid board, that does everything good, nothing great. For that investment, I'd want a board that does something off the charts. There are better boards out there. Yes makes a couple of them. And you can get last years model for 40% off.

·
Registered
841 Posts
K2 Happy Hour as well. Haven't ridden the lifted profile yet, but it was a sick board before. Pretty damp, much more responsive than the Proto, and more pop. Can only imagine the lifted profile has made it even better.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
K2 Happy Hour as well. Haven't ridden the lifted profile yet, but it was a sick board before. Pretty damp, much more responsive than the Proto, and more pop. Can only imagine the lifted profile has made it even better.
It's down to the HH and Proto HD for me this year for my all mountain deck. I do want to try some higher speed butters this year. Does the pointy noise ever catch when spinning around? I think everything about the HH this year seems pretty slick. That's probably my only remaining concern right now. Wondering if blunted edges would be better.

The investment isn't a big factor for me. What's $100-200 over 1-2 years. If it's a board I want, I don't care if it costs $300 (like the Rossignol Rocknrolla which I also want ...) or $600.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Eveyone here knows my history with Union. Through all that I never once developed a strong dislike for the brand itself, just some of the poeple and product. So all I'll say is it should say something about NS as a brand that I've taken the stance I have and didnt even do so with Union.

But, more than anything its just the Proto. Seeing it get recommended to every single person that isn't looking for a straight freeride or powder board is getting old. And its more often by people that own one and have only ever ridden 3 other boards in their life.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
It's down to the HH and Proto HD for me this year for my all mountain deck. I do want to try some higher speed butters this year. Does the pointy noise ever catch when spinning around? I think everything about the HH this year seems pretty slick. That's probably my only remaining concern right now. Wondering if blunted edges would be better.

The investment isn't a big factor for me. What's $100-200 over 1-2 years. If it's a board I want, I don't care if it costs $300 (like the Rossignol Rocknrolla which I also want ...) or $600.
In all honesty putting my feelings about the brand aside, the HH just rode better. More energy, more snap, better sidecut, more fun in pow. In semi soft semi dense weird in between snow in a butter you might hook the tip a bit, like anything it'll take some getting used to but not something I'd let sway your decision.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts