Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vince, the Chairman, sent me their new model in a 156 (the size I would buy) to try out for a couple months so I can let you all know what I think before returning it. Today I had work mercifully fall through, grabbed lunch and headed up for the last couple hours of the day on hardpack.

My baseline: I've ridden a 154 Proto exclusively in all conditions including deep ca ca for the last 3 years.

The basics.

Long nose, short tail, 1.5" setback at the reference points (where I always mount).

CrC, with Ripsaw camber.

Mid flex. Maybe a tad stiffer than my 154 Proto but they could easily share a flex profile, the difference being 2cm and Ripsaw camber. Its shaped like a Cobra but it has significantly more balls, hard to tell if this is due to the camber or perhaps a different core/carbon layups. I suspect both.

When asked earlier if this was the replacement to the Heritage, I think the answer is that if we are comparing apples to apples, the Ripsaw replaces the Heritage and rightly so. The Heritage has always been described as a go anywhere directional twin that will run over a moose. The Ripsaw from others' descriptions matches this. They basically took new ideas, removed the setback, voila, Ripsaw, same niche.

So I will stick with my original sentiment that this is a replacement to the Cobra, but I'm really not privvy to the intentions of the dudes (it looks like next year they will coexist) It seems to me the same board with the new camber. I only put a couple laps on a Cobra (didn't feel much either way about it) the year before last so really going off memory here.

The West is much more responsive than the Cobra was and the Ripsaw camber gives a sense of excitement. I think this new camber profile may really shut up people who felt NS lacked liveliness. Even compared to last years Proto, while I feel these boards share weight and flex, the Proto suddenly feels a bit mushy, while the West, a razorblade. Conditions were fast today. Plenty of available flex to send ollies with whatever effort your ability allows. I would not compare this flex whatsoever to the Funslinger. It is full all mountain, I'm just trying to pinpoint the liveliness, its a new thing in these NS's.

It was one afternoon on hardpack, I have a trip to Monarch and a cat booked in a couple weeks so as the weather cycles I will come back to update how this thing does in different conditions.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Cool, looking forward to hearing more of your experience on this. Your comments about the flex are not quite what I was expecting, as I had Heritage replacement in my head. I totally agree about the Ripsaw being a logical Heritage replacement, as they do ride similar for me. My curiosity is really piqued about the West.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I am hoping this is the replacement for the cobra cause all the rocker was holding the board back IMO. It just needed that extra camber to bring the board to the next level. It was like when they made the snow trooper with the longer zones to replace the SL. It went from great board to now I am on meth when you want to pop, at least for me it did. I am sad the heritage is going away but I like the way the line is heading.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
shit mine must be in the mail still?:dry:

You know how to snowboard?

No way crazy, I did not know that. haha

What the fuck

TT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sa-weet, so this is basically a Carbonium series Cobra with Ripsaw's extended camber profile? This definitely seems like my next board...

I know it's more directional, but did you try to ride switch with it? What about the terrain park?

Best, Brett

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sa-weet, so this is basically a Carbonium series Cobra with Ripsaw's extended camber profile? This definitely seems like my next board...

I know it's more directional, but did you try to ride switch with it? What about the terrain park?

Best, Brett
-I don't ride park anymore

-Ill ride switch on my proto

-It has plenty of flex to easily butter if you know how, I did do some low speed ones and will throw down some pow butters when given the chance.

*One thing that I did not pay attention to, which I thought of but forgot, was how the nose responded to speed on the hardpack. I was hauling ass on afternoon spring groomer conditions. Due to the the length and flex I expected some chatter up there, but did not notice. It really is not a noodle, but it is equally not a plank. The extra camber angles diving toward the front contact point probably helps with nose flap.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Ah nice, so the West is a bit stiffer and less rocker... that's exactly what i would change about the Cobra.

I love the shape. But it wants to be too middle ground and accessible for the terrain it's intended for.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So if Snowtrooper is softer than Cobra, then West is Cobra level or stiffer?
I've had chance to spend 5 days with Endeavor Live which is very popy middle of the road flex kind of a board so I hope that Snowtrooper is something like that.

Btw. do you know what has changed between 14/15 and 15/16 Snowtrooper?

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I've had chance to spend 5 days with Endeavor Live which is very popy middle of the road flex kind of a board so I hope that Snowtrooper is something like that.

hmmm I fixed my post. it seemd as if I was answering to your question?

Anyways...... I actually have a 2014 live.
And have seen the 2015 a bit; the 2015 Live is about similar flex to the 2014 Cobra. The Cobra's tail feels a bit stiffer, but only because it's shorter. Also it seems the West is a bit stiffer than Cobra (according to this review).

I have the 2014 Live and prefer it 100% over the Cobra. The 2014 Live is a bit stiffer than the 2015 Live. One thing I really like about the Cobra is how it handles turns. Specially in the middle and at the end of turns.... really nice. But the 2014 live out-floats it, feels more stable, has a much stronger base and is just a better board all around. The Cobra is quicker edge to edge. So this West is something i would definitely want to try.

The thing is I wouldn't make the Cobra any stiffer though, because of all that rocker... so it seems what they did with the West (less rocker) is a cool thing.

BTW i'm comparing 159 Live vs 158 Cobra both 2014 (but Cobra has blunt tips so that makes em pretty much the same)

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Sorry if I was not clear that I have barely ridden a Cobra and it was 2 years ago. They really look like the same shape though.

The main point is that the premium all mountain freestyle offerings (Cobra, Proto) were soft and mushy, or getting that way. My first Proto didn't seem so, but the new one yes, as well as the Cobra. Certainly when comparing the West. Its not stiff. I believe most of the change in sensation has to do with the new Camber profiles than any other changes in terms of stiffness. (that doesn't mean there aren't new/different carbon layups, or that the core isnt' entirely new)

This is born from the boards I have mentioned and the Ripsaw.

From what I understand the Snowtrooper is the replacement to the SL? I have never ridden either. Expect all mountain flex, no carbonium, no ripsaw camber, much closer to twin, the ~100$ of tech *value.

This West has no comparison. The most important part of any of these comparisons is that they fill similar niches. No NS has ever ridden like this. I'm not gushing, its different. Like running barefoot.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Oh yeah, well, I'm gonna get a Chair man & It's gonna have better black ops stickers.

TT

·
Registered
59 Posts

Shit. I just bought a 14/15 snowtrooper and they are making changes already for 15/16?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Shit. I just bought a 14/15 snowtrooper and they are making changes already for 15/16?
Just adding a new model. The Snowtrooper will be un-changed for 15/16. We worked hard on that board and felt we hit the nail on the head. It did well and most of our team, employees are riding and loving the Snowtrooper. The West is basically a Snowtrooper with a bit more edgy, aggressive feel and pop of our enhanced camber Ripsaw profile. Whereas the Snowtooper has the classic surfy feel of our Rocker Camber profile. Same shape, set back, damping system and similar flex (the West inherently feels a bit stiffer because of the profile's cambered areas running underfoot).

1 - 20 of 156 Posts