Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a board from a friend - 2009 Burton Custom X

I just started boarding this season and until now have been renting..

I got this board for a killer price (friend used it once $200) thats the only reason why I went with such an advanced board..

I need your guys feedback, is this board too much for me? Will I have a shitty time?

Being a beginner I hear the stiff boards turn on a dime and that might be a problem.

I'm 6'2" and weigh 195lbs, shoe size 11

Board - 09 Custom X 159 CM wideboard - Mission Bindings

Am I setting myself up for failure? Will it be a bigger learning curve?

Any thoughts or feedback would be apprecieted

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the board is going to be a little stiff at first. but personally i would've rather started on a good board and just known how it felt from the get go.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I definitely couldn't justify buying a beginner then intermediate then advanced board as I progress.. Seems kind of stupid.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have a feeling you'll be fine. From what I understand that board isn't so niche that you'll find yourself screwed in some areas. If you're at a place, start out on some more chill runs. If you feel a little overwhelmed on the runs get a lesson or two.

Plus, as you mentioned, you won't need to upgrade for a while (note: need, not that you won't buy another board anyways :laugh:)

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think you'll be fine too. A softer board will be more forgiving and easier to learn turns on, but you sound like a big guy so you probably won't feel like you're overly exerting yourself trying to flex the board and initiate a turn. The X isn't even that stiff of a board anyways from what I remember.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you'll be fine too. A softer board will be more forgiving and easier to learn turns on, but you sound like a big guy so you probably won't feel like you're overly exerting yourself trying to flex the board and initiate a turn. The X isn't even that stiff of a board anyways from what I remember.

awesome, I'm taking it out this weekend for the first time, can't effing wait.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I just picked up a board from a friend - 2009 Burton Custom X

I just started boarding this season and until now have been renting..

I got this board for a killer price (friend used it once $200) thats the only reason why I went with such an advanced board..

I need your guys feedback, is this board too much for me? Will I have a shitty time?

Being a beginner I hear the stiff boards turn on a dime and that might be a problem.

I'm 6'2" and weigh 195lbs, shoe size 11

Board - 09 Custom X 159 CM wideboard - Mission Bindings

Am I setting myself up for failure? Will it be a bigger learning curve?

Any thoughts or feedback would be apprecieted
youll be fine on this board especially since u have a 159W and ur 200lbs.
i ride a 160 custom x and im 165lbs.

im not saying this board is out of your league, but this is a great board that you wont really have anything to compare it to besides the rental boards...
yes its a stiff board and u WILL catch an edge on it at first..But u got urself a fucking terrific deal on it and u will eventually learn on it and enjoy the deck
have fun:thumbsup:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So basically for the first half of the day I was catching edges, it kinda wore me out. The board almost seemed too sensitive, I was feeling every tiny dip/edge the slopes had.

I eventually started to get the hang of the board but I still need a few trips before I get comfortable.

The board is very, very fast compared to the rentals I've ridden.

All i need to do now is to figure out how to make a right turn without hooking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts