• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Advice for a New Freestyle Powder Board

Hi all, been riding for almost 15 years now and have rode nearly every brand snowboard at some point or another. I'll be moving from Park City to Jackson in November and would really like to get a freestyle-powder specific board anywhere from 150-157, prefer camber but open, primarily twin, good pop, and semi-wide as I ride an 11.5 boot. What I'm looking for is an extremely playful powder stick but that's not afraid of spins and bigger hits but also has enough stiffness to take on 10'+ cliffs.

Primarily I'm leaning toward the Bataleon Magic Carpet 156 just worried it may not be stiff enough for the really big stuff. Other boards that have caught my eye would be the Yes 20/20, Salomon Sick Stick, K2 Ultra Dream, Capita Kazu or BSOD, or possibly a Gnu Mullair.

I already have a full on powder stick (Burton Family Tree Juice Wagon) so in this board I'm really looking for something that thrives spinning and hitting big natural features, just a really lively and fun board in the deep stuff. Any advice helps, look forward to hearing back!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have an Ultrasplit, which is based off the Ultradream, and can attest that it will fit the bill, assuming the flex is similar, which I think is a reasonable assumption. It's pretty damn stiff through the middle and softens through to the tips and is more than solid enough to stick cliffs with confidence. It floats well, has a really fun tip and tail shape for pow butters, and is light, which is nice for spinning. Overall, I would say it's a worthy consideration.

I haven't ridden the other options listed, though, so I will refrain from voting.

Cheers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, really appreciate the advice! The amplid pillow talk is a board I've heard A LOT about but never really seen in person. Really sounds fun in the powder, with some killer pop and the price is right.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Voted Ultradream.

But yeah, Amplid Pillow Talk, Rossi Jibsaw HD, Rome Mod Rocker, upsize a K2 BottleRocket, or a Ride Warpig or Burnout. I'd take any of those as freestyle pow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After reading all the reviews and learning a little more I think I'm going to go with the Amplid Pillow Talk! Board looks like an unreal amount of fun especially throwing down in the powder. Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts