Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, been lurking on here for a while.

I mainly ride East Coast with a trip out West once a year. No park riding, just groomers & off piste - I'm into carving, trees, side hits, natural jumps, speed, some buttering.

I couldn't pass up 50% off on these boards:
Endeavor BOD
Endeavor Archetype
Rome Ravine

I'm thinking that the BOD, a true twin, will be for days when I want to work on riding switch & be a little more playful when I'm riding with my kids.
The Archetype will be my powder board for out West and the occasional east coast powder day.🙏
The Ravine is a directional cambered board so I'm assuming this will be more of a Freeride board, focused on speed & carving. This would be for days that I'm out
solo or with friends, sans kids, to rip groomers and ride aggressively.

Does this look like a decent quiver for my type of riding?
Is my logic off with these decks or is there overlap between them?
Are the BOD & Ravine too similar or fit the same need?

·
Registered
37 Posts
You could go with three boards, but you could easily get just two. The Rome Ravine can be considered a quiver killer. It has a longer nose, setback, has a taper, and 3d rocker nose — so it will definitely do pretty well in the powder. It's also softer flex, so it's not necessarily that aggressive either. I don't think it'd do well in switch though if that's important to you; so in that situation you may go BOD + Ravine.

If you have the cash, and don't mind carrying three boards around, then go for it. But generally speaking, most people's riding can be encompassed in two boards. For me, I have a Kazu Kokubo Pro and an Outerspace Living. The former does my all mountain, powder, hard-charging stuff. The latter does my chill out, switch, park, type of riding.

Considering your home turf is the East Coast, I'd say you don't need a dedicated powder board and the Ravine will do you just fine. Unless you're a powder fanatic and want the best possible experience when it dumps, then of course, get the best powder board you can get your hands on.

·
Registered
383 Posts
50 % deals on well-known and rated boards so who cares - you can ride them basically for free, test and resell :)

The Archetype isn’t a powder stick though but a playfull freeride ride. It just looks like one. Much overlap with the Ravine. You will really enjoy carving, charging and jumping on it more. And it is not only my experience (and I’ve ridden it in a waist deep powder in Livigno). Search forum for a a long thread about it, Japaw guys talking about it. A great board but not a powder one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. I just read the Archetype thread and it looks like I may have gotten the wrong size. I'm 150 lbs, size 9, and I ordered the 150cm. You think that board is too small for me?
They're out of 154 & 158's now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could go with three boards, but you could easily get just two. The Rome Ravine can be considered a quiver killer. It has a longer nose, setback, has a taper, and 3d rocker nose — so it will definitely do pretty well in the powder. It's also softer flex, so it's not necessarily that aggressive either. I don't think it'd do well in switch though if that's important to you; so in that situation you may go BOD + Ravine.

If you have the cash, and don't mind carrying three boards around, then go for it. But generally speaking, most people's riding can be encompassed in two boards. For me, I have a Kazu Kokubo Pro and an Outerspace Living. The former does my all mountain, powder, hard-charging stuff. The latter does my chill out, switch, park, type of riding.

Considering your home turf is the East Coast, I'd say you don't need a dedicated powder board and the Ravine will do you just fine. Unless you're a powder fanatic and want the best possible experience when it dumps, then of course, get the best powder board you can get your hands on.
Yeah, I got trigger happy when I saw those deals but I'm second guessing myself now. Maybe I return either the Ravine or the Archetype... Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
50 % deals on well-known and rated boards so who cares - you can ride them basically for free, test and resell :)

The Archetype isn’t a powder stick though but a playfull freeride ride. It just looks like one. Much overlap with the Ravine. You will really enjoy carving, charging and jumping on it more. And it is not only my experience (and I’ve ridden it in a waist deep powder in Livigno). Search forum for a a long thread about it, Japaw guys talking about it. A great board but not a powder one.
Thanks for the info. In your opinion, you'd dump the Ravine and hold onto the Archetype?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks for the info. In your opinion, you'd dump the Ravine and hold onto the Archetype?
The more boards your ride the better, you have more experience to relate to the reviewers for your future boards. You see what is their preference in general, if they overhype/hate some brands for whatever reason etc.
It also helps on this forum. For example when I compare my experience with several boards that @zc1 has also ridden (and sometimes it is different than what most reviews say), I can kind of blindly buy what this guy likes.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The more boards your ride the better, you have more experience to relate to the reviewers for your future boards. You see what is their preference in general, if they overhype/hate some brands for whatever reason etc.
It also helps on this forum. For example when I compare my experience with several boards that @zc1 has also ridden (and sometimes it is different than what most reviews say), I can kind of blindly buy what this guy likes.
I would also say that it makes you more aware of how you ride and your own ability.

This season was pretty awful in the sense I spent very few days on snow, but the days I did spend I rode quite a lot of different boards. I wouldn't say it made me a better rider, but it put a lot of my riding in perspective. It also makes you aware of what you are doing since different boards behave differently to the same input.

Hopping onto different boards made my short season much better and joyful than if I'd just been on a single board.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would also say that it makes you more aware of how you ride and your own ability.

This season was pretty awful in the sense I spent very few days on snow, but the days I did spend I rode quite a lot of different boards. I wouldn't say it made me a better rider, but it put a lot of my riding in perspective. It also makes you aware of what you are doing since different boards behave differently to the same input.

Hopping onto different boards made my short season much better and joyful than if I'd just been on a single board.
I agree and would even say that it makes you a better rider for the reasons mentioned.

I started doing the same lately, unfortunately only rode one board per week/weekend and was planning to do more comparison in riding back to back boards this week...
Hopefully next seasons will be better.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Okay. I just read the Archetype thread and it looks like I may have gotten the wrong size. I'm 150 lbs, size 9, and I ordered the 150cm. You think that board is too small for me?
They're out of 154 & 158's now.
I am normally the guy that says get'em all but in this case I would say its too short for you. I am the same weight as you, size 8, bought the 154 and like it but would definitely prefer 158 on pow.

·
Registered
95 Posts
First post, been lurking on here for a while.

I mainly ride East Coast with a trip out West once a year. No park riding, just groomers & off piste - I'm into carving, trees, side hits, natural jumps, speed, some buttering.

I couldn't pass up 50% off on these boards:
Endeavor BOD
Endeavor Archetype
Rome Ravine

I'm thinking that the BOD, a true twin, will be for days when I want to work on riding switch & be a little more playful when I'm riding with my kids.
The Archetype will be my powder board for out West and the occasional east coast powder day.🙏
The Ravine is a directional cambered board so I'm assuming this will be more of a Freeride board, focused on speed & carving. This would be for days that I'm out
solo or with friends, sans kids, to rip groomers and ride aggressively.

Does this look like a decent quiver for my type of riding?
Is my logic off with these decks or is there overlap between them?
Are the BOD & Ravine too similar or fit the same need?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Actually don’t unwrap the Archetype. I missed your 9 US boots info, you won’t be able to carve hard even with the smallest footprint. Keep the Ravine and flip the Archetype early next season, get a bigger one on the next sale if you don’t like the Ravine.
Or send it back and take the Alpha, if they shipped to EU I would have gotten one a week ago. It will be a great quiver.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would agree about the Archetype. If you're going to get a powder-specific board (since it's a rare special occasion we all want to maximise), then it's important to get the right board. Longer boards means better float, and given your weight, I would say it's better for at least 154 or 158. I think the 150 would be fine if you're planning on doing more on-piste carves, etc.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I would agree about the Archetype. If you're going to get a powder-specific board (since it's a rare special occasion we all want to maximise), then it's important to get the right board. Longer boards means better float, and given your weight, I would say it's better for at least 154 or 158. I think the 150 would be fine if you're planning on doing more on-piste carves, etc.
It would be ok for piste-carves if not for his boots 9 at that board size.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Doesn’t the BOD have upkicked contact points or something? Wouldn’t be my first choice for an east coast daily. If I’m wrong about that then it’s probably fine. I see overlap between the archetype and Ravine since they’re both powder “ish” not powder boards. I’d ditch both and get a Mind Expander and use it for carving, powder and dicking around and getting surfy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Doesn’t the BOD have upkicked contact points or something? Wouldn’t be my first choice for an east coast daily. If I’m wrong about that then it’s probably fine. I see overlap between the archetype and Ravine since they’re both powder “ish” not powder boards. I’d ditch both and get a Mind Expander and use it for carving, powder and dicking around and getting surfy.
The BOD does have slightly raised contact points. Looking at it though it's a barely noticeable upturn, not sure how it will affect edge hold in hard snow/ice, time will tell. Other than that, it's a traditional camber board. Last season I rode a Burton Clash which is Rocker/Flat/Rocker and managed not to hurt myself on the ice coast. The BOD will def be a step up.

From the product details:
3D Camber – 3D camber combines traditional camber with a 3D shape in the nose and tail. Just like the back of a spoon, this lifts the nose, tail and contact points off the snow to increase versatility and reduce hang ups in soft snow without compromising stability or grip on hard snow. This makes 3D camber ideal for All Terrain Freeride boards.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts