Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

New Board Help. Custom or other?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  olidonog 
#1 ·
Hi All, new to this Forum so hoping you hold the magic answers for me.

Unfortunately I cannot get to a demo day somewhere this december and want a new board for the season. I live in the Czech Republic where the morning runs can be icy and the afternoons very bumpy (fun on my 155 Un-Inc!).

Basically I want a board I can charge around on but also dabble in and out of the off-piste at the edge of groomers. I tend to mainly spend my time with Skiers so speed can be of the essence a bit (but if I am having fun they can wait!).

I was considering getting the custom again (have a 2008/9 162) long story but I will be leaving that at another office in Switzerland so I can get more mountain time). Or the Flying-V but have been put off by the edge-hold problems.

The other option was the Burton Antler but am getting conflicting views. Some saying its a park board others saying it bridges the gap between the custom and the Custom X.

I'm 6'1 and about 186lbs (84kgs) so the custom sizing has confused me somewhat. I think 163cm but how manouverable versus the 160 which may be crap in any powder I am lucky enough to come across (have a St Anton trip booked in and praying for a few dumps whilst there).

I'm not averse to other brands but have loved what I have had and like the ICS system. Generally I'll stick a pair of Cartels on my board. Moneywise I'm open. Its not a major issue as I believe you get what you pay for. Graphics? Not remotely bothered!

In short advice about the edge hold for the flying-V (and whether its worth loosing out on this for something that just jibs easier and floats better). Maybe even a shorter custom x? I would say that I am intermediate-advanced e.g. there is no piste I won't crack down. I am not bothered about parks and half-pipes but do like natural kickers and my perfect run would be a long stretch in Niseko of Strawberry Fields (not too deep powder!) opening up to a nice wide untracked red. Swedish Naked chicks line the route as well of course.

Help appreciated and will reply to further questions!

See less See more
#4 ·
The salesguy at my local shop is very supportive of the burton antler, he says that it is the former X8 as I recall. He also says that it's similar to the sherlock but with a flatter profile, ie less rocker in the middle, so it has a little more edge hold than the Sherlock and Custom Flying V, and it's not as squirrely on the flats (which is the bane of the sherlock in my opinion). He didn't describe the antler to me as a park board.

I have two burton boards, one cambered and on flying V and the flying V is super fun as long as the snow's a little soft, ie not icy hardpack. If you'll only have one board and you ride a lot in icy conditions i'd stick with camber in the burton line or look for someone else's edge tech, flying V is only ok on ice. For me I like the two board solution to this.

I will definitely be looking to try the Antler out when there is a demo day, hopefully they have one there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.