Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, a local outlet here in NZ is selling Never Summer boards (finally!). With the season about to start down here I am tempted to take the punt and splash out on the Proto HD.

I am 5'10, 175lbs. I rock a size 12 boot but at the moment I'm wearing the Burton Rulers which are pretty low profile. Normally ride +15/-9. Ideally I'd go for something slightly more playful than my current board (Ride Machete 157W).

Planning to go in and check it out tomorrow but the challenge might be sizing. Looks like they have the 152, 154, 157 and 160, along with the 158W and the 160W. I had kinda figured the 155W would be the sweet spot for me, but didn't sound like they had any of those.

So I'm trying to figure out if I could get away with the 157? Thoughts?

FYI waist width is listed at 253mm on the 157.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the 2011 proto in 157. I am a size 10uk(11 us). I would get the very smallest drag on both toe and heel edge when deep carving.

Looks like you're a size larger but with the low profile rulers you might be ok 157. If you're going to the shop bring your boots and see how much over hang you get... I sometimes wish I went for the 158w when I can feel myself dragging, however most of the time it was fine so I'm unsure if it would really make any noticeable difference at all.

Ten

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have almost the exact same stats as you... even the same boots (but 11.5). Maybe I'm closer to the 180lb side of things, but that's besides the point lol. I have the 2011-2012 155W Proto CTX and if I ever chose to get a new Proto in the future I'd definitely go for the 157 next time around. Thing is the 155W was the only one available when I got it. There's absolutely no problem with the wide, but absolutely nothing wrong with the regular width based on from what I can tell. The regular width board would make edge to edge transition slightly quicker (not terribly different), and the little length increase would better fit me as I stick more to the all-mountain style of the riding but still hit the park here and there. I'd say If you have free choice without stock issues go 157, but 155W isn't a bad choice at all.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm planning on taking my boots and even maybe bindings in to see how it might fit in terms of drag.

I tend not to deep carve a lot so a fractional amount of drag there is probably not going to be a problem.

Anyway seems like it's worth at least checking out the 157. The guy I spoke to seemed pretty switched on and not just trying to sell me shit for the hell of it, and he's in there tomorrow too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went with the 157 in the end. Looked like it should be OK for drag when we put the bindings and boots on it, although the only way to know for sure will be when I actually ride it.

The 158W looked too big anyways particularly for what I want it for, so I'll take that chance.

Awesome looking board, can't wait to ride it. Most of the mountains here start opening in the next couple weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts