Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
During my trip to the factory last week they showed me that they have a new super high end ceramic edge sharpener that puts a .5/.5 degree bevel on a deck when run through. Because of the high cost of the ceramic pads, this feature will be limited to Carbonium series decks, which will now ship with this bevel, as opposed to the traditional 0/0 that NS has long shipped.

Non-Carbonium decks will continue to ship with 0/0 bevels.

A small number of this years non-Carbonium decks were shipped with the .5/.5 bevel when the machine was new before they decided to limit the machine to Carbonium decks only.

On a related note I'm super excited to see what they will do to my decks this month, which they are repairing. My Proto has multiple core shots, 2 broken rails and apparently a slightly rotted out tail. My Evo has core shots. I got to talk to the actual repair guy about my boards on the last stop of the tour and he assured me that he was going to make them like new. Even 1more season out of my Proto would be nice. Will probably resell the Evo.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice.
did you see them pressing a special run of cambered decks for a couple of shops in bozeman/bigsky??
No I felt bad I was actually in a bit of a hurry, I had to rush cutetourgirl.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the new bevel is on all 2014 carbonium boards? I need to take a closer look at mine.
From what I understand it is really new, but I was just a touron there... If you got an early batch it is probably still 0/0.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
That ceramic edge sharpener is pretty damn amazing. Depending on how beat up your edges are, they can come out looking brand new.

·
Registered
589 Posts
From what I understand it is really new, but I was just a touron there... If you got an early batch it is probably still 0/0.
From my understanding all the production carbonium boards will have it, but all the boards pressed before they moved to the new factory, i.e. demo boards sent out for review, don't have it.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Edges like brand new? Hmmm...

I don't care about the bevel, but if they could make my Proto's edges like new again...

I always have a good time swinging by NS's factory. The shop guys are good dudes with a legit passion for the products. Those douches they have out repping at events and stuff though could use a good punch in the face.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't see how this will make a difference. Sure it's a precise measurement, but the results will be equally minute. Also, the first time you tune your board this goes out the window anyway. Sounds like hype...

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
I don't see how this will make a difference. Sure it's a precise measurement, but the results will be equally minute. Also, the first time you tune your board this goes out the window anyway. Sounds like hype...
It is. IMO, this edge sharpener has far more implications on the repair/maintenance side than it does on the manufacturing side.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
May be it is a move by NS to introduce some more precision into their processes and actually build most decks close to spec? Only the Nidecker factory seems to have worse manufacturing variances - although this year the Mervin products are all over the place too.

·
Registered
12,613 Posts
May be it is a move by NS to introduce some more precision into their processes and actually build most decks close to spec? Only the Nidecker factory seems to have worse manufacturing variances - although this year the Mervin products are all over the place too.
I've seen some horrible shit come out of Taiwan and China over the last few years that you look at it and go WTF. Cracking open boards this spring was hilarious when companies were touting carbon and other stuff and it just wasn't there.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Hell yeah. Small world. I'm moving to Dillon in 2 weeks. Taking a guess here; you went to App State?
Nope, but half the people from my HS who went onto college did. Precisely why I didn't. They offered me a full ride and I declined. I needed to cut loose from HS. I wouldn't have made it through college at ASU. I would've flunked out or rather simply quit going.

Hit me up when you get to Dillon. Always good to kick it with aome WNC folks.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
I've seen some horrible shit come out of Taiwan and China over the last few years that you look at it and go WTF. Cracking open boards this spring was hilarious when companies were touting carbon and other stuff and it just wasn't there.
Fair point, my comment was really more about the (supposedly) higher-end brands as opposed to the budget stuff.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts