Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm just after some advise on board selection for a season in Whistler. I'm about 182cm so 5 feet 11??? and 70kg (155lb.) It's my first season, with previously only holidays in Japan, Aus, and NZ. I currently ride a skate banana 156 which I'm taking but I want something that isn't painfully slow. I like the banana in Aus and NZ but in Japan I can't keep up with anyone or take the same lines. I've been looking at a never summer cobra 158. Would this be a good call or too similar to the banana? I mostly prefer tree runs. Is there a rental place in whistler that would rent one for me to try? I could only find other brands on the net.

Any advise would be great.

Cheers!

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
do it.
maybe even a lil shorter than 158
No way he should go shorter than 158 if he plans to ride the thing in Japan. I weigh about the same and changed from the 155 to the 158 because the former was useless i Hokkaido pow.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think 156 should be plenty for Whistler (this is where he said he's riding the board, he just had a trip to Japan).

I like the Prior selection. I was in the factory on Friday and they have a big sale on... $250 off boards in stock or custom boards with last year's topsheets or still $200 off any new custom board. I'm guessing that ends today or tomorrow.

Check out Prior Snowboards and order a board that will be ready when you get here for $450. Seems like a steal for a custom, handbuilt board with a 3-year warranty.

I think they do daily rentals for $25.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cobra comes 155 158 or 161 I think, but if SGboarder finds his cobra is no better than the banana in powder than it probably isn't what I'm really after.
I've never heard of prior, I might have to try the daily rental first. Thanks for the advise guys. I might hold off until I get there then and try to rent some different boards.
Cheers

·
Registered
145 Posts
I could be wrong, but there's not a ton of rental variety up here so you might have to wait for a demo day.

Evolution is supposed to be the retailer up here, but I didn't see a single one when I was there this week. Boardroom in Vancouver usually has a good selection, plus they probably have last year's on clearance.

I have a 156 Never Summer Legacy (2011) that I'd give you a deal on. Certainly floats and probably the right size for you.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The banana is not even comparable the Cobra. I have a banana, SL and Proto. When you ride the Cobra you will see.

I would buy luckybocking's legacy!!! It's one badass board.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The banana is not even comparable the Cobra. I have a banana, SL and Proto. When you ride the Cobra you will see.

How do you rate your proto compared to the banana? How different does it ride?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could be wrong, but there's not a ton of rental variety up here so you might have to wait for a demo day.

Evolution is supposed to be the retailer up here, but I didn't see a single one when I was there this week. Boardroom in Vancouver usually has a good selection, plus they probably have last year's on clearance.

I have a 156 Never Summer Legacy (2011) that I'd give you a deal on. Certainly floats and probably the right size for you.
I came across the boardroom website the other day. Looks to be pretty reasonable prices (a few hundred less than here) so I will definitely be visiting when coming through Vancouver.

I'm looking to buy new but thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
How do you rate your proto compared to the banana? How different does it ride?
They ride completely different. I don't even know where to begin. All around better ride. More stable, 10x more pop, faster, better edge hold, damper. When you get a chance to ride one, it will take a little getting use to but it won't take long for it to impress. If your more about going fast, I would get the Cobra. I am more about freestyle so thats why Proto is better for me.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts

Agree with that and SGboarder. The Cobra is shit compared to the Skate Banana.

EDIT: Oops, in his next post M2M seems to suggest to the Proto and Cobra are better than the Skate Banana. I can say that is only the case for certain applications. Generally, and definitely for riding Japan, the NS decks can't hold a candle to the Banana.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Agree with that and SGboarder. The Cobra is shit compared to the Skate Banana.

EDIT: Oops, in his next post M2M seems to suggest to the Proto and Cobra are better than the Skate Banana. I can say that is only the case for certain applications. Generally, and definitely for riding Japan, the NS decks can't hold a candle to the Banana.
LOL. I like to know why you think the Banana is superior to the NS decks? I can't think of one detail in which the banana wins. My opinion of course

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
LOL. I like to know why you think the Banana is superior to the NS decks? I can't think of one detail in which the banana wins. My opinion of course
Fair enough, each to their own. FWIW I think the Banana
  • is just as fast
  • is much damper and has much less chatter at speed than the NS decks (the tips are a little floppier, but it makes no real difference)
  • pop is about the same (most camber decks feel 'poppier/snapper' but it actually makes no difference in actual ollie height etc.)
  • Magnetraction has much better better edge hold than Variogrip (even GripTech and Quickrip are better than Variogrip)
Agree on the edge-to-edge though, which is a result of the generally narrower waists on the NS boards.

Thing is the NS boards are just fine for some types of riding, but in Hokkaido it is a different story. Only 2 things matter: float and dampness/stability in rutted terrain. Best general solution for most people for this: A slightly above medium flex rocker board, one size up from what you would ride elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Fair enough, each to their own. FWIW I think the Banana
  • is just as fast
  • is much damper and has much less chatter at speed than the NS decks (the tips are a little floppier, but it makes no real difference)
  • pop is about the same (most camber decks feel 'poppier/snapper' but it actually makes no difference in actual ollie height etc.)
  • Magnetraction has much better better edge hold than Variogrip (even GripTech and Quickrip are better than Variogrip)
Agree on the edge-to-edge though, which is a result of the generally narrower waists on the NS boards.

Thing is the NS boards are just fine for some types of riding, but in Hokkaido it is a different story. Only 2 things matter: float and dampness/stability in rutted terrain. Best general solution for most people for this: A slightly above medium flex rocker board, one size up from what you would ride elsewhere.
I feel like your just fucking with me now. You seem to know quite a bit about boards and I just don't believe you actually think that stuff. Not trying to pick a fight but do you have some kind of hate for NS that makes you biase? If so that's understandable. Nothing wrong with disliking something. It our nature to be different then one another.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
I feel like your just fucking with me now. You seem to know quite a bit about boards and I just don't believe you actually think that stuff. Not trying to pick a fight but do you have some kind of hate for NS that makes you biase? If so that's understandable. Nothing wrong with disliking something. It our nature to be different then one another.
Absolutely not. I am not hating on NS at all - our shops sell plenty of them and they look after their dealers.
In general the decks are decent (if not spectacular) and perfectly suitable for the majority of riders. They are overpriced for what they are, but again: some of that goes back to our shops, so I ain't complaining.
But for almost any application there are better and/or cheaper decks available than NS. And for 1 of the applications/uses discussed in this thread (Hokkaido pow) NS simply does not have an appropriate board at all (let alone a competitive offering).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts