Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

New to the site, been boarding for 5 years about 5 days a year all on Burton LTR rental boards. So still pretty green, but at the end of last season i carved down some colorado blues. Im looking into getting more serious this year, bought a season pass to my closest mountain and plan on learning some tricks and going about 30 days this year.

I went ahead and bought everything i need after doing a solid amount of research if people could give me advice on what they think about my set up and some ideas on how to get started learning tricks.

Board- 152 Burton Process Flying V
Bindings- Burton Custom
Boots- Burton Rulers
Local Mountain- Mountain creek New Jersey; Taking a trip to Stratton Vermont in mid December
Stats- 28years, 140lb, 5'6" 9boot

Been watching a lot of vids and practicing on my lawn with a half roller doing 180s and butters.trying to learn to ollie but not sure if i can do it off a yoga mat on the lawn. Also learned to wax my board did it once already seems pretty straight forward. Thinking of going with these angles after doing some off snow practice with my gear- +12/-9

recommendations for any other vids to watch or how to prepare would be great. really looking to take it to a next level this year.

Thanks guys been learning a lot just reading the last couple months and look forward to being part of the community.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Visited Winter Park , CO for about 3 days in March.

Live in NYC so bought a season pass to my mountain in NJ an hour away. Plan on going every day i have off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wouldnt go to a flying v if youre riding east coast. I ride at mountain creek mostly and i owned one for about 2 weeks and sold it because the edge hold just didnt cut it. It would be fine for playing around and jibbing in the park if thats all youre doing though. If i were you id go with a burton custom or something with a camber rocker camber hybrid to be more park friendly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i got some advice,

get a lock for your snowboard or make sure to always put your board in the "check in" areas. mountain creek always sketches me out with all of the thieves there. i'm on long island so its my local mountain too :embarrased1:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
i got some advice,

get a lock for your snowboard or make sure to always put your board in the "check in" areas. mountain creek always sketches me out with all of the thieves there. i'm on long island so its my local mountain too :embarrased1:
Or just stay away from Mountain Creek. It's the closest mountain to me too but I stay away. I rather drive another hour to go to the catskills.

·
Registered
745 Posts
It's not one of the better boards around but it's a fun deck, little edge hold is what makes it loads of fun. It will teach you to commit to your carves or you don't get anything out of it and it will save your ass more than enough times when your sloppy. My only gripe is that its a bit too soft, enough under the feet but that rockered mid section has a lot of play, if your technique isn't on point you end up riding half a board a lot of the time which is why its notorious for shitty edge hold, your either gonna love it or hate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is mountain creek really that bad?!?

I just bought a season pass figured I would get out there the most any mountain that size is an extra hour away. I heard the park is really good and that's what I'm looking to learn.

I was looking for something with medium edge hold because I wanted to hit boxes and rails and I read that it's not good to have crazy edge hold on those.

Anyway my first set up first season pass I'll see how it goes. What's the worst that can happen.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Go by all means. Enjoy yourself. If you want to learn park mostly, you will be ok at creek.

Don't leave your board, ever and don't go during really busy hours.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
the parks are good at mountain creek. i don't think you'll find a place in the catskills that have as much park terrain as mountain creek. but other than that the catskills are so much better. i'd prefer to go there instead of mountain creek but i only live 5 minutes down the road so it's hard to pass up such a close commute.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts