Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
How does it ride...with that long split tail...it looks like it would want to keep you locked in the carve too long and feel kind of hooky...definitely not good for moguls/trees and flickability. Or maybe its just because of where the binders are placed in the pic.
It is really easy to throw around, feels like a solid mid-stiffish normal tail with a softer torsional give. It’s not that catchy. And it butters on the tail nicely, I can manage 2-3 full spins on the tail presses where on the really stiff UNW8 I catch the edge trying to muscle it around.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Yes! I want a "freeride style" board that is basically all mountain.
Capita Kazu, DC Supernatant, Yes PYL, Burton Deep Thinker, Salomon Speedway, Nitro Fusion or Squash.

Lately Squash is my favorite freeride board, just has a big pow nose slapped on the front. Handles mixed conditions incredibly well and the progressive sidecut with full camber and a short stiff tail make carving an absolute dream.

·
Registered
196 Posts
How does it ride...with that long split tail...it looks like it would want to keep you locked in the carve too long and feel kind of hooky...definitely not good for moguls/trees and flickability. Or maybe its just because of where the binders are placed in the pic.
Flicks easily .... very nimble

·
Registered
206 Posts
Flicks easily .... very nimble
Coming from an asym fish 166 I’d love to try that non-asym Archy or similar for freeride across all conditions.

I thought the funky fish tail would do what you’ve described Wraith (hook/hold). It doesn’t, at least not in a bad way. The tail fins are very forgiving and useful carving. Holds well in most carves and releases when I tell it to. I don’t see myself riding a purely C shaped tail ever again (I don’t bother with switch). A C shape with some angular points I can engage in turns might work as a compromise, like the Lost RNF or Rocket.

I need to ride a non-asym fish to compare and see whether it’s the asym that’s contributing most to the asym fish 166’s flickability or something else like setback or shorter radius sidecuts in general.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but what keeps the k2 overboard and joydriver from the freeride list while the manifest makes it?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Groomers great with regards to ice I live in Utah so that’s not really a thing but it has camber so imagine it would be fine.
It rides ice as good as any almost full camber mid-stiff board with a high bow in the middle (the nose is a spade but it has a really tiny rocker section). My only non-edge tech board that grips on ice slightly better is the Amplid UNW8 163 (they compare the UNW8 to the Custom X to give you some perspective).

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
PYL keeps coming back. But how is it in powder. Since my newest edition rips off piste pretty well, I want something to handle deeper conditions and the crud that ensues as the day progresses. Also something more “playful” than the XV.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
PYL keeps coming back. But how is it in powder. Since my newest edition rips off piste pretty well, I want something to handle deeper conditions and the crud that ensues as the day progresses. Also something more “playful” than the XV.
Well, it floats 'ok'. But it's not a powder board, that's for sure.

For real freeride/powder boards, you can check the recent 'board for Whistler' which has a few good options for boards that also float very well.

Also, Archetype. It's a good freeride board that rips groomers and floats very well. Doesn't have Fish-level float, but can definitely hang in deeper conditions and it's got a pretty reasonable flex you can press and pop with ease, also feels quite twinish.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
No. It is a freeride board. So it does have a precise/locked-in sidecut. But it is not a grabby-style board. For sure not hooky, but not as infinitely maneuverable as something like a Fish, Burton Stun Gun, Orca, most of the flat-rocker short fats, etc etc .

So basically... it's a pretty stable medium to big mountain type board that rips speed and groomers, it's fun and playful, floats very well (but not unsinkable) and can still be manageable in trees.

Archetype pow open bowl, avalanche debris, trees: http://instagr.am/p/Btb6rMLn8ZD/
Archetype pow fun and easy terrain: http://instagr.am/p/BfOTmu8F9sx/
But... my favorite freeride pow board is the B Landlord. Floats a lot better and is more sharp and agile that AType. BUT it has less edge hold and it is stiffer and less playful than the Archetype. Also, does not feel like a twin (which I like, but I think a lot of people don't).

Landlord: http://instagr.am/p/BSYwthCDDVf/

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for everyone’s input. After a week on my two DD (nitro pantera and Rossi magtek xv) I have come to the conclusion that a need a more chill board in the quiver. Something for trees, powder, side hits and riding when I’m too tired to pull g force carves top to bottom resort riding.

I’ve narrowed to:
Capita kazu
Yes PYL
Signal yup

Honestly the kazu may overlap my other boards too much. Really leaning towards the yup.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks for everyone’s input. After a week on my two DD (nitro pantera and Rossi magtek xv) I have come to the conclusion that a need a more chill board in the quiver. Something for trees, powder, side hits and riding when I’m too tired to pull g force carves top to bottom resort riding.

I’ve narrowed to:
Capita kazu
Yes PYL
Signal yup

Honestly the kazu may overlap my other boards too much. Really leaning towards the yup.
You'll love the yup.

Shoot me a message, maybe we can set something up so you can take a rip on mine. I'll be heading to loon and/or sunday river the 24-26. Likely back to loon again the 1st or 2nd week of feb. I have a 153.5 fwiw.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts

I’ve narrowed to:
Capita kazu
Yes PYL
Signal yup

I think Signal Yup is a great option. It's quite playful and agile for a 'freeride'-ish board. You can also look into the Deep Thinker or One Hitter.
Also, why not a Ride Warpig?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an XV, a Squash, and I'm looking at the Wired Vantage. XV is great in hard conditions but I think I'm looking for something a little more "playful" in soft snow, but still firmly in the freeride category.

·
Registered
426 Posts
This isn't on your list and I don't think it should be, but I'm really curious what the angry team will think of the signal wow. I think i read that they're going to review one soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All my Lib Tech stock tanked because of Kevin. Now I’m homeless and bootlegging WiFi in a Starbucks. Curses you SPC! Curses you!!!!

@Scalpelman I saw someone riding MT Snow on an archetype and while it looked very out of place he seemed to be riding it very nicely
I was riding my new Archetype at Mt. Snow on 12/21 & 12/22. I have no doubt that I also looked very much out place on it (especially with the limited snow that existed), but I had to warm up for Whistler this week and try the board out....

21 - 40 of 40 Posts