Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
End of the season is coming super fast on the east coast so sales will be starting.

My son is 15, about 105lb, 5'6 or so. Currently he's on a NS Proto mini 142. Next board it's time to make the jump to an adult board. He's finally growing but definitely on the slim side, so figure ~110-115lb for next year. Boot size 7.5-8.

He's not really big into the park but does do it a bit, say 20% park. The rest all mountain. East Coast so not a ton of powder, hard pack management more important. He does like something he can butter and a bit of pop for side hits would be good. Definitely a twin.

If I had to just pick something I'd likely gravitate to the Funslinger or Proto Type 2, with the edge being Funslinger because of his weight and the availability in a 146. His last 2 boards have been NS which he has liked but I'm not set on them.

What else is out there that might fit the bill? I do prefer made in the USA, but it doesn't have to be.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lib tech has the t ripper which is USA made im guessing? Definitely the fun slinger over a proto out of those two. Proto is too big for him and the funslinger will be more fun.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Lib tech has the t ripper which is USA made im guessing? Definitely the fun slinger over a proto out of those two. Proto is too big for him and the funslinger will be more fun.
I wish I could get a real review on the t.ripper but being a youth there aren't any. The claim is it's a scaled down t.rice pro, but I'm wondering if there's more to it than just a smaller size. For example the core seems to be different ratio of woods. It does seem to be the one youth board that still fits the bill.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’d imagine they would need to change the build of a youth board to maintain the same flex for a smaller less powerful rider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts