Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time user of this forum but I haven't been here for 8 years and forgot my password and can't recover from an old email address I no longer use. I was schmitty34 but now I'm just a newbie with 0 posts....

I'm a very experienced rider who hasn't shopped for or research boards in ages. Life just got busy, but luckily I still ride plenty but no longer geek over snowboard gear so I feel completely out of touch with the latest and greatest.

I'm 6'4'', 210 pounds with size 12 boots. I'm an all-mountain rider that loves drops and natural jumps, and seek powder and tree lines as much as possible. I'm too old for the park now so it's all about exploring creative lines and jumping as many natural things as possible.

I've been riding a TRice 161.5 from 2008 and it's treated me very well but it's finally so beat up by rock and trees hidden beneath the powder that I need a new board. It would be easy for me to just go back to what I know and buy a lib tech that's similar to my old TRice, but I also want to explore other options that will give me a similar type of board but something new and maybe better.

I'm interested in Jones boards as well and have looked at the Flagship, Aviator and Mountain Twin.

Based on that info, I would appreciate any thoughts on boards I should check out. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Stranda snowboards makes really nice boards. If I was at your level riding I would be curious about the Stranda Descender. I've tried the Tree Surfer and the Cheater from that brand and they are very nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was in a similar boat last year and ended up with a Capita Marcury. Looked at most of the boards on your list, incl the one you ride but the 2020 model. If you ride a bit of everything, with the park being a once in a while or never type of thing, this is highly recommended. it will do park stuff, but its at its best when you're ripping the whole mountain, groomed, ice, pow..... I have tried some of a little bit everything ( the last season being what it was here in Europe) and I have been really happy with it.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Realistically, how often do you ride switch, or spin off things and land/take off switch? Where do you ride?

Reactions: WigMar

·
Registered
228 Posts
The fact you want an All mountain PLUS POW in one board, I really like the 2021 Jones line. The Mountain twin looks awesome with some 3d base for pow , if you want a more directional board they have other options. I think you were on the right track. The Mercury is also a fantastic choice just not sure about POW

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
All Mountain and pow: Rome Ravine Select, Arbor Clovis, Lib EJack, Niche Story or Maelstrom, or a K2 Alchemist.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When you say "creative lines" I think of Korua Shapes. They have a few boards that would fit, especially for larger feet. Otto, Trannyfinder or Pencil would all work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you don’t ride switch that much, a Burton Deep Thinker could be a fun one ! The Jones Stratos too. If you ride switch often, you can’t really go wrong with a Flagship ! Check out LibTech boards like the Litigator (very serious board) and the T.Rice Climax.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies and thoughts guys...definitely a few boards that I've never even heard of to checkout 😁

I'll answer/clarify some of the questions from the thread:
  • I don't ride switch very much anymore. I'm old for a boarder (41) so I stick to what I'm best at these days. My T-Rice is a twin so that feels normal to me, but a directional or directional twin is probably best.
  • Where do I ride? I ride mostly in Washington State, and hit Whistler or Bachelor one weekend per year, and don't do park anymore. I seek off piste and powder whenever possible, and like steeps, drops, tree lines, etc. I love jumping, but it's almost all natural jumps and pretty much straight airs.
  • I have a powder board as well, and may buy a new powder board, so I'm not really looking for all-mountain + powder. I switch to the pow stick when the snow reaches about 8+. I'm looking for the everyday shredder for all-mountain and off piste when there isn't a ton of snow.
  • My comment about creative lines wasn't about shape of the board, but the fact I like to find creative ways down the mountain that others don't do. I love finding things to jump off or over that nobody else sees. Silly little tree jibs..that type of stuff.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
An old dog like you needs camber, get a Nitro Banker or Telos DST.

Or if you're less of a charger sounds likes a woodsman X could be cool for you too.

I don't actually think you're old but you said so lol

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and thoughts guys...definitely a few boards that I've never even heard of to checkout 😁

I'll answer/clarify some of the questions from the thread:
  • I don't ride switch very much anymore. I'm old for a boarder (41) so I stick to what I'm best at these days. My T-Rice is a twin so that feels normal to me, but a directional or directional twin is probably best.
  • Where do I ride? I ride mostly in Washington State, and hit Whistler or Bachelor one weekend per year, and don't do park anymore. I seek off piste and powder whenever possible, and like steeps, drops, tree lines, etc. I love jumping, but it's almost all natural jumps and pretty much straight airs.
  • I have a powder board as well, and may buy a new powder board, so I'm not really looking for all-mountain + powder. I switch to the pow stick when the snow reaches about 8+. I'm looking for the everyday shredder for all-mountain and off piste when there isn't a ton of snow.
  • My comment about creative lines wasn't about shape of the board, but the fact I like to find creative ways down the mountain that others don't do. I love finding things to jump off or over that nobody else sees. Silly little tree jibs..that type of stuff.
Thanks!!
Lib EJack, Arbor Guch, Niche Maelstrom, or a K2 Manifest then if pow is less a concern.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Or if you're less of a charger sounds likes a woodsman X could be cool for you too.

haha...I don't feel old, but compared to some of the young bucks running the park these days I'm definitely an old timer.

Thanks for the reco's

·
Registered
322 Posts

Hard to do a Banker with 12s. Would choose a Squash 163 especially since its a wide this season and similar shape besides the swallowtail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts