Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Source? I'm skeptical!
For sure I heard it on an Angry Snowboard review of a Flow binding. But I think I read it somewhere else too years ago.

What makes you skeptical about it? Makes sense to me they started with the one-piece strap idea. The early models were more locked down so I can see why the back entry came as a result of the design process.

Attachments

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
2,152 Posts
Source? I'm skeptical!

Their true intent, who knows??? A binding that is more comfortable, easier to get into and performs better sounds a lot like marketing hype too.

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
2,190 Posts
For sure I heard it on an Angry Snowboard review of a Flow binding. But I think I read it somewhere else too years ago.

What makes you skeptical about it? Makes sense to me they started with the one-piece strap idea. The early models were more locked down so I can see why the back entry came as a result of the design process.
Their true intent, who knows??? A binding that is more comfortable, easier to get into and performs better sounds a lot like marketing hype too.
I'm not making a dig at Flow bindings, I'm just skeptical that the main intent wasn't easy entry. Was curious to see if there was anything out there saying it was primarily for performance. Hard to separate truth from the hype!

My first bindings post-rentals were Flows back in about 2005. Then I went to metal Flow Teams. Enjoyed them a lot. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
here is a Japanese shopping site that has the Supermatics already listed; north of $450 USD (ouch), which is interesting considering it isn't suppose to be released to the fall (at least in the US/Euro market). A bunch more close up shots of the binding as well.

Edit: now looking again at the site, if you purchase you are reserving one starting in October.

·
Registered
263 Posts
TBH, I was a bit sceptical about these, but how he folds the highback for skating here at 2:35 and then quickly pushes it back with foot and steps in, is quite nice
Jimi7 said:
Looks like they put some serious thought into these bindings.
I'm still wondering how they'll do with some lifts that have that extended bar, these Supermatic highbacks stick out quite a bit. This season I've had a couple lift incidents with Flows and the latch coming undone on something (which is new for me, it's something about the TM's). But the Supermatics work differently of course.

The thing I'd have to get over is these likely don't ride like Flows, but regular Nidecker bindings.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I had a chance to check it out in person, but could not ride due to my arm injury. The build is solid and the parts look durable. A tester friend agreed with me that if the toe cap was not properly set up, it led to a loose toe feeling that needed to be cranked down manually. Doing so for a few runs eventually resulted in getting the fit dialed. Considering it was his first time with Nidecker's hybrid straps, the user experience was pretty easy.

Oh, the highback doesn't rotate. Not sure if that was mentioned before. That would be my only nit-pick.

Size-wise, my size 8 Ride Tridents seemed to drop-in and lock into the L size with a little room to spare, so I will try to test fit a M before deciding on size.

As for opting for the Hybrid over the Fusion strap, I think Nideckr must have been trying to look as close to regular strap bindings as possible with this first introduction. After a successful launch I don't see why they wouldn't offer the Fusion as an option, perhaps as the more responsive model?

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
2,152 Posts
I had a chance to check it out in person, but could not ride due to my arm injury. The build is solid and the parts look durable. A tester friend agreed with me that if the toe cap was not properly set up, it led to a loose toe feeling that needed to be cranked down manually. Doing so for a few runs eventually resulted in getting the fit dialed. Considering it was his first time with Nidecker's hybrid straps, the user experience was pretty easy.

Oh, the highback doesn't rotate. Not sure if that was mentioned before. That would be my only nit-pick.

Size-wise, my size 8 Ride Tridents seemed to drop-in and lock into the L size with a little room to spare, so I will try to test fit a M before deciding on size.

As for opting for the Hybrid over the Fusion strap, I think Nideckr must have been trying to look as close to regular strap bindings as possible with this first introduction. After a successful launch I don't see why they wouldn't offer the Fusion as an option, perhaps as the more responsive model?
Not sure if the Fusion strap is the right choice for these. With the Flows the cable makes up for a slightly loose toe strap. Nevertheless, it looks like Nidecker has put some thought and testing into these.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The regular Nidecker's can rotate some on the middle 2 of the 4 holes on either side on the "prongs" of the highback. It's kind of hard to tell if those are all available on this guy.
The highback is connected directly to the heel cup by hinges and a roller. Have a look at the pic. Unless the whole heel cup part of the binding rotates (it doesn't), there isn't a way for the highback to rotate on its own.
Automotive tire Vehicle Helmet Carbon Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
As if on cue the Japanese shop uploaded a size recommendation for the Supermatic, where he measured the footbed dimensions and compared them to those of existing Flows. Then he places multiple boots (brands, sizes) in the Supermatic (only L available) and the M and L Flows. He then concludes as follows (11:54 into the video):
Boot shell measurement ≥ 30cm : size L
Boot shell measurement 27 ~ 30 cm : size M
Glasses World Vision care Human Organism

·
Registered
263 Posts
The highback is connected directly to the heel cup by hinges and a roller. Have a look at the pic. Unless the whole heel cup part of the binding rotates (it doesn't), there isn't a way for the highback to rotate on its own.
I thought there might have been a second bolt hole on the legs of the highback for minimal rotation, but judging by that pic there wouldn't be. which maybe isn't that surprising. Flow doesn't have rotation either (the ModBack just adjusts up and down as I remember).

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
I've heard that too - the original idea wasn't to create ease of entry, but to improve performance. And if you owned the older Flows, they could definitely be a PITA to get into.
Source? I'm skeptical!
I'll back this up.
Flow was introduced in '96. Back then toe caps were not a thing so the gap between the ankle strap and toe strap was small. The Flow guys saw that and figured you could get a better fitting more comfortable strap if you just had one strap from toes to ankle distributing the pressure over more strap. But, at that point it made it harder to get in and out, so they looked for an alternative entry option, hence the folding highback. Then, adding the cable from the top of the highback to the frame provides a more efficient energy path compared to standard heelcup bindings. So faster heelsides and with more strap on the boot you have more material to drive through to get toeside. Propertly set up, there are very few bindings, all of which need carbon, that truly react as quick as Flow's can.

The convenience factor was secondary, better fit was the priority.

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
2,190 Posts
I'll back this up.
Flow was introduced in '96. Back then toe caps were not a thing so the gap between the ankle strap and toe strap was small. The Flow guys saw that and figured you could get a better fitting more comfortable strap if you just had one strap from toes to ankle distributing the pressure over more strap. But, at that point it made it harder to get in and out, so they looked for an alternative entry option, hence the folding highback. Then, adding the cable from the top of the highback to the frame provides a more efficient energy path compared to standard heelcup bindings. So faster heelsides and with more strap on the boot you have more material to drive through to get toeside. Propertly set up, there are very few bindings, all of which need carbon, that truly react as quick as Flow's can.

The convenience factor was secondary, better fit was the priority.
Thanks for the insight. Pretty quickly I imagine people saw it primarily as the easy to use option and it was marketed strongly to that.

Now that the strap is sorted I'm keen to give them another go.

81 - 100 of 141 Posts