Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new freestyle deck. I already have burtons bindings so it needs to be a burton board. I am around 172 lbs and 10.5 US burton boot. I am not a jibber so something more jumps oriented. I want to use it to progress in a park riding so something with a good pop. I want to size down a little so it will be easier to spin and more maneuverable. I was looking to the Paramount 155 or Custom twin, but because of my foot size only 156 would suit me. I think the Paramount would do the trick but it doesn’t have the squeezebox so I don’t know how would that go.
Any ideas or thoughts?

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Free Thinker or Custom. Don't overthink it, and you don't really need a true twin to do jumps in the park. A directional twin is just fine; it will feel like a true twin except in powder.

Also Signal and Endeavor make channel boards so you don't have to go Burton.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Free Thinker or Custom. Don't overthink it, and you don't really need a true twin to do jumps in the park. A directional twin is just fine; it will feel like a true twin except in powder.

Also Signal and Endeavor make channel boards so you don't have to go Burton.
Yes, I am familiar with thise two brands but the problem is that it is really hard to find them here in EU.

I have thought about custom and free thinker but I am afraid they will be a little to aggressive for me. But on the other hand, the Process would be to soft I think. So something in between should work I guess. Therefore I thought Paramount should do the trick. Anyway, which sizes for custom and free thinker would you recommend me for my type of riding and on my specs.
Thank you for your time :)

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
If you're getting a Paramount for park, the 155 should be good. For all mountain I'd be a little hesitant about the width with 10.5 boots but unless you're aggressively carving hard on ice you'll be fine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I believe Signal will ship to the EU and their sale is still going on. Just an FYI.
Yes no doubt, but shipping cost 150 $, and EU taxes would need to be paid, so the final price would be much higher than for a Burton board. I would go would with a Burton one if I were you. It is also easier with a warranty if you need it, but hope not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're getting a Paramount for park, the 155 should be good. For all mountain I'd be a little hesitant about the width with 10.5 boots but unless you're aggressively carving hard on ice you'll be fine.
Do you think that the 155 would be that narrow? I read somewhere that it is slightly wider then other boards. Also the Burton boots have reduced footprint so I think it should be ok. But yeah, I am not attempting to lay down some hard euro carves .

Yes no doubt, but shipping cost 150 $, and I would need to pay EU taxes so final price would be much higher than for a Burton board. I would go would with a Burton one if I were you. It is also easier with a warranty if you need it, but hope not.
Yes, I have checked their webpage, and the shipping is pretty expensive :/

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes no doubt, but shipping cost 150 $, and EU taxes would need to be paid, so the final price would be much higher than for a Burton board. I would go would with a Burton one if I were you. It is also easier with a warranty if you need it, but hope not.
Ah bummer.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Do you think that the 155 would be that narrow? I read somewhere that it is slightly wider then other boards. Also the Burton boots have reduced footprint so I think it should be ok. But yeah, I am not attempting to lay down some hard euro carves .
I have a size 10 Thirtytwo boot and am cautious with any board with a waist width smaller than 255mm and tip/tail width less than 300mm. Not that they can't work, but above that I'll just buy the board and below I really look at the specs to determine what the width at inserts would be. I'm 6'3" and 200lbs so I'm also putting a lot of pressure on a board in carves and need to ride aggressively and fast to be able to lay over at all (while still getting back up). Any amount of boot out for me is going to turn me into an uncontrolled skier-seeking missile. Park-specific boards, meh, doesn't really matter much because I ride them differently.

I rode a Libtech Box Knife 157 this summer without any problems, but on harder winter snowpack or ice I'd be booting out on that for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a size 10 Thirtytwo boot and am cautious with any board with a waist width smaller than 255mm and tip/tail width less than 300mm. Not that they can't work, but above that I'll just buy the board and below I really look at the specs to determine what the width at inserts would be. I'm 6'3" and 200lbs so I'm also putting a lot of pressure on a board in carves and need to ride aggressively and fast to be able to lay over at all (while still getting back up). Any amount of boot out for me is going to turn me into an uncontrolled skier-seeking missile. Park-specific boards, meh, doesn't really matter much because I ride them differently.

I rode a Libtech Box Knife 157 this summer without any problems, but on harder winter snowpack or ice I'd be booting out on that for sure.
oh darn it :unsure: yes, I would use it mainly for a park riding but I usually never spend the whole day in the park. I usually bomb the groomers 2 or 3 times to warm myself in the morning and then a few lazy ones in the afternoon - just to play around a bit. What are yours stance angles if I may ask?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ride +15/-15 or +15/-12 depending on the board. I really do think you'll be fine on the 155 though unless you're really laying it over.
OK, thank you for your input. I just contacted the nearest Burton test center and they said that unfortunately they don’t have the Paramount 155 on stock for testing but they have the Custom 156, which is similar waist wise I guess, so I will try that one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Process is not that soft, it's got a nice flex.
Yes, but since I want to size down a bit, I would be on the upper end of a weight range, therefore it will be even softer and with less pop I suppose. I have always thought that it is more a jibbing board.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts