Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im agonizing over what board to buy. I guess I'm a advanced-beginner / low-intermediate rider.. Have been snowboarding for a long time but I live in the southeast so only get like one or two trips in a year.. will typically take the kids here on the east coast and take a guys trip out west once a year. With that said, im not all that advanced considering I started snowboarding about 15 years ago. I don't do much park.. more just all mountain, groomers, trees, side jumps that sort of thing. I still get a little squirrely on really steep black terrain. I've been riding an Arbor Element Black 158 midwide (rocker) for the past 3 years which really helped me advance. Love the board and how easily the rocker profile initiates turns but looking for something a little quicker and more advanced.

I'm stuck between the Never Summer Snowtrooper and the NS Proto Synthesis. I know the Snowtrooper is more of a beginner to intermediate board which probably fits my ability level better and the Proto Synthesis seems to be more of an intermediate to advanced board. All the reviews I read on the Proto Synthesis is that it is an amazing board and everyone loves it. I just don't know if it is going to be too aggressive for my ability level.

Also, all the sizing charts put me in a 160x-161x board. I feel like a slightly shorter board (157x-158x) is a little easier to maneuver but that is just my assumption since I have actually never ridden a longer board. Im 6'1 185lbs with a size 11 boot.

Anyone have experience on either or both of these Never Summer boards and care to give me some advice?

·
Registered
290 Posts
You would be fine on the proto synthesis. I wouldn't consider that board to be overly aggressive and too advanced. You would also be fine on either the 157W and the 160W. You would probably be towards the top of the weight range on the 157W so it might be a little more responsive and will feel a little softer, but I don't think you will notice a huge difference between either size board. The Proto will be better for east coast conditions as it has more camber underfoot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts