468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Gnu rider's choice right now but it's getting pretty beat up
trying to decide to go for an SL or a proto
any suggestions?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have an 2012 sl and 2011 evo(sorta like the proto im guessing...)

I'd go with the sl if youre looking for more freeride style or if your into the park/freestyle tricks id go with the proto. Anyways that my take on it im not a board expert though.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
The SL still does plenty of things better than the proto. It certainly isn't the old proto. They certainly aren't interchangeable for the same riding style.
The only reason they aren't interchangeable is that the SL is more limited. With the new ProtoHD, your looking at even more advancements. I didn't mispeak, the Proto dominates. What's the point of an "almost" twin? I'm not going to sit here and try to own your mind or something but I'll stand by what I said and agree to disagree.

Just because you assert your opinions doesn't make them factual statements.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
The SL could be a great board if it wasn't for the significant set back stance. For a freestyle board and inch is way too much. It doesn't ride well switch and I hate spinning on a directional board.

The Proto HD does everything better IMO. Unless you prefer a directional board.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The SL is a little damper and floats a little better. The Proto spins a little better and rides switch a little better. There's not much in it. To say the SL is obsolete is a little silly though.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
The SL is a little damper and floats a little better. The Proto spins a little better and rides switch a little better. There's not much in it. To say the SL is obsolete is a little silly though.
I don't know if you've been on the Proto HD, but I found it to be just as damp as the SL with roughly the same flex and a little more pop.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
The SL could be a great board if it wasn't for the significant set back stance. For a freestyle board and inch is way too much. It doesn't ride well switch and I hate spinning on a directional board.

The Proto HD does everything better IMO. Unless you prefer a directional board.
An inch of setback is considerable. Of course, the SL only has 0.5" or 0.75" of setback - unless you get one where they drilled the inserts in the wrong spot...

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
An inch of setback is considerable. Of course, the SL only has 0.5" or 0.75" of setback - unless you get one where they drilled the inserts in the wrong spot...
I'll have to measure it when I get home. My Misfit is set back 1cm and I don't notice it. It looks and feels like a true twin. The setback on the SL is noticeable in every aspect.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I don't know if you've been on the Proto HD, but I found it to be just as damp as the SL with roughly the same flex and a little more pop.
Ah. No, just the old one. Yeah now I remember reading what the HD stands for.... Hillbilly Damping or some such. Dampness where you cotton pickin need it.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The only reason they aren't interchangeable is that the SL is more limited. With the new ProtoHD, your looking at even more advancements. I didn't mispeak, the Proto dominates. What's the point of an "almost" twin? I'm not going to sit here and try to own your mind or something but I'll stand by what I said and agree to disagree.

Just because you assert your opinions doesn't make them factual statements.
You know what really made the SL obsolete? The cobra. Not everyone wants a true twin with a lack of dampening and a deep sidecut in their quiver. Also have you ridden an HD or the new SL? Substantial changes have been made to both. While after riding the HD I would say it has much more substantial overlap with the old SL, I haven't ridden the new SL to say whether it is still different enough. Lots of people still like to ride directional "almost" twins because they still ride switch very well and do other things that a true twin just doesn't excel at.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The SL has 0.75" material setback(longer nose) but only 0.5" sidecut setback. Straight from Vince, I asked him this awhile back. The inserts are set back a full inch though on mine so you'll have to be careful and actually measure the nose and tail distances to get the proper setback stance

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
The SL has 0.75" material setback(longer nose) but only 0.5" sidecut setback. Straight from Vince, I asked him this awhile back.
Correct. I could have been a little clearer: I meant the SL only has 0.5" or 0.75" of setback depending on how you measure it.

The inserts are set back a full inch though on mine so you'll have to be careful and actually measure the nose and tail distances to get the proper setback stance
Yes. There were also a couple of people on this forum who had Protos with the inserts not centered. Wonder whether those were meant as upgraded SLs [/sarcasm]
I suspect there are plenty of other boards with the inserts in the wrong places, but for decks with setback it is probably harder for people to check/confirm - especially wit NS who are a bit coy on publishing (intended) setback numbers.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Can anyone explain how the 2014 SL differs from the 2013 SL? I thought there wasn't any difference?
13 and 14 are the same, but 13 is different than 09-12, sorry I wasn't clearer. A lot of people haven't ridden the 13 though because it is no longer hyped like it once was.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about if we throw the raptor nito the mix aswell for a pure free rider, no park.
Any one for it? Or is it too stiff?

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Just measured the SL. I've got 18 1/2" for the nose and 16 7/8" for the tail, both measured to the first set of inserts. So it looks like it's roughly .75" set back.

I'm not a fan of directional setbacks. It's fun to bomb on but if you're into any type of freestyle, the Proto beats it hands down.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If you must have a little setback just take 5 mins to set your bindings back on the proto, bingo a little extra float and weight over the tail for carving (which you can do with fore aft movement anyway for carving).

The only reason I can see to get the SL is to save a little cash which is a perfectly valid reason.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts