Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
i am not a snowboard expert too!
i am 37 years old , i ride for 17 years, i ride the same days like you per season , and i have only one board to do it all. powder , piste , ice like you .... that's why i need your review too ;) ...

i am not an expert . i think the chairman is for the expert with 70-100 days per season with the legs of steel
the west is more versatile for most of the conditions i ride .... it's the wise choose i think
I don't know. I am several years older than you and don't get anywhere near 70 days a season (even when adding in splitboard days) and would get the Chairman X if I was in the market for a new board (which I would be if $$ were no issue).

I would definitely say I don't have legs of steel. But, it sounds like you are leaning towards the West. It could be a great choice if you want that softer flex. I rode it only once (it was actually the split version) and it did have that softer feel people describe as "playful". I was able to flex it at the waist and kind of choose the angle I wanted to place the tail at when doing -especially- heelside turns. It was kind of a unique feeling.

I have some video of riding the Chairman X on Youtube, which may, or may not, be useful.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I don't know. I am several years older than you and don't get anywhere near 70 days a season (even when adding in splitboard days) and would get the Chairman X if I was in the market for a new board (which I would be if $$ were no issue).

I would definitely say I don't have legs of steel. But, it sounds like you are leaning towards the West. It could be a great choice if you want that softer flex. I rode it only once (it was actually the split version) and it did have that softer feel people describe as "playful". I was able to flex it at the waist and kind of choose the angle I wanted to place the tail at when doing -especially- heelside turns. It was kind of a unique feeling.

I have some video of riding the Chairman X on Youtube, which may, or may not, be useful.

i have seen many times your two videos :)

the flex of the waist and place the tail where you want it is the same in the SL. and i enjoy it a lot . that moment you think that you have the upper hand and you squeeze what the board has to give you

can you do the same with the chairman (with more power of course ) or it is not doable ? it's a way to understand the difference in flex

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
Too much fear here. I don't think the Chairman would be too much board for you. You'd get used to it and adapt.

I really think it's as simple as @snowklinger said. Do you want a really stiff board or do you want a softer board? The West is no noodle by any means, it has a very nice and very versatile all-mountain flex. There's really nothing a mountain offers that you can't do well on that board.

If you worried about The Chairman being too stiff for you liking, just go with The West. I think you'd be very happy with it and definitely don't worry about powder performance. It rides very well in powder. I haven't ridden the new iteration of The Chairman but I hands down prefer The West in powder over the previous version of The Chairman.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Too much fear here. I don't think the Chairman would be too much board for you. You'd get used to it and adapt.

I really think it's as simple as @snowklinger said. Do you want a really stiff board or do you want a softer board? The West is no noodle by any means, it has a very nice and very versatile all-mountain flex. There's really nothing a mountain offers that you can't do well on that board.

If you worried about The Chairman being too stiff for you liking, just go with The West. I think you'd be very happy with it and definitely don't worry about powder performance. It rides very well in powder. I haven't ridden the new iteration of The Chairman but I hands down prefer The West in powder over the previous version of The Chairman.

after all these posts i totally agree with you . i learn a lot about the chairman and the west . :)
the bottom line is what you write

i will get used to chairman and i will not have problem with its stiffness . maybe it will help me step up a little bit

i will enjoy the west a lot and it will meet my expectations of floating and carving!

it is just a matter of my personal preference in stiffness . i tend more to the west because of its familiar flex. . :)

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
i have seen many times your two videos :)

the flex of the waist and place the tail where you want it is the same in the SL. and i enjoy it a lot . that moment you think that you have the upper hand and you squeeze what the board has to give you

can you do the same with the chairman (with more power of course ) or it is not doable ? it's a way to understand the difference in flex
Thanks..

That whole flexing at the waist thing on the Chairman- I've never tried it. The stiffness of the board always kept me in a position where I never naturally would even think to do it. On the West, the board kind of asked me to do it, if that makes sense...

I would not let that hold you up, though. I echo what others have said about both of these boards. Flexing it at the waist was a novel thing to do and fun to notice and play around with, but it wasn't necessary. I think that I would have fun on either board if I owned them. The West for slower speed stuff, which can be very practical in many situations.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Thanks..

That whole flexing at the waist thing on the Chairman- I've never tried it. The stiffness of the board always kept me in a position where I never naturally would even think to do it. On the West, the board kind of asked me to do it, if that makes sense...

I would not let that hold you up, though. I echo what others have said about both of these boards. Flexing it at the waist was a novel thing to do and fun to notice and play around with, but it wasn't necessary. I think that I would have fun on either board if I owned them. The West for slower speed stuff, which can be very practical in many situations.

it makes sense and i understand that feeling that you describe

thank you for your video review and for your posts. it was very helpfull
:wink:

i will go for the west 160x . i am thinking it will help me be more aggressive on edge than the SL and in 3-4 years (if i want more of a board) i should go for the chairman

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Still too wide. 162 would be a better choice.
thanks @SGboarder

how does the sidecut of 160x (vario 818) compare to 162 (vario 847)?

the wide model has shorter sidecut making more maneuverable. but it is still a wide board and it will be a little slower edge to edge

on the other hand ... a longet sidecut will help me with these long turn on groomers.... :confused:
i have never ride a wide board.... :| is it so much slower edge to edge?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
...i have never ride a wide board.... :| is it so much slower edge to edge?
This is the question of the hour.

There definitely is some difference.
How much? probably depends on the rider and snow conditions.
Is it a problem? see above
Is it worth it? see above.

Ideal thing to do? Ride normal and wide boards on the same day to see if it is worth it to you. Of course, availability of demos is key for this, but that would be the ideal.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Haven't read the whole thread but from what I understand...

Your first board was the Palmer & you thought it was too stiff and aggressive to improve on?

Then you got the sl and loved it & improved a lot?

Is all that correct?
If so?

Have you thought about trying your old Palmer now?

It may have been too aggressive & stiff before, but it sounds like now it would fit you pretty good.

Palmer's are kick ass boards.

Before you go drop half a grand on a new stick, I think you should try that Palmer again.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

You might be able to buy a seasons pass for your local hill instead of buying a new board?

That would be a pretty sweet bonus don't ya think?

My 2¢

TT

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Haven't read the whole thread but from what I understand...

Your first board was the Palmer & you thought it was too stiff and aggressive to improve on?

Then you got the sl and loved it & improved a lot?

Is all that correct?

If so?

Have you thought about trying your old Palmer now?

It may have been too aggressive & stiff before, but it sounds like now it would fit you pretty good.

Palmer's are kick ass boards.

Before you go drop half a grand on a new stick, I think you should try that Palmer again.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

You might be able to buy a seasons pass for your local hill instead of buying a new board?

That would be a pretty sweet bonus don't ya think?

My 2¢

TT

you understand correct

BUT

my old camber board is not available

when i stop riding with this board the board i give it away for free to a young friend who was starting snowboarding then

·
Registered
586 Posts
hi Buggravy

so you had the SL for years and then you moved to the chairman ? does the chairman is your main board for all the days? when -for example- there is fog and the snow is messy do you use the chairman or do you have a board more friendly when the conditions are not ideal? how is the chairman in these conditions? when you want to just cruise down the piste is the chairman ok or you have to be on alert not to make a mistake? can you skid turns with chairman?

the flex of the west is similar to the SL according to neversummer. but the chairman is waaaay stiffer. 87 for the chairman 37 for the west.
the flex of the ripsaw (which they say that is an aggressive board) is 62 !! is a lot less than the chairman.
i think too, that the RC tech even in the more aggressive ripsaw profile is still edge catch free. but the stiffness of the board i am afraid that will be harsh for the legs in the end of the day... what do you think?
I don't mean this dismissively, but you're definitely overthinking it with the number ratings. SL was my main board for several years, but after that I always had multiple boards, and switched things up frequently. That said, I did spend most of one season on a Chairman, and most of a different season on a West. The West is a fantastic do-it-all kind of board. The Chairman is less versatile, but I liked it more because it's so good at what it's good at. I also rode the Chairman in a couple different sizes (a 157 and a 160 - I weigh 160lbs). The 57 was actually a pretty versatile board for me, and that's the one I spent most of my time on. The 160 was less versatile, but I ended up preferring it because I had other less aggressive boards for more relaxed riding. Bottom line is pretty much what others have already said - you just have to figure out what your preference is. I will say I've never ridden a board that I like more in Spring conditions than the Chairman.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Hey, where do you ride do you have big , long tracks or morr like small resorts? I'm asking because i'm almost in the same situation. I ride a '12 163cm ns legacy it's a midwide 269 waist width) but i wear 12.5 boots. I am looking for a new board even if i can do anything with my board. I was looking into bigger stiffer boards but i dont preety much ride really big resorts. I think it would be too much. And as much as a wide board , i could go couple cm down but not too much. The boards im looking are more like salomon super eight, rome sawtooth(maybe a little to much), and ride berzeker wide version if i remember corectly , found some good deals on some sites in europe. Yes pyl and some burton, but not very good prices or hard to find....and sizes..
So i wouldnt go for much stiffer rides unless riding big resorts with lot of terrain, on short tracks going fast and aggressive i think becomes boring at some point.
My board doesnt feel very fast edge to edge, a little hard work when in trees or moguls, i remember how easy were the c under turns on my old regular, board , i cant do them on this one, not that i try too much:)
I dont know if i helped you a little or i would get some help just hope for the both ways

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Hey, where do you ride do you have big , long tracks or a small resorts? I'm asking because i'm almost in the same situation. I ride a '12 ns legacy it's a midwide 269 waist width) but i wear 12.5 boots. I am looking for a new board even i can go

hi

the resorts near my home are small (max 500 meters vertical) . one of them have wide pistes with long lines but the other one has narrow pistes but a lot off piste. A LOT .
except that , every year for the last 9 years i ride , at austria . hochfugen for the last 2 years . i have been to ischgl , st anton , lech once in france (valdisere-saint foy tarentaise) .

but in every resort that i ride , small or bigger , i needed more edge control . the sl likes to skid turns and has more playful feeling

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
hello again!

i finally got some time (2 days) on the mountain to try the new neversummer west i bought.
i had with me my old neversummer SL board which i gave it to my brother so that we can change in the middle of the day to compare.
in the first run i use the west and i didnt see an obvious difference in compare to the Neversummer SL . :O
after a few runs i changed boards with my brother and did some runs with my old SL to see if there is actually a difference. the SL is mellower than the west and it keeps skid turns . the west is sharper . i rode the west hard in high speed and i noticed that in every turn in groomers i was leaving a thin line with the west. with the same condition with the SL i left a thicker line because of the skid turns that the sl was taking(even if i had sharp the edges of the sl). so in hard snow the west was carving better and you can keep it on edge more easily. but when you slow down and you want to fool around the west will be forgiving enough !

i try powder too! it was nimble and fast edge to edge . not much faster than the sl but there is a difference. the flotation in powder was excellent too (west 162 cm).

overall i am happy with my choice even if i was waiting for a bigger difference with the new ripsaw profile. (maybe i need a camber oriented board like yes PYL or jones explorer to see a bigger difference)

the ripsaw profile in the west is forgiving when you want it and it will hold an edge pretty good even on ice. its a great choice for an intermediate rider who wants to do everything with one board with not much compromise

i really want to thank everyone who help me with my choice!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
hello again!

i finally got some time (2 days) on the mountain to try the new neversummer west i bought.
i had with me my old neversummer SL board which i gave it to my brother so that we can change in the middle of the day to compare.
in the first run i use the west and i didnt see an obvious difference in compare to the Neversummer SL . :O
after a few runs i changed boards with my brother and did some runs with my old SL to see if there is actually a difference. the SL is mellower than the west and it keeps skid turns . the west is sharper . i rode the west hard in high speed and i noticed that in every turn in groomers i was leaving a thin line with the west. with the same condition with the SL i left a thicker line because of the skid turns that the sl was taking(even if i had sharp the edges of the sl). so in hard snow the west was carving better and you can keep it on edge more easily. but when you slow down and you want to fool around the west will be forgiving enough !

i try powder too! it was nimble and fast edge to edge . not much faster than the sl but there is a difference. the flotation in powder was excellent too (west 162 cm).

overall i am happy with my choice even if i was waiting for a bigger difference with the new ripsaw profile. (maybe i need a camber oriented board like yes PYL or jones explorer to see a bigger difference)

the ripsaw profile in the west is forgiving when you want it and it will hold an edge pretty good even on ice. its a great choice for an intermediate rider who wants to do everything with one board with not much compromise

i really want to thank everyone who help me with my choice!
Yup that all sounds about right and consistent with expectations. Hope you enjoy the board.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts