Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Alot of people like 3bt and similar tech, spooks me out for edge hold on our hard snow/ice though. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'd love to try some of that 3d tech in the powder, and it seems awesome for party boarding too. It also spooks me out for edge hold on the hard stuff. Seems like once it's over on edge it should be fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
TJ from Board Archive talks a lot about this since he rides a lot of Bataleon boards. It definitely takes some getting used to, as it requires you to lean into your edges more than usual before it engages — but it does engage. Same as the folks at Good Ride, it took them about 5 days before they really enjoyed the board.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So the 3BT is different on each of the Bataleon boards, and theirs is a lot on the base—but it's usually all towards the tip and tail. I don't think it affects the effective edge (same amount) that much, it's more just about board control. You have more leeway to lean into a turn before it starts to engage the edge. You can think of it as the difference between rocker and camber — the edge is the same, just the responsiveness.

TJ on Board Archive talks a lot about how he thinks Bataloen's 3BT is the perfect version of camrock boards (that is, the 3BT replaces the function of rocker better). I recommend checking out some of his review on Bataleon boards. On the other hard, the 3D bases of other brands (like Arbor, Burton, Endeavor, etc.) are all less extreme than Bataleon — so it could be a better middle ground of having less catch free edges.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
The more boards your ride the better, you have more experience to relate to the reviewers for your future boards. You see what is their preference in general, if they overhype/hate some brands for whatever reason etc.
It also helps on this forum. For example when I compare my experience with several boards that @zc1 has also ridden (and sometimes it is different than what most reviews say), I can kind of blindly buy what this guy likes.
Agree 100% with this. I also noticed that we have very similar board preferences. It's your fault I started watching the Amplid outlet, haha.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Agree 100% with this. I also noticed that we have very similar board preferences. It's your fault I started watching the Amplid outlet, haha.
Haha and me eyeing Stratos now as I can somehow rationalize adding it the overgrown quiver with this 3D shaping. And shortlisting Jones bindings (with the new toe straps) to try next season.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Haha and me eyeing Stratos now as I can somehow rationalize adding it the overgrown quiver with this 3D shaping. And shortlisting NOW bindings (with the new toe straps) to try next season.
I may have convinced myself I can pass on the Stratos. Let's how I handle any discount next year..

Have a look at the Jones binding, I read they will be using the Rome toe straps ( same as Katanas).
I had the old Pilot toe straps, swapped it to the new ones for a few days this year, after a few adjustment it mostly works but still slipping at times. I could strap standing which was not an option with the old ones but it still requires thinking about it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I may have convinced myself I can pass on the Stratos. Let's how I handle any discount next year..

Have a look at the Jones binding, I read they will be using the Rome toe straps ( same as Katanas).
I had the old Pilot toe straps, swapped it to the new ones for a few days this year, after a few adjustment it mostly works but still slipping at times. I could strap standing which was not an option with the old ones but it still requires thinking about it.
Yup, I meant Jones, edited. Thanks! NOW is still stubborn to be Frankensteined by many.
That’s why I tell my gf to stay silent and not to bother me when I reply to forum threads hah

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Haha and me eyeing Stratos now as I can somehow rationalize adding it the overgrown quiver with this 3D shaping. And shortlisting Jones bindings (with the new toe straps) to try next season.
I actually wouldn't have picked the Stratos for you, to be honest. I feel like it'd be a little less of a charger than you like.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I actually wouldn't have picked the Stratos for you, to be honest. I feel like it'd be a little less of a charger than you like.
Hah no worries mate. I’ve read your feedback on it and it clearly doesn’t look like a hard charger. I would get it to be like a directional playful all mountain-freeride powder/slush board in my quiver. But a one I could ride hard snow in the morning too.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts