Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off my boot size was determined after taking measurements (length and width) as per wiredsports boot thread, so im confident that the is right
I'm riding in a pair of 2017 burton almightys that were heat molded prior to use
Today was my 1st of 3 days of riding in killington vt, and both of my big toes were very painful throughout the day, to the point that when I took my boots off I could have sworn they were both going to be black and blue (that was not the case tho) This pain lasted all day to the point where I didnt want to go up for the final run.

Is this just part of the boot break in process when buying your proper boot size?

I ride regular and also had an issue with pain on my left (lead) foot on the outside of my foot near the center, and pain in my right foot but on the inside center of the foot.
This pain was not constant but the toe pain was.
I do have relatively low arches, I'm not sure if I should be looking at an insert to fix part of this.

Being away in killington I also have the option of looking for a boot fitter (not easily found at home). But its hard to decipher who actually knows what they are talking about, also if it needs adjustment I live 5 hours from here.

I attached a picture of where the pain is, sorry for the long post, just want to be comfortable on the mountain

Attachments

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Yes and no.
If your feet is skinny especially the ankles, it's possible your ankle is not exactly in the heel pocket usually too low.
When that happens, the boot will try to shove your feet too far forward.
I find by adding some material to the heel and a better footbed if you have flat feet, will allow better fitting around the heels and well as allowing the instep to be at the correct height to keep your feet from sliding forward.
The pain you are having is due to the muscles on the bottom of your feet stretching because of lack of arch support.

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
To start off my boot size was determined after taking measurements (length and width) as per wiredsports boot thread, so im confident that the is right
I'm riding in a pair of 2017 burton almightys that were heat molded prior to use

Hi Woodhouse,

Please post up your barefoot measurements for each foot length and width and please let us know your current boot size.

STOKED!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hi Woodhouse,

Please post up your barefoot measurements for each foot length and width and please let us know your current boot size.

STOKED!
I did already, i was advised normal width size 11, it's in the thread, im just on my phone so its a pain to find.

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
I did already, i was advised normal width size 11, it's in the thread, im just on my phone so its a pain to find.
Please do post a link to that when you find it. Let's review that first.

STOKED!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The toe pain is my biggest concern right now, hoping these just need to break in
What's causing the pain? Are they rammed firmly into the front of the boots?
Yes, big toe on each foot only, it is slightly better today, which makes me think it's just part of the break in.
I'm going back to the boot fitter after today and I'm going to mold up the bootdoc low/mid insoles.
My buddy got it in his ski boot and said it's night and day.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Yes, big toe on each foot only, it is slightly better today, which makes me think it's just part of the break in.
I'm going back to the boot fitter after today and I'm going to mold up the bootdoc low/mid insoles.
My buddy got it in his ski boot and said it's night and day.
Yes, I got my new boots fitted and man they are so comfortable and no heel lift.
My heels are skinny so they don't stay in the heel pocket tightly. By adding some padding under my heels really helped the heel lift. Also a better fitted insole lifts my skinny feet up in the boots so the instep is keeping my feet from moving front to back in the boots.
Boot fitting really is important.

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
28.9 length, 10.16cm widest point
Hi Woodhouse,

You are an easy fit (Mid range for length and width) in Mondopoint 290 or size 11 US. Have you had your heat fit done? What are you wearing for socks?

STOKED!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
28.9 length, 10.16cm widest point
Hi Woodhouse,

You are an easy fit (Mid range for length and width) in Mondopoint 290 or size 11 US. Have you had your heat fit done? What are you wearing for socks?

STOKED!
Yes they have been heat fitted, wearing smart wool phd snowboard socks.... Will be trying out some insoles today

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
Yes they have been heat fitted, wearing smart wool phd snowboard socks.... Will be trying out some insoles today
Hi,

Snowboard boots Stretch about 1 full size over the first few weekends of riding. After that time you will likely wish you had back some of the old snugness. :)

Insoles can be fine if they work well with the boot and with the foot but they can also take you in the wrong direction. I would wait until after break in to change anything.

STOKED!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,

Snowboard boots Stretch about 1 full size over the first few weekends of riding. After that time you will likely wish you had back some of the old snugness. :)

Insoles can be fine if they work well with the boot and with the foot but they can also take you in the wrong direction. I would wait until after break in to change anything.

STOKED!
Ok, Im back on the factory burton almighty insoles.... I know the boot will pack out which is why I am not worried about the toe pain.

The pain on the inside and outside of my arch is a different story, its preventing me from finishing out that day. Seems so many of my buddies have zero foot pain, and they arent on the forums and just buy whatever is comfy in the store. Hopefully I can figure this out, foot pain really sucks.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yes, I got my new boots fitted and man they are so comfortable and no heel lift.
My heels are skinny so they don't stay in the heel pocket tightly. By adding some padding under my heels really helped the heel lift. Also a better fitted insole lifts my skinny feet up in the boots so the instep is keeping my feet from moving front to back in the boots.
Boot fitting really is important.
Did you get custom insoles or just off the shelf and cut to fit? Got some $50 SOLE insoles, and they're quite comfy now. Wasn't sure if it was worth the extra $50 to get true customs.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Did you get custom insoles or just off the shelf and cut to fit? Got some $50 SOLE insoles, and they're quite comfy now. Wasn't sure if it was worth the extra $50 to get true customs.
The boot fitter just used off the shelf stuff and cut to fit.
He looked at my feet and added needed material to my boots and it was day and night difference.
Before the boot fitter, my heels were sitting too low causing pressure points on my ankle bone causing blisters.
Because the heels were too low, the boots were trying to push my feet agains the front it was pretty bad.
After correction, everything is in the right places and now I can ride all day without any pain or heel lift.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The boot fitter just used off the shelf stuff and cut to fit.
He looked at my feet and added needed material to my boots and it was day and night difference.
Before the boot fitter, my heels were sitting too low causing pressure points on my ankle bone causing blisters.
Because the heels were too low, the boots were trying to push my feet agains the front it was pretty bad.
After correction, everything is in the right places and now I can ride all day without any pain or heel lift.
Ah sweet! Yea I have X-bars and a heel wedge in my boots, and it's an awesome fit, but I sometimes still get heel lift in my right foot. That said, we knowingly got a boot that was a half-size too large.

Definitely gonna buy the right size boot next year, but it's so hard for me to get boots in store since I need wide boots.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just rode again today.

Today marks day #4 on these boots, the pain gets unbearable at the end of the day causing me to end the day early which is driving me absolutely crazy.

I was in agony at the end of the day just waking back to the cabin in these.

Both of my big toes were throbbing, and still hurt a little now, after being out of the boots for almost 8 hours.

How long does break in normally take?

Is it so bad that you normally can't finish days?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts