Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, trying to do some research and learn about what would be good for my next board. My first was probably bought in around 04, and have used it ever since even though I took the last 2 years off of boarding.

I'm 5'6", ~140 lbs. (My feet are also small my shoe size is between an 8-9) And I'm not growing any more (god damnit, 23 years old)

I was watching this:

YouTube - Snowboard Rocker & Camber Guide

And it seems that what I want to do fits into the "all mountain freestyle rocker". The reverse camber thing definitely seems interesting to me and I think I want to try it. I could get down the mountain and carve with no problem on my old board, but I want to get around to hurdling myself off kickers to certain bone breakage.

What I currently have is a 147 board. Always seemed to serve me well but last I remember was starting to seem a bit stiff to me. It's right below my chin. So anyways, what board options do I have besides the ones in the video? If I am going to start trying to get into tricks, would a true twin be better than a directional? Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
go for a 150 or 152 size and consider looking into maybe a rome agent or something its a kind of stiff kind of hard board and allows u to slay it all good for jumps rails riding pretty much everything

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. So you think I should stick with positive camber instead of a rocker even with wanting to get into more 'tricks'? I don't care too much about going ridiculously fast, but something easy to butter and ride switch would be a blast for me. I'm not the type of guy that wants to go huge, just something really easy to have fun with.

·
Registered
116 Posts
well rocker goes great with rails and such but positive camber goes great with speeds and jumps and tricks im kind of new to snowboarding but finding a new board i had to ask alot of stuff alot of people tell me that you can hold an edge and hit jumps and do tricks better with positive camber and rocker is amazing for rails because it holds on better to the rail but if you have the money and want an all around board do some research on the rome agent itll do absolutely amazing on tricks and riding and everything else hope this helped and not to get confused with the rome agent rocker just look at the rome agent

·
Registered
116 Posts
btw rocker boards take away pop on jumps but rocker is supposedly a unique ride havent road one yet though infact ive inly rode my friends board im getting a board this year though haha

·
Registered
258 Posts
You definitely sound like you want something with reverse camber. Get about a 147-152 anything between that size should be fine. boards with RC are more playful and more your park/freestyle boards and they float great in pow because of the natural lift they have. i went from a burton operator 152 (regular camber) to a skate banana 152 (reverse camber with magnatraction) and i instantly noticed a huge difference, you can butter and spin around with not having to worry about catching an edge ( it can still happen trust me hahaha) If your going for a board that is just all around fun to ride and playful in the park and freestyle stuff, go with a RC. if your looking to bomb hills and hit fat jumps, go regular camber.
Look at lib tech stuff, Capita stuff, and a lot of people on these forums are in love with Neversummer, i've never ridden one so i cant give an opinion on them.
try to ride a few different boards if you can, and just pick your favorite, its a big person preference thing, i wasn't a big fan of capita, but i know a lot of people swear by them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You definitely sound like you want something with reverse camber. Get about a 147-152 anything between that size should be fine. boards with RC are more playful and more your park/freestyle boards and they float great in pow because of the natural lift they have. i went from a burton operator 152 (regular camber) to a skate banana 152 (reverse camber with magnatraction) and i instantly noticed a huge difference, you can butter and spin around with not having to worry about catching an edge ( it can still happen trust me hahaha) If your going for a board that is just all around fun to ride and playful in the park and freestyle stuff, go with a RC. if your looking to bomb hills and hit fat jumps, go regular camber.
Look at lib tech stuff, Capita stuff, and a lot of people on these forums are in love with Neversummer, i've never ridden one so i cant give an opinion on them.
try to ride a few different boards if you can, and just pick your favorite, its a big person preference thing, i wasn't a big fan of capita, but i know a lot of people swear by them.
+1 sorda what i was trying to say but put way better

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot guys. Yeah, playful is definitely what I am looking for. I will check out all those brands most definitely and get to a ski shop to try some stuff out. That skate banana is looking real good to me just because it looks like they have a pretty good idea of what they're doing and it's gotten good reviews on this site.

With a size 8-9 shoe, I would probably want a narrow board right?

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Should be fine with a regular board at your sizing(have anywhere from 8.5-9.5 boots myself depending on brand). Just check out your local shops and demo a few of the newer board profiles if possible. Going from a camber to a form of rocker will feel different and there are a few versions of rocker out there to choose from.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome, thanks. Can't wait to get out there and try some. Gonna have to sell a few guitars or something to get ready for this season!

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Snowboarder1, please do us a favor and use more punctuation. Its real hard to get what you're saying. You gave us a whole paragraph without a single comma or period or anything.

The Nanner has good reviews mostly out of hype. Most will not drop that much on a board and admit they hate it. That boards sales were driven by the hype machine that is Mervin. Lib's are characteristically heavy and planky, and they tend to delam. There are better options for less money out there. Boards to look at in that style range are the Parkstar, Rook, Kink, Indoor FK, Swindle, Artifact '85, or the Evo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Nivek, I guess that is to be expected eh? I'll keep looking at these boards when I'm not so tired... it's not easy cus you'll find 5 reviews that rave about a board, then 10 that say it suck... for every board! The Banana does seem to be priced quite higher than the other ones though.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Find the reviews that use more technical terms and actually brake down the specifics of each characteristic of the boards. Someone that does that probably knows more than someone that just puts up that the BOARD IS AWESOME OMG AND I CAN JIB IT LIKE CRAZY AND IT SLAYS POWDER AND IT LEAVES RAINBOW TRAILS EVERYWHERE I GO, clearly they have no idea what they're are talking about. If you could put them on a 4 year old Lamar they'd think it was the shizit.

angrysnowboarder.com

I respect his reviews. Also thats a good example of the kind of info you should expect from a good reviewer. I especially like that he states his reviews as "his take", or "what I though", "personal thoughts". Someone that proposes their review as fact isn't worth as much as someone who understands that a boards quality is for the most part an individual decision. Though general a concensus can be had. Technine for example, stay away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks again. Not super easy for me to find a lot of good reviews though, maybe I just don't know where to look? I did quite a bit more research, and what I really like about the Never Summer is 1, A lot of its popularity is by word of mouth, not so much the marketing. 2, they make it in my size (I'll prob go with the 148). And 3, it seems right about what I'm looking for.

So I'm pretty sure I'll go with the evo.

If so, what binding options do I have? Sorry I don't know a whole lot about the equipment...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts